The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Debating between AoA, POR or DVC Rental (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3015583)

krohloff08 10-31-2012 12:32 PM

Debating between AoA, POR or DVC Rental

Hello!
We are taking a trip next November and my girls would really like to stay at AoA. We are a family of 5 (My girls will be 9, 5 and 2) but can still fit into a Little Mermaid Room. I tihnk that we will be way to cramped but a suite would run over $1200 more for the 7 nights right now. I thought maybe we could do a Royal Room at the POR. Does anyone know if those rooms come with a trundle bed?

My last thought was renting points for a 2 bedroom villa at a DVC. We will also have my parents and my brother/sister in law along.

Any feedback so far on how the buses are running for AoA? Do the lines seem longer since it is a larger resort?

What would you do?

Thanks in advance!

francie57 10-31-2012 01:48 PM

I would look into renting points for a villa. The location of the villas can't be beat. BLT is walking distance to MK if that is where you will spend your time and BC/BW are walking/boat distance to two parks. There is also WL/AK/OKW/SSR. We love the Epcot area villas and have stayed at both many times. You will have two bathrooms at most (BLT and AK have 3, I think), a full kitchen for quick breakfasts, snacks, drinks, and you will have an in rooom washer/drywer which is wonderful so you don't have to pack as much and can return home with clean clothes. Best of all you will have enough room to spread out and not be cramped at all. If the rental price of the points is within your budget I wouldn't hesitate to go with the villa.

Robbi 10-31-2012 02:11 PM

If you're looking for just your family you might be able to rent a 1 bd DVC unit since your youngest is 2. You would have a king bed in one room and a queen sleeper in the other room. There has always been a child's fold up bed stored in the closet when we've stayed DVC. The kitchen is nice too. The bathrooms are 2 rooms-one with a garden tub and vanity sink and the other with a shower, toilet and pedestal sink. It's nice because 2 people can bathe and dress at the same time.

chemnerd09 10-31-2012 03:28 PM

I would go with the DVC rental. My family and I usually stay at DVC rentals because we get all of the amenities of a deluxe for about the price of a moderate. The DVC villas also has more room which keeps everyone from getting into each others way. I stayed in a little mermaid room with my mom last October and I think you will a hard time trying to fit 5 people in one room.

softballmom3 10-31-2012 03:53 PM

I was in the same place you were :). Last year we stayed POR and really thought we might like to stay AoA next year in a Cars suite.....well after checking into pricing and checking into points we decided to rent points and stay DVC this next time. I think we will really like it :). We will see!!! The pricing was cheaper than a suite and room for POR, I am happy!

magicaldisney 10-31-2012 04:26 PM

DVC would be a great option. Personally I would go with AKV or BLT for the extra bathroom. Please do your research on DVC rentals and know both the pros and cons....and yes there are some things that you might consider cons.

krohloff08 10-31-2012 04:35 PM

I think I have everyone convinced into a DVC rental. That way there are no worries about not having rooms near each other. I would love to stay at BLT but for the cost may end up with AKL. Either way I think we will be happy!

Thanks for the input!

Lynne M 11-01-2012 10:26 AM

If you do decide to go with a DVC rental for next November, keep in mind that that can be an extremely busy time of year for DVC bookings, especially if you're planning to go towards the end of the month, or if you're looking at BWV or BCV.

Owners can begin booking their home resort at 11 months out from the arrival date, so I'd recommend getting an owner lined up very soon so they can reserve a villa for you at 11 months.

CarpeDisney 11-01-2012 11:31 AM

Be sure to remember this "con" about your stay in a DVC villa next November....

It may be very difficult to travel back to Disney after this trip, and not stay in a villa. You may be spoiled by the kitchen, living area and multiple bathrooms. :thumbsup2

Now for the serious advice:

Be sure that, when you place the reservation for a 2 BR villa (if this is in fact what you're looking for), you understand the differences of two distinct styles of units. There are 2 styles of 2BR villas at most of the DVC resorts. A "lock off" 2 BR will feature a living area, a kitchen, a master bedroom suite, and a second bedroom that is actually a connecting "studio" unit. This studio unit will have a queen bed, a pull out sofa (that sleeps 2) and a full bathroom. A "dedicated" 2 bedroom will give you the same living area, kitchen, and master bedroom suite, but the second bedroom will have its own bathroom and 2 queen size beds.

