The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   UK Trip Planning Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Telling the kids (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3003452)

joolz1910 10-06-2012 03:52 AM

Telling the kids

We are off to WDW on 29th Oct and my youngest two (8 and 5) still don't know.:) We are staying at the Premier Inn the night before the flight and I have now decided to tell them when they wake up at the Premier Inn.

Now, I just need to think how to break the news!
Any ideas?

madmumof2 10-06-2012 04:11 AM

I've made a DVD!

I'm so excited now, we'll be telling them in 4 days!!!

They'll get up thinking they're going to school as usual, then there'll be a phone call from the 'school' telling us about an electrical fault so I'll suggest they get their uniforms off and watch a DVD...

Then they'll watch this! (mainly made to look like adverts but they just happen to be of things we're doing, it kicks in at 11:00 so watch from there!!)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xtp...y-world_travel

Then at the end we'll be standing behind them with a big banner saying 'We're going to Disney World!'

A Small World 10-06-2012 05:05 AM

Why are you going to tell them they are at the Premier Inn Jules? Will they think they are going somewhere else?

If you want to tell them in the Hotel room why not arrange a treasure hunt round the room with words or letters on cards saying "you are going to Disneyworld" or even just "Disneyworld.' Let them find them and then arrange them in the correct order. You can get your eldest to help them find them , put them in the right order without telling them.
or if you dont want to do it as a treasure hunt just do it as a card game
The cards will be easy to make and can be easy hidden in a bag.

Or you can just ask them where they want to go the next day and get therir suggestions and then yourself say "I fancy going to Disneyworld so lets got there" and watch their reaction.

joolz1910 10-06-2012 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Small World (Post 46364015)
Why are you going to tell them they are at the Premier Inn Jules? Will they think they are going somewhere else?

If you want to tell them in the Hotel room why not arrange a treasure hunt round the room with words or letters on cards saying "you are going to Disneyworld" or even just "Disneyworld.' Let them find them and then arrange them in the correct order. You can get your eldest to help them find them , put them in the right order without telling them.
or if you dont want to do it as a treasure hunt just do it as a card game
The cards will be easy to make and can be easy hidden in a bag.

Or you can just ask them where they want to go the next day and get therir suggestions and then yourself say "I fancy going to Disneyworld so lets got there" and watch their reaction.

We are going to tell them that we are going to Legoland in Manchester, so that should explain away the cases/hotel. I tried the 'where would you like to go on holiday?' line last week and they both replied 'WALES!' :rotfl:

I quite like the idea of rearranging the letters but DD (5) would be excluded as she can't yet read.

I thought about saying that I had found a video of where we are going on my phone, then showing them a WDW advert. Then just let it sink in!

A Small World 10-06-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joolz1910 (Post 46364102)
We are going to tell them that we are going to Legoland in Manchester, so that should explain away the cases/hotel. I tried the 'where would you like to go on holiday?' line last week and they both replied 'WALES!' :rotfl:

I quite like the idea of rearranging the letters but DD (5) would be excluded as she can't yet read.

I thought about saying that I had found a video of where we are going on my phone, then showing them a WDW advert. Then just let it sink in!

instead of letters could you do something with picture cards instead or let your youngest be in charge of collecting the cards.
How about pictures where they have to find the first letter - Dog=D, Icecream=I etc. You could have some really simple ones that your youngest would know.

I'll have a think about other ideas.

You could ask the hotel to put something in the room for you or a message on the TV screen but Id be worried incase they forgot or something. Id prefer to actually do the surprise myself

amacspad 10-06-2012 08:39 AM

When my dd was young we surprised her with a Birthday Halloween trip to Disneyland Paris, I made a letter on the computer which had a Disney border and lots of Disney Halloween icons, can't remember exact wording , think I did it like a certificate 'this is to certify that Rebecca' etc! I made it look like it was posted as well and put a stamp on the envelope and put it in the letterbox, it was great watching her expression as she read it! Sorry, just remembered your little one is too young too read, it just brought back memories lol!

Debs xxx

dixonsontour 10-06-2012 09:15 AM

The treasure hunt idea sounds nice or the dvd.

We have only suprised DD once - we did an invite from Mickey and 3 plane tickets with our favourite characters on.

We told DD we had to get up early as we were going to build a bear at trafford centre.

DD realising she is going to Disney TODAY!

She did still ask when are we going to build a bear - we went to the one in the florida mall instead. Are you doing legoland in Florida? My first thought when she asked was you're going to Disney but to a 6yr old who has been told they are going somewhere they are going.

PJB71 10-06-2012 05:24 PM

Can't wait to hear all about there fantastic surprise:thumbsup2:thumbsup2