The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Where To Stay On A Solo Trip (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3008579)

Reb23 10-16-2012 10:18 AM

Where To Stay On A Solo Trip

So I am thinking of going to Disney for my birthday in September 2013. None of my friends or family want to commit to it yet so right now it is a solo trip.
I was wondering what resorts other solos have stayed at or would want to stay at.
I have stayed at All-Star Movies and Port Orleans French Quarter before and want to try something different.

MADnNOLA 10-16-2012 11:21 AM

I love my solo trips, you will have so much fun! I just got back (Sunday night) from my last one. I stayed at ASMusic and loved it.

What kind of amenities or services do you use and/or like? Do you enjoy spa services? Being close to one or more parks? What fits in your budget? These would be a big factor in choosing a place to stay.

I rarely spend time at my resort, so I go to the value resorts just for the savings. I have stayed at the AS resorts and Pop. I love them all! They are well themed, and as a single traveler, they will put you in a quiet room, away from the elevator, usually the 3rd floor, etc. (at least they always have for me).

Have fun!!! pixiedust:

Pumbaa7287 10-16-2012 11:33 AM

Agree with the above poster. I'd look in to a small room at a value resort so that you can maximize the funds you have to spend on food and beverages! Art of Animation is a brand new value resort and looks gorgeous, so I'd recommend that one first.

If you do want somewhere nicer, AKL and WL are beautiful and have a lot of activities you can do solo at the hotel, as well as bonfires at night where you can meet new people!

ZehnJahren 10-16-2012 11:43 AM

I suggest renting points and staying at AKL. Yeah, it's off the beaten path - but it's so lovely! Otherwise, I suggest renting points and staying at BLT, or BCV, or BWV. So pretty much I suggest renting points and staying deluxe when you're single. LOL!

That being said, when I've been single I've stayed at Pop, CR, AKL, and OKW.

Simba's Mom 10-16-2012 12:49 PM

I've also stayed at ASMusic, and I hated it there. And I so wanted to like it, figured it would be perfect as DS is a professional jazz musician and I got the jazz section. But when I was there, there were so many foul-mouthed college-aged kids (and I teach high school so I'm used to that), it really bothered me. I just loved staying at POR, but on that stay POR was closed. I agree with whoever recommended AKL. I've stayed there solo many times and will again in a few weeks. My favorite solo resort!

goofy_joe 10-16-2012 06:12 PM

If you want to maximize your interaction with others around the resort, try an Epcot resort. Jellyrolls is a great time, and any of the hotel bars are great for unwinding at the end of the day.

anonymousegirl 10-16-2012 07:47 PM

As a solo woman going to Disney alone, I always request second floor near the elevator (I feel it is a safer location--I can get quickly to my room if need be). I have never heard the elevator.

I have stayed solo at Pop, SSR, and AKL Kidani. I actually prefer the values since I feel safer with the outdoor corridors and there is always someone out and about, even late.

I like Pop because it doesn't share buses.

mickey1968 10-16-2012 09:53 PM

I always travel solo for the same reasons! I stayed Pop last May and I will do my online checkin tomorrow for another stay at Pop. I was worried It would be too noisy and chaotic but I really enjoyed it last time. I was in a lake view 70s room on the 3rd or 4th floor second from the end. It was very quiet but felt like 100 miles after a long day in the parks. it is fun to pick the decade that you most identify with at Pop.

tekoa 10-18-2012 08:15 PM

I have enjoyed 4 solo trips. Two at POFQ. I like the boat trip to downtown.This is one of my favorites for the small size and quiet atmosphere. AKL once. In a room that was about as far down the corridor that you could get. It was a long hike to the room after walking in the parks all day. I like the AKL just not where my room was. In May I rented points at OKW. I requested and got a room near the lobby, pool area. I enjoyed the boat to downtown from here also. Renting points I saved about $1,500 over what Disney would have charged. This is a great resort, I would recommend renting points to anyone. I used the company that advertises on The Dis. Great to work with everything went seamlessly.

Steakgoddess 10-20-2012 11:16 AM

On a previous Solo trip, I stay at POR and loved it. Very relaxing and just beautiful. I would love to do a GF solo, but I think the DH would have a fit. (That is his favorite hotel on property)

This trip, I'm going to ASMu. Never been there before, so I am a little nervous.

DROCKS 10-30-2012 08:52 AM

All Star Music

I will be going on my first solo trip this December and chose a value resort. I'm thinking of doing online check-in for the first time, but afraid what if they stick me all the way in the back of the resort? That's my only concern of this solo trip is my walk back to room late at night. I did have the Jazz section listed as a request on my reservation.

mickey1968 10-30-2012 01:15 PM

Go ahead and do online checkin you can ask that they change the room if you see that you don't like the location. However I wouldn't worry too much about walking at night, everything is well lit and other people are around even when you close down a park!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

DisneyDork1969 11-07-2012 03:54 PM

My 1st solo trip will be right after Thanksgiving...I'm staying at POP for a whole week...I got free QSD, so I upgraded to a preferred room to be closer to the main hall/shuttle buses...I have stayed at POP three times and I LOVE IT...designated buses, fun & checky resort design, basic room for my needs...I only need a room for the 3 S's (Store, Shower, Sleep)...right now I'm happy staying at a value resort, maybe next year I will start staying at a moderate resort...the good thing about going after Thanksgiving is that crowds are low and therefore the parks don't stay open late...which means you won't be getting back to your resort late...only 1 night I'm staying at MK until Midnight and that's when I go to MVMCP...the latest closing for any park is 9:30pm for Epcot...plus there is always people walking around, hanging by the pool, shopping in the store, eating at the food court...I've stayed at 80's sections and it was really quiet...but it was a decent walk...hopefully a preferred room won't be close to all the noise/action...but I'm a good/heavy sleeper...

DVC Kelly 11-09-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goofy_joe (Post 46465412)
If you want to maximize your interaction with others around the resort, try an Epcot resort. Jellyrolls is a great time, and any of the hotel bars are great for unwinding at the end of the day.

I think that's a great idea! :thumbsup2

WalkingintheFog 11-11-2012 04:12 PM

OP, have you given this anymore thought?

You basically have to ask yourself for that vacation:

What do you want from your vacation:
- Do you plan on just using the room for Sleep & Shower?
- Are you planning on more time at DTD, or more at EPCOT, or more at MK?
- Are you there for the balcony, the rest, the relaxation?
- Are you there to pamper yourself?
- Are you hoping for all/any of the above, but also to be in control of your diet?
And, how much are you willing to pay for it?

There's lots of options!

Going in September, there's often free dining or room discounts available!

I've gone solo to POR & YC
And this trip also POP & BWV & The Fort (brought my camping gear/tent with me).

So, all 3 levels plus the campground, and also rented points thru Davids Vacation Club Rentals (:wave2: Hi Kelly!! :wave2:).

I was happy more or less everywhere! And would stay at all these locations again. But, I figure, unless there's 3 or more in my party, free dining is just too confining.

I went thru David's this fall & I'll definitely go that route again! It was an excellent experience -- I would not have been able to justify staying at BW without it! In fact I figure it cost me as much as POR would have!
--You've got to be able to commit to a specific set of dates way in advance & paying 100% at that time (nonrefundable/nonchangeable), but sometimes that's just what you need to do!