The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Beaches and Cream....Gluten free? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3015711)

peainapod 10-31-2012 07:04 PM

Beaches and Cream....Gluten free?

Do they have gluten free?

dawnball 10-31-2012 08:05 PM

Last time I was there, I'd say "decent". They can make some of the sundaes gluten free. They'd probably clean a milkshake machine so you could have a gluten free shake. I think they offered us bunless burgers and baked fries. They at least occasionally have gluten free buns. It took a long time to get a chef, I think he came from another restaurant, and I know our food was cooked in another kitchen and brought over.

Roxychica7 11-01-2012 11:43 AM

You can always call to ask. They are very good about allergies in general. I do know they have dairy free ice cream there , but not sure about the no gluten

clanmcculloch 11-01-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnball (Post 46598526)
Last time I was there, I'd say "decent". They can make some of the sundaes gluten free. They'd probably clean a milkshake machine so you could have a gluten free malt. I think they offered us bunless burgers and baked fries. They at least occasionally have gluten free buns. It took a long time to get a chef, I think he came from another restaurant, and I know our food was cooked in another kitchen and brought over.

There's no such thing as a gluten free malt. Malt by definition is barley based which means gluten. You can get gluten free milkshakes but not malts. If a restaurant is telling you that they're giving you a gluten free malt then run, do not walk, to the exit.

I already answered on the disabilities board with some details about B&C.

dawnball 11-01-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clanmcculloch (Post 46603958)
There's no such thing as a gluten free malt. Malt by definition is barley based which means gluten. You can get gluten free milkshakes but not malts. If a restaurant is telling you that they're giving you a gluten free malt then run, do not walk, to the exit.

I already answered on the disabilities board with some details about B&C.

OMG, I can't believe I wrote that. Thank you for catching it! The thought started as "milkshake machine so you could have a malt-free shake", and I decided that wasn't clear about the malt-cross contamination issue. What I ended up with was even worse.

This is what I get for posting while taking muscle relaxants. Yes, there is no such thing as a gluten-free malt, and I'd run like heck from that too.

I'll also add that IME "wash" involves a cloth that may or may not have been used to clean up allergen-laden messes and stored in a bucket of sanitizer, then a rinse with a cup of soda water spun on the machine (like it was a shake).