The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   California & the West (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Which airport to fly into for DL? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3011951)

Mary T in PA 10-23-2012 10:05 AM

Which airport to fly into for DL?
 
I am looking at going to Disneyland and it's been over 30yrs since I've been to DL and we flew into LAX so I am sure alot of things have changed since then. ;)

I can get good airfare on a nonstop flight to LAX but I hear horror stories about LAX.

SNA seems closer but isn't nonstop and not too much cheaper.

Suggestions and advice are needed..thanks!!

jdb in AZ 10-23-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary T in PA (Post 46524045)
I am looking at going to Disneyland and it's been over 30yrs since I've been to DL and we flew into LAX so I am sure alot of things have changed since then. ;)

I can get good airfare on a nonstop flight to LAX but I hear horror stories about LAX.

SNA seems closer but isn't nonstop and not too much cheaper.

Suggestions and advice are needed..thanks!!

SNA is closer, smaller, fewer people, shorter security lines, and less hassle. If it's cheaper than LAX, go for it!

Huff 10-23-2012 10:37 PM

There are 5 airports serving the Los Angeles area. Here is their distance to Disneyland. LAX is a big airport and traffic on 405 south can be horrible. Off rush hour times can be fine though. SNA, LGB, ONT and BUR are all much smaller airports very easy to get in and out of.

SNA 12 miles
LAX 35 miles
LGB 18 miles
ONT 32 miles
BUR 40 miles

deej696 10-26-2012 08:47 AM

Flown into LAX for both of our trips to DL. No problems either time. Hopped right on the Super Shuttle, and we were at the resort within an hour of getting off the plane. Of course, we always carry on bags and arrived late at night both times...

Twinprincesses 10-26-2012 09:01 AM

We have done both LAX and SNA. SNA was cheaper for us this trip.

NWT 11-23-2012 12:48 AM

We have flown into the LAX every trip. It is fine. We always take the Disneyland Express Bus to our hotel in Anaheim.

Maleficent59 11-27-2012 09:43 PM

If you haven't already booked airfare, my recommendation is to fly into SNA if the difference in cost isn't too great. SNA is a lot more relaxed and very convenient to DLR. Car rentals are conveniently located on-site. If you do not plan to drive, the SuperShuttle rate from SNA to the hotels around Disneyland is very reasonable: $10 per person.

LAX is more congested and a little more difficult to navigate. Car rentals are mostly off-site and the Super Shuttle rate is $16pp.

Either is fine, but my personal preference is SNA (if you're flying Southwest, the airport monitors say Santa Ana - not Orange or John Wayne). Good luck!

Mary T in PA 12-11-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maleficent59 (Post 46803701)
If you haven't already booked airfare, my recommendation is to fly into SNA if the difference in cost isn't too great. SNA is a lot more relaxed and very convenient to DLR. Car rentals are conveniently located on-site. If you do not plan to drive, the SuperShuttle rate from SNA to the hotels around Disneyland is very reasonable: $10 per person.

LAX is more congested and a little more difficult to navigate. Car rentals are mostly off-site and the Super Shuttle rate is $16pp.

Either is fine, but my personal preference is SNA (if you're flying Southwest, the airport monitors say Santa Ana - not Orange or John Wayne). Good luck!

Thanks...how is the driving from SNA to DL?

cagirl4life 12-11-2012 11:31 PM

I hate driving in California but the drive from SNA to Disneyland is a breeze!

Mary T in PA 12-13-2012 10:02 AM

Thank you ALL!

I am now looking to book a great airfare from PIT to SNA in early to mid June with a decent stop at DFW..mid day arrival and a 9am return flight home.

I am not sure about renting a car or taking the shuttle...since so many of you said the drive isn't too bad and the airport isn't too bad to navigate, we may try to rent.

IS parking onsite at DL bad?? Or did I misread?

bcla 12-13-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary T in PA (Post 46916553)
Thank you ALL!

I am now looking to book a great airfare from PIT to SNA in early to mid June with a decent stop at DFW..mid day arrival and a 9am return flight home.

I am not sure about renting a car or taking the shuttle...since so many of you said the drive isn't too bad and the airport isn't too bad to navigate, we may try to rent.

IS parking onsite at DL bad?? Or did I misread?

Parking at DL is easy. They've got electronic signs all around directing you to the parking lots and garages.

Renting a car at SNA is super easy as long as you don't go off-site. The on-site rentals are right in the parking garage across from baggage claim. 200 ft, one elevator, another 100-200 ft and you're there.

If the rates aren't too much different, don't go for the off-site rentals. Renting on-site will save at least a half hour. The tricky thing is guessing which one to use. I had several reservations and cancelled all but the lowest rate. Avis had a line about 8 deep, while Enterprise had only one person ahead of me. It's tough figuring out what you'll see.

ahutton 12-14-2012 04:53 PM

If you won't use your car during the trip, a cab is also fairly inexpensive from SNA. DH took one and it was a breeze. There is so much in walking distance around DL that unless you are visiting other attractions you may not use it. I drove on both visits (DH was there for part of one trip) and once we parked the car at the hotel we never used it again. And most area hotels charge for daily parking.

jdb in AZ 12-14-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahutton (Post 46926374)
If you won't use your car during the trip, a cab is also fairly inexpensive from SNA. DH took one and it was a breeze. There is so much in walking distance around DL that unless you are visiting other attractions you may not use it. I drove on both visits (DH was there for part of one trip) and once we parked the car at the hotel we never used it again. And most area hotels charge for daily parking.

Agree. Last time we rented a car it just sat in the hotel parking lot. Now we catch the shuttle or a cab.

swooshbear 12-20-2012 01:00 PM

Agree with the last post. If you don't plan to leave DL, then a cab or shuttle is the way to go. Parking at DL is $15, plus you will pay for parking at the hotel - $15+ depending where you stay.

travelmomof3 12-28-2012 07:03 AM

We also chose to fly into SNA for same reasons others mentioned--main one being proximity to Disneyland :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.