The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bay Lake Towers or Animal Kingdom Lodge? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004729)

Janed 10-08-2012 05:37 PM

Bay Lake Towers or Animal Kingdom Lodge?

I am finally down to 2 options - both would be a 2 bedroom villa. The choices we have are BLT or AKL. We've stayed at AKL and loved it, but I am always up for something new and would really like to try a resort on the monorail.

Since our last visit I have developed moderate arthritis in my hip. The pain is usually tolerable, but I do have trouble walking long distances. Can anyone give me a sense of the distance from BLT to the Counter Service at the Contemporary? Those in the group I am going with aren't into table service so we would probably end up eating on the run most days.

Thanks!;)

pixie08 10-08-2012 08:00 PM

Wow both are great and have plus and minuses. It depends what you are looking for.

Pros:

BLT- Location, Location, Location. Great rooms.

AKV- Amazing grounds, great pool, wonderful theming, animals.

Cons:
BLT- Pool and grounds not so great. With that Location, you are in the thick of it. Not as relaxing imo.

AKV- very far from theme parks. No walking or monorail hopping.

Magic3forme 10-08-2012 08:26 PM

If you can get a room right by the one set of elevators, the walk would not be that bad. the one set of elevators is right by the bridge that takes you into the Contemp.

( we normally have the furthest room from the Contemp and it is only a 5 min walk. -- if that.)

Bay Lake is our favorite resort. I love the location!! (and shopping, and the food court)

kam1011 10-08-2012 09:05 PM

I definitely prefer BLT! It is one of my absolute favorites. AKL doesn't have a ranking anywhere on that list (although it is pretty, I'll give it that!)

The little bridge to the contemporary is very short, just a little hallway. It would depend on how close you could be to that side of the building. It's not a long walk at all. However, I wouldn't recommend the walking path to the MK. This could be a problem late at night when the monorail stops running.

robinbutterfly 10-09-2012 07:00 AM

We have stayed at both. AKL itself is our FAVORITE.... BUT at Disney LOCATION is super important to us too! Can you do a split stay? Otherwise I would chose BLT for the location!

butsy113 10-09-2012 09:30 AM

Along with everything said by PP, Mara is one of the top rated CS restaurants in WDW. There is a wide range of foods for all palettes. I guess I'm biased though AKL is our fav :thumbsup2

pixie08 10-10-2012 03:43 PM

If you do choose AKV, stay at Jambo then with the arthritis and request a room closer to the lobby (and tell them for medical reasons to ensure your request). This will cut down on all walking. It's close to lounge, pool, shop,busses/parking, Mara (which is a great CS) Jiko and Boma.

MyOtherSS 10-10-2012 06:17 PM

If you plan to spend time at the resort and enjoy what it has to offer, I say AKL. If you plan to be on the go more I say CR. I stayed at an AK Jambo house villa my last stay and it was nice in all but after staying at Poly for so many years I'm not sure I'll ever stay at a resort without monorail access.

Janed 10-11-2012 06:07 PM

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions! I am leaning towards the BLT because we spend so little time at the resort - usually only long enough to sleep, maybe do a little laundry, and eat breakfast. I have always wanted to stay at a monorail resort and this year may be the one!

amypetecar 10-15-2012 09:42 PM

I'm a huge fan of BLT. there's nothing quite like being on the monorail. For walking distance, any room from blt to the contempo cafe strikes me as shorted than any room at Kidani to Mara