The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Garden Grill (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3015371)

kopppa33 10-30-2012 09:33 PM

Garden Grill

How is the food there? Do you like? This is the one with the rotation I believe right and Characters? If I get motion sickeness easily should i pass on this one?:cool1:

aaarcher86 10-30-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kopppa33 (Post 46591167)
How is the food there? Do you like? This is the one with the rotation I believe right and Characters? If I get motion sickeness easily should i pass on this one?:cool1:

Yep, this restaurant rotates and has a few characters (off memory I believe Chip, Dale, Pluto and Mickey in farmer gear). It rotates very slowly. I don't think you'll have a problem with motion sickness.

I don't recall the food being bad, but I do remember it was our least favorite of the trip. We are doing it again in February, so it clearly wasn't something that will keep us away! :thumbsup2

kris4360 10-30-2012 09:49 PM

We love the food! AUCE Family style, beef, turkey and fish with smashed potatoes, dressing and veggie. And dessert. The restaurant doesnt turn that fast i don't think you should have a problem with motion sickness.

TheRustyScupper 10-30-2012 10:53 PM

Our Ratings of Garden Grill: (rev 2/13/12)
. . . food price value: B
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: A
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: C
. . . character interaction: B

NOTE1: The eatery revolves within The Land pavilion. Portions of the spin
include farm scenes from the boat ride. The food is plentiful, with quality
about average. Remember, you pay for the characters and not the food or
food quality. Food is served "family style" and there is always more, as it is
all-you-care-to-eat. The characters include Mickey, Pluto and Chip-n-Dale.

NOTE2: The lower deck tables have seats on one-side, which can make talking
among the table diners tough, especially if you have six-to-eight people, which
takes about 12-feet in linear distance. This also means that you cannot easily
stand to interact with characters. The upper level has standard tables that
seat people facing each other and you can stand and interact. I recommend
the upper tier for characters; lower for viewing the river-ride scenery. The
is little chance of motion sickness, asa the eatery moves so slowly. If you do
have a concern, as for the upper level where such happens rarely.

Princess on the Run 10-30-2012 11:02 PM

We did not like the food or really much of anything about Garden Grill but I think you will see that my family is in the minority on this issue because a lot of people love it. The food choices aren't things my family cares for and I did not like the fixed menu at all. I thought the kids platters were very unbalanced nutritionally and wasn't overly enthused with what they brought for adults either. The aisles are very narrow and with the characters coming around, there was a lot of congestion. The character interaction is fantastic though. We will never go back but I know it seems to be high on a lot of people's lists so take my opinions with a grain of salt or two.

lovedworld 10-31-2012 12:38 AM

We were there 3 weeks ago. We loved the food and the characters were great. The resturant rotates very slowly, we did just about one rotation during the whole meal. I think you should try it and decide for yourself. We loved it.

Space Mountain Kid 10-31-2012 01:01 PM

We love the food there, its very good. the characters i believe are mickey,minnie,chip,dale and i believe goofy and pluto. the garden grill rotates slowly so i dont think it will be a problem. but garden grill is a thumbs up for me and my family.:thumbsup2

wcpamotm 10-31-2012 01:48 PM

It's likely to be the slowest "ride" you'll experience the entire time.

Roxychica7 10-31-2012 02:29 PM

We ate there back in 2008 and are eating there again. It is a very laid back character dinner. We personally thought the food was excellent and fresh!

The GG rotates SO slowly. You will just notice that the views below will start to shift scenes but at a very gradual pace. You will definitely NOT notice it is moving even if you get up and walk around. :thumbsup2

TheRustyScupper 10-31-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wcpamotm (Post 46596109)
It's likely to be the slowest "ride" you'll experience the entire time.

I always thought the wrong line at the bank was the slowest "ride".

RachaelA 10-31-2012 02:59 PM

We just ate there 2 weeks ago. The food was not bad, but it wasn't good. It was pretty mediocre. I did like the character interaction in the sense that they all came by 4-5 times in the 90 minutes we were there other than Mickey who just came by twice.

DD enjoyed Chef Mickey's much more though because she loved dancing around and waving her napkin during the song. And she had much more room to move around with the characters while at Garden Grill, your space is much more limited. DH and I thought the food was a bit better at CM's too (probably because there were more options).

We won't be going back anytime soon.

conniehar90 10-31-2012 04:27 PM

We went last year. The character interaction is great. I thought the food was good but my DD (who was 10) didn't like what was on the adult platter. They were more than happy to bring her the kids platter but we had to pay the adult price. She honestly didn't really like the food on the kids platter either so I felt like I paid a ton of money for nothing. We won't be back.

JennyDrake 10-31-2012 05:14 PM

I am a Hard Core Foodie and while Boma is MUCH more my style, I go to GG when SIL travels with me as she is very "Meat and Potatoes." I have not found anything there to be BAD. In fact, the flank steak, seasonal veggies and salad are downright GOOD. The turkey is standard Butterbal-ized white meat injected with all kinds of crap. The stuffing is straight of the box as are the mashed potatoes. The cobbler was good fruit topped with straight out of the box yellow cake mix cake type topping. We both get full and we both leave happy--so what's not to like????

DJHPMouse 10-31-2012 06:04 PM

Our family loves Garden Grill. A must for us every trip.

pixarmom 10-31-2012 09:15 PM

Garden Grill has always been our boys' favorite character meal and our arrival night tradition for longer trips. Our kids are now ages 5, 12 and 13, and they have always loved it. Great character interaction, very low key for a character meal and we love the non-buffet family style service.

As for the food, I have always loved the bread and salad. Sometimes the flank steak is really good and sometimes it's OK. Sometimes the fish is great and sometimes it's OK. I've never eaten much of the dessert because I'm pretty much full after the salad and bread! Our oldest son eats exclusively from the adult platters and likes everything except for the fish.

As for the kids' items, they have changed. Our youngest likes the chicken, mac and cheese and the mashed potatoes. Our middle son is our pickiest eater, and he likes the bread, the mashed potatoes and the mac and cheese. (We require a few veggies - not their favorite part of the meal, but they eat them.) I really love the sweet potato fries they bring out with the kids' platter, but the kids aren't crazy about them.

So I'd say overall it's a great character meal. We're significantly decreasing our character dining because of the ages of our kids and the frequency of our Disney vacations. But Garden Grill still makes the cut - it's our only character meal of the week in January!