The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Budget Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Store Brands - Which ones do you like and trust? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004070)

EllenFrasier 10-07-2012 03:39 PM

Store Brands - Which ones do you like and trust?

My husband does most of the grocery shopping in our house. Once in a while he brings home the store brand of a product and I don't like it. Not sure if it's because I know it's not the name brand or if I don't really like it. ;)

Do you have any store brands that you like as much as the name brand?

Zooshoveller 10-07-2012 03:42 PM

I love the Publix brand! Except their "Poptarts" and salsa. :crazy2:

tnd 10-07-2012 03:50 PM

I will buy any Kirkland Signature (Costco) item except their environmentally friendly dish soap because I hate the smell. But I have liked every other Kirkland Signature item I ever bought. I also buy almost everything from the Meijer store brand if I don't buy it at Costco. My default is always the store brand unless the name brand is cheaper on sale. It is easier for me to list the few non-store brand items I buy. They are:

-King Arthur flour
-Heinz ketchup
-Diet Coke
-Bullseye BBQ sauce (no high fructose corn syrup)

naomi78155 10-07-2012 03:58 PM

I love everything Kirkland (Costco), but I have not tried their brand of soda. I gotta have my Coke and Dr. Pepper!

EllenFrasier 10-07-2012 06:24 PM

Well he was talking about Crisco shortening - whether the store brand would be just as good as the name brand. I was planning on making an apple pie and a pumpkin pie so I didn't want to mess with the ingredients right now. Anybody use a different brand of vegetable shortening?

mowatm 10-07-2012 06:34 PM

Nope...I buy Crisco every time. It isn't worth your recipe turning out poorly!:stir:

mhsjax 10-07-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zooshoveller (Post 46375365)
I love the Publix brand! Except their "Poptarts" and salsa. :crazy2:

Glad you said that about the Pop tarts, I have been tempted several times, even though I rarely purchase pop tarts.

I do love most Publix brands, however I must add their tomato sauce to the list. I can't stand it, thin and watery.

scard192 10-07-2012 06:57 PM

Surprisingly, seems like every time Consumer Reports reviews food/cleaning products, etc Great Value (Walmart) is usually in the top 5.

cah5525 10-07-2012 07:01 PM

Great value butter quarters at Walmart are made by Cabot! Generic brands are made on the same line as the name brands... The machine never stops producing, they only change the case packaging boxes!

North of Mouse 10-07-2012 07:10 PM

I rarely buy store brand products of anything, because in our area with double and triple coupons, plus sales, the brand names are always cheaper.

I do buy a lot of my produce at Aldi's because it is usually very fresh, and so much cheaper than the other grocery stores - exceptions are good sales.

I have tried different store brand items before and have always been sorry, so I stick with the tried and true. :goodvibes

Zooshoveller 10-07-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cah5525 (Post 46377186)
Great value butter quarters at Walmart are made by Cabot! Generic brands are made on the same line as the name brands... The machine never stops producing, they only change the case packaging boxes!

We used Walmart's baby formula - made at the same as factory as Enfamil!

EllenFrasier 10-08-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cah5525 (Post 46377186)

Thanks for the heads up on the butter! With holiday baking around the corner that's good to know. :)

MomToOne 10-08-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zooshoveller (Post 46377302)
We used Walmart's baby formula - made at the same as factory as Enfamil!

Just because something is made at the same factory doesn't mean the same recipe or ingredients are used. Not that Walmart baby formula is bad, just that making something on the same line does NOT mean it is the same as the name brand. It could be better, it could be worse.

That said, I like Kroger's Raisin Bran. It's better than Kellogg's - it has more raisins!

Gaston77 10-08-2012 10:13 PM

If you live in maryland or virginia or pa personally you cant go wrong with Wegmans brand products!!!Great quality for the price

sissy_ib 10-08-2012 10:18 PM

Here in Texas, HEB will sometimes have a sale where if you buy the name brand item you can get the HEB version free. I did that with bread once and they tasted the exact same. Pretty much except for Coke products I buy whatever is cheapest.