Depending on your plans for sleeping arrangements, this could have an impact on the reservation.

Deb & Bill 11-01-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarpeDisney (Post 46602945)
...A "dedicated" 2 bedroom will give you the same living area, kitchen, and master bedroom suite, but the second bedroom will have its own bathroom and 2 queen size beds.

Depending on your plans for sleeping arrangements, this could have an impact on the reservation.

Not all dedicated two bedroom villas will have two queen beds in the second bedroom and not all lockoff two bedroom villas will have a queen bed and a double sleeper sofa. OKW two bedrooms, whether dedicated or lockoff, have two queen beds in the second bedroom. BCV dedicated two bedroom villas may have two queen beds (25 villas) or one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa (all the rest) because some of the dedicated two bedrooms were too small for two queen beds.

BUT all two bedroom villas at BWV and AKV-Jambo House are lockoffs. None are dedicated. So all value two bedroom villas are lockoffs because they are only in Jambo House.

CarpeDisney 11-01-2012 01:46 PM

Deb&Bill-

Good clarification.

Seeing that the OP was considering BLT or AKV, I provided the 2BR villa information based on those resorts. And as another poster mentioned "extra bathrooms" at these resorts, my mind automaticlaly went with the Kidani layouts for AKV.

krohloff08 11-01-2012 01:49 PM

Thank you all for the information, especially on the 2 bedroom layouts. I appreciate it!

Sammie 11-01-2012 06:08 PM

As noted by the others to get some DVC locations in Nov. you will need to book 11 months out, at the very minimum 7 months out.

Also with 3 young children will having no cancellation with a DVC rental be a problem for you. I just know how much can happen in that length of time with small children.

Also with the DVC rental you will not get daily housekeeping, not sure if that is something you enjoy and you will get limited towels and toiletries which are replaced on your Trash and Towel day, the 4th day after check in.

rentayenta 11-01-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krohloff08
Hello!
We are taking a trip next November and my girls would really like to stay at AoA. We are a family of 5 (My girls will be 9, 5 and 2) but can still fit into a Little Mermaid Room. I tihnk that we will be way to cramped but a suite would run over $1200 more for the 7 nights right now. I thought maybe we could do a Royal Room at the POR. Does anyone know if those rooms come with a trundle bed?

My last thought was renting points for a 2 bedroom villa at a DVC. We will also have my parents and my brother/sister in law along.

Any feedback so far on how the buses are running for AoA? Do the lines seem longer since it is a larger resort?

What would you do?

Thanks in advance!

Having stayed at all 3 of the choices given, I'd rent DVC points. Seven nights in a standard room but would be overwhelming for me. The AoA suites are a nicer size and the resort is adorable. It's very loud though and the food area is fairly chaotic. We only stayed one night to check it out and with the 6 of us, I'm glad that's all we stayed.

We stayed 10 night at the POR in 2007- our first trip. Their food court is much larger and the resort has a more relaxing vibe.

We own DVC and I can't say enough good things about it. I like my space while on vacation. Even though Disney and relaxing don't always go hand in hand, they can. A 2 bedroom DVC would give you a full kitchen. Even if you don't cook, it's so nice to have real snacks and the ability to cook something easy if you want. Plus they've got a washer and dryer. I've stayed at the THV, OKW, and AKV both Jambo and Kidani. I'd rent points if you can. A 2 bedroom at Kidani would also give you a third bathroom. Heaven!

Good luck!

Butterflygirl35 11-02-2012 08:26 AM

I would go with DVC rental if you can get a booking for your dates.

You will be getting a Deluxe resort for much less than rack rate pricing.

I would also check with Magical Vacations to see if they have any exclusives on your dates as sometimes you can get a deluxe for cost of a moderate.

Good luck and happy planning!