The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Another "which resort" question.... just really want your opinions please! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3013844)

emer95 10-27-2012 08:20 AM

Another "which resort" question.... just really want your opinions please!

Hi everyone,
We are going to Disney August 22-27th. We are booked right now in a LM room at AoA without a discount. Just for the heck of it I asked out TA to price out Port Orleans. With the AAA discount, it would only be $300 more to stay there.

What would you do?

Here's some details about us. We have two daughters, who will be 13 and 14 when we go. On our previous trips we have stayed off-site, at Pop twice, and at Coronado Springs.

I'd love some expert opinions. Thanks.

partypa 10-27-2012 09:19 AM

AoA is cute as can be but I think your Girls would much prefer Port Orleans and so would you. I would pick Riverside over French Quarter, if there is a choice. The Moderates are a very nice step up from the Value Resorts, nothing wrong with the Value Resorts but the Amenities are just so lovely at the Moderates. We Love Riverside, have stayed many, many times. All the Pools, the Hot Tub, the Boat to Downtown Disney, the beautiful grounds and the best Food Court, Yum

HappyMomma 10-27-2012 09:24 AM

I've stayed value twice, and mod once so far. We stayed at PoFQ. I highly recommend going moderate over value. I loved the garden like atmosphere and walking along the water.....it's very tranquil in comparison to the values. IMO.

fla4fun 10-27-2012 09:29 AM

With two teens, I would think that the larger bed at the mod resort would be better. I remember trying to share with my sister on vacation, and there were some rough nights when it was a double instead of a queen at the hotel. Plus, the rooms in the mod resorts are slightly larger than the value rooms, and when you're all in there together, every bit of space counts.

However, it also depends on the level of "in your face" theming you want. AoA is very bright and vivid Disney themeing. POFQ and POR are more subtle themes. In your mind, compare Pop to CSR, since you've stayed at those two resorts. Comparing PO to AoA LM rooms would be a similar comparison.

If it were me, I would go with the mod, if paying the extra doesn't put any extra strain on your budget.

married2mm 10-27-2012 09:30 AM

AoA looks great-por is lovely- we stayed there in august. :goodvibes

i think making your final decision depends on a couple of key factors-

how long you will spend at the resort?
do you want full disney theming-all the time?
would you use ts restaurant at por?

personally, i feel a hotel room is simply a place to sleep.
we have stayed at values and mods and not really preferred one over the other.

we do prefer villas though-with extra bathroms, bedrooms, kitchen and general living space :)

Sue M 10-27-2012 09:54 AM

POR is our fav moderate resort. The theming is just beautiful, and it has more to offer with a boat to DTD, evening entertainment, marina, fishing hole, beautiful landscaping, and Queen beds. Larger rooms.

To us a room isn't just a place to shower and sleep, we aren't commando parks opening till closing. We like to take a mid day break back at our resort, or spend an evening enjoying our resort amenities. So resort choice is important to us.

GrumpyBelle 10-27-2012 11:13 AM

Personally I like the moderates over the values so I would choose POR.

maxiesmom 10-27-2012 12:45 PM

POR is one of my favorite resorts!I would choose POR. AoA looks better suited to those under the age of 9, imho.

DisneyWishes14 10-27-2012 04:00 PM

I would pick POR over AoA. You may also want to look into Magical Vacations Travel. They always hold an agency exclusive discount that week and it looks like you could book BC or YC through them for around the same price as the AAA discount at POR. We stayed at YC with their discount in August last year and it was fantastic!

AntFarm 10-27-2012 04:52 PM

For just $300 more, I would go with the moderate resort. Port Orleans looks beautiful, serene, and seems like it has a lot of Disney vibe in its own way. I like the option of the boat to Downtown Disney too. I think it would appeal more to most teens than AOA, although I'm sure a lot of teens like the big, colorful theming as much as younger kids :goodvibes

CajunMomof3 10-27-2012 04:59 PM

I have to agree with PPs. I would go with PO. The food court is amazing, the theming is phenomenal, and, if you notice my screen name, in general I am for all things with a Cajun tone!

rudetreehill 10-27-2012 05:01 PM

Throwing my support behind Port Orleans Riverside. It's my favorite moderate resort. Gorgeous grounds, fantastic pool, good pool bar. I've stayed there many times. My fave resort is Wilderness Lodge, but when I can't afford that, I'm usually at POR or the cabins at Fort Wilderness

Tralfie/Richard

chemnerd09 10-27-2012 05:53 PM

I would chose the moderate over a value. We recently came back from a trip where we stayed at Pop then Saratoga Springs and then AoA. AoA is definitely in your face with the Disney theming which is great for younger kids, but I think maybe a bit much for your daughters. As others have said, a moderate has more room and nicer amenities. I actually liked staying at the POP but I wouldn't stay at AoA again. Of the moderates, I really enjoyed Port Orleans French quarter. I liked walking around the resort when we were taking a break from the parks.