The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Dining on the cheap :) (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009910)

parkhopping 10-18-2012 11:49 PM

Dining on the cheap :)

I'm a local-ish passholder, so when I eat at WDW it's always OOP. Park food is generally more expensive than what I can get at a drive-thru on the way in or can bring in myself, so I rarely eat at the park restaurants. I am always on the lookout for affordable lunch or dinner options, though. What have you spotted that's a good deal, especially things that are $5 and under? I already know about the ham and cheese croissants at the bakery in France - a great choice at $3 and change - and this thread gave me hope for finding a good-sized portion of mac 'n cheese for a similar price.

Ro Z 10-19-2012 12:14 AM

Kids meals are enough for me but not for the rest of the family. You can get a great hot dog in Germany. Don't remember the cost. The chicken fried rice at YY counter service is a snack option so it must be under $5. I love it! Prob the fries too. Can't think of any other food under $5 but lots of stuff if you share. I wouldn't expect to get too much under $5. ;)

bluejasmine 10-19-2012 08:10 AM

The big burger at Pecos Bills and The chicken wrap are huge two ppl can eat those! Its over $5 but will defanitely fill two ppl up plus they will come with fries and the toppings bar!

Earl of sandwhich in DTD the sandwiches are amazing they are $5.95 you can bring your own chips and drink if you like..I did that once on a very budgeted trip..

sharonabe 10-19-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkhopping (Post 46487248)
I'm a local-ish passholder, so when I eat at WDW it's always OOP. Park food is generally more expensive than what I can get at a drive-thru on the way in or can bring in myself, so I rarely eat at the park restaurants. I am always on the lookout for affordable lunch or dinner options, though. What have you spotted that's a good deal, especially things that are $5 and under? I already know about the ham and cheese croissants at the bakery in France - a great choice at $3 and change - and this thread gave me hope for finding a good-sized portion of mac 'n cheese for a similar price.

Thanks for giving me a challenge and a reason to go peruse the menus (AGAIN).

AK--Jalapeno pretzel at Harambe; Cheesesticks w/marinara at Pizzafari; Fried rice at YaknYeti

HS--Corn dog or nachos at Herbie's; Soup of the day at Rosie's

Epcot--Soup or side salad (maybe both) at Sunshine Seasons; Chinese buns, egg rolls, or curry pockets at Joy of Tea stand; Chilli or chilli cheese fries at Liberty Inn; Potstickers at Lotus Blossom; and (my favorite!) $2.99 sides at Tangieriene.

MK-- Corn dog nuggets at Casey';, Chilli, chowder, or couscous at Columbia Harbor; Chicken noodle soup at Cosmic Ray's; Hummus and chips at Gaston's; Breadsticks, soup or side salad at Pinnochio; Soup at Sleepyhollow.

Quin 10-19-2012 08:56 AM

CS locations list everything as baskets that come with fries or chips or some other side. But you can tell the CM you just want to order the sandwich/entree item only, without the fries, and that takes more than a dollar off the cost.

Plain water to drink, of course, because ice water is free.

parkhopping 10-20-2012 12:13 PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone! I know under $5 is a challenge, and I'm probably one of the few who is very budget-conscious at Disney because I'm never on vacation :)

Ro Z, have you ever been given a hard time at CS restaurants when ordering from the kid's menu? I've never tried it because they put an age limit on it. I know that's enforced at TS restaurants but am wondering if it's the same way for CS.

tobikaye 10-20-2012 12:21 PM

I have never had trouble ordering a kid's meal. Besides, especially at CS, how are they to know who it is for? For all they know, you are just ordering for a kid that is waiting away from the line.

Ro Z 10-20-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkhopping (Post 46498733)
Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone! I know under $5 is a challenge, and I'm probably one of the few who is very budget-conscious at Disney because I'm never on vacation :)

Ro Z, have you ever been given a hard time at CS restaurants when ordering from the kid's menu? I've never tried it because they put an age limit on it. I know that's enforced at TS restaurants but am wondering if it's the same way for CS.

Never had a problem. They don't ask to see the child. :goodvibes LOL I just can't eat that much. DH eats 24/7 so I never have time to get hungry!
:rotfl2: I do like a nice sit down dinner so breakfast and lunch are always a kids meal! Or we share.

tinkerbells mum 10-20-2012 12:52 PM

Try the chilli at Pecos Bills it counts as a snack credit so must be under $5 you can add cheese from the fixings bar it was a decent size portion and felt like a meal as it was savoury rather than a sweet snack!

patriciaofoz 10-20-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkhopping (Post 46498733)

Great post! And hello from a fellow budget-conscious DW visitor :wave2:

Jotting this all down so we know where to eat whilst doing WDW.

ExpatDisneyLover 10-20-2012 01:30 PM

Like you I go and I am not on vacation. I like to pack a lunch myself but sometimes I am looking for a Disney treat. The kids meals are inexpensive and usually enough for me. Sometimes I just do a cookie and milk or ice cream sandwich for a snack - combined with my pack lunch is all I need.

There is a new noodle salad at AK I have been eying in the kiosk that had previously sold only egg rolls. They re-did the menu here and now have a noodle salad -looks like lomain noodles for $6-7, summer roll and edamame - I think for under $5.

rznhal 10-20-2012 03:05 PM

Hello!
I just signed up for the earl of sandwich e club.....the welcome email said I would get a coupon on my birthday for a free sandwich (good for 30 days)! So if you are going near your bday you could do that;)

Interesting thread! Thanks for all the good ideas!!

lovemy3girls 10-20-2012 03:15 PM

We are a local family of 7 and we are always looking for good deals. I recently wrote a blog post about it. http://thefloridafamily.com/2012/08/...eap-at-disney/

rnorwo1 10-20-2012 03:51 PM

I have a small appetite also so love the idea of kids meals... but I do not like burgers, hotdogs, and chicken nuggets. Any places have more decent kids meals?

sharonabe 10-20-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnorwo1 (Post 46500009)
I have a small appetite also so love the idea of kids meals... but I do not like burgers, hotdogs, and chicken nuggets. Any places have more decent kids meals?

If you'll go over to the Dining Plan sub-forum up above, you'll find a sticky that lists all the Kids' CS meals. Be warned, there's not a lot of variety.

OP: just a quick note to let you know all kids' meals are now $6 or more, so even that is over your $5 limit.