The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   San Juan Puerto Rico (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3015764)

sassysocks 10-31-2012 10:28 PM

San Juan Puerto Rico

What are the must see places and restaurants in San Juan Puerto Rico?

wickedpixie13 10-31-2012 10:38 PM

The Bacardi distillery is in San Juan, if you like rum. There's also a great rainforest (who's name escapes me at the moment). We took a Princess cruise from San Juan a few years ago, so we only had a day or two beforehand/afterward to do stuff.

disneyfan888 10-31-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedpixie13 (Post 46599554)
The Bacardi distillery is in San Juan, if you like rum. There's also a great rainforest (who's name escapes me at the moment). We took a Princess cruise from San Juan a few years ago, so we only had a day or two beforehand/afterward to do stuff.

Actually, the Bacardi distillery is the town of Cataño, you take a ferry from San Juan to the other side of the bay where the distillery is. Many people call it San Juan because of its proximity. The rain forest is called "El Yunque" and is in the town of Luquillo which is an hour and half to two hours from San Juan depending on traffic. San Juan has the fort of "El Morro" and "Castillo San Cristobal" which were made when the Spaniards owned the Island and used to protect the Island from invaders. Many wonderful restaurants such as "Aguaviva" (Sea food), Casa de España (Spanish food), Vaca Brava (local traditional food, featured on Man-vs-food). Many carts with local finger foods and sweets. Many shops. The San Juan museum of art. You have a couple of options. Lot's of history. I hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to ask. we use to live in PR and are excited to visit on our cruise that leaves this Saturday :goodvibes

wickedpixie13 10-31-2012 11:18 PM

Oh yes, and if you're walking around El Morro and you're on the bottom walkway, don't bother going all the way around, there isn't a way up to the top and you'll just have a very long walk and a disgruntled husband who will keep saying "i told you so!" Or maybe that's just me who had that! lol.

slg4crzn 11-01-2012 12:05 AM

Thank you for all the great info. Fantasy for NYE. I love walking through the fortress.

jlowejd5 11-01-2012 12:54 AM

We're on the 12/1 sailing. I'm hoping somebody posts their Navigators for the PR day. A friend's husband grew up in San Juan, so we're hoping he can suggest some sights. BTW, cruise docs arrived today. Whoot!

disneyfan888 11-01-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlowejd5 (Post 46600068)
We're on the 12/1 sailing. I'm hoping somebody posts their Navigators for the PR day. A friend's husband grew up in San Juan, so we're hoping he can suggest some sights. BTW, cruise docs arrived today. Whoot!

We are on the 11/3/12 sailing, inaugural Puerto Rico voyage :goodvibes

I will be more than happy to post the Navigator for the PR day. My husband is from PR and I was raised there, so we are pretty excited to have the Disney cruise sail us to the lovely Island. 2 more days to go! pixiedust:

maxmouse 11-01-2012 10:41 AM

Raices in old San Juan was so good we ate there three days straight. I still dream about the deep fied pork.

disneyfan888 11-01-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxmouse (Post 46601943)
Raices in old San Juan was so good we ate there three days straight. I still dream about the deep fied pork.

YES! Raices is a very good one!! :)

DebbieA 11-01-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneyfan888 (Post 46601525)

I will be more than happy to post the Navigator for the PR day. My husband is from PR and I was raised there, so we are pretty excited to have the Disney cruise sail us to the lovely Island. 2 more days to go! pixiedust:

Have a wonderful cruise! Looking forward to seeing the navigators!:yay:

#1 goof 11-01-2012 11:53 AM

Anyone been to
Old Harbor Brewery?

KaryCam 11-01-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneyfan888 (Post 46601525)

Please post all your Navigators, not just PR.

I am on the 3/9/13 sailing to PR. We all are interested in them and the dining rotations, etc.
Thanks!

kimberlyelayne 11-01-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaryCam (Post 46602754)

I am on the 3/9/13 sailing to PR. We all are interested in them and the dining rotations, etc.
Thanks!

Yes please I am going in Jan and waiting to see them :goodvibes

Douvres Family 11-01-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxmouse (Post 46601943)

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneyfan888 (Post 46601982)
YES! Raices is a very good one!! :)

Yes...Raices restaurant!!! I'm from PR and have family there...highly recommended. My SIL and her DH (they are Greek & Irish) went to Raices also during their cruise...they loved it!

El Yunque is pretty awesome...

Have a great time!!!

disneyfan888 11-01-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaryCam (Post 46602754)

Thanks!

I would be more than happy to :)

We have gone to the Harbor Brewery. The food is very good, but a bit pricey.
A lot of people like the design it has, it is very pretty. The steak and lobster are wonderful.