The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Budget Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   San Francisco help with winery tours! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3003383)

ceecee 10-05-2012 09:44 PM

San Francisco help with winery tours!

We are going to San Francisco in a week for a convention and I have been put in charge of finding a winery tour! I have spent hours and am more confused than ever. It will be myself and 5 co-workers and we only have 2.5 days of fun time before our seminars start so we want to do a half day tour and we will need transportation. The boss really wants to do Napa Valley. Can anyone offer any suggestions???

jsmith 10-05-2012 10:59 PM

Okay i dont have any experience with Napa specifically but i do lots of touring of wineries all over the country because i travel alot for work and collect boutique wines-this is how i do it.

I usually have a rental car-you can rent one for the five of you for just one day. then just go a google for wine trails in the state i am traveling too-i.e california wine trails. The results usually have maps-i look at them and plan my route based on whats close to where i am, what experience tells me is the number of wineries i can visit in the time i have alloted and any other sites in the area i might be interested in.

Alternativelly-google California wine tours-i got a ton of hits on sites for companies offering tours-the first result had something that might exactly fit your bill but its a full day tour that starts with a ferry ride, includes transportation to five Napa wineries-at least one of which is a household name. I would do this in a heart beat but be warned its quiet expensive. ( 129 dollars per person plus tax tip and lunch). that company will also design iteneraries for you. Anyway there are many companies -you may have to make some phone calls but i found tons of info. Good luck and have fun-i would LOVE to do a tour in Napa and Sonoma :)

lost*in*cyberspace 10-06-2012 08:59 AM

It's going to be hard to do much touring in a half day, especially if you are driving to and from SF. Just the drive to and from Napa will take over 2 hours.

You can find plenty of information about wineries in Napa using Google. I suggest that you pick out 2-3 which look interesting and are fairly close together. Or pick out a tour operator (check out tripadvisor.com for recommendations) and work with them.

ceecee 10-06-2012 11:12 AM

Thanks for the info. I looked into renting a van and a tour would be cheaper since they do the transport, but haven't been able to find a half day tour. I didn't realize the wineries were that far away!

pixiewings71 10-06-2012 05:54 PM

Napa isn't 2 hours from SF unless you're going during rush hour. It's about 45-60 minutes. Napa is 20 minutes from me and I'm about 45 from SF, but to get to Napa I have to take a slightly different route so that's why the time difference, it isn't a straight shot. :) Look into NVT, they are a limo company that does tours, also as a PP suggested do a search for Napa Valley Wine Tours and you'll get a bunch of hits. If you decide to go the rental car and driving yourself route feel free to PM, I go to Napa pretty often (I am a wine club member so we go to Napa to pick up shipments) so I may be able to help. :)

MomToOne 10-06-2012 06:14 PM

I suggest looking into renting a limo. The limo company can usually suggest an itinerary that will fit your needs - the limo companies in the area do these types of tours all the time.

lost*in*cyberspace 10-07-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixiewings71 (Post 46368353)
Napa isn't 2 hours from SF unless you're going during rush hour. It's about 45-60 minutes.

You misread my post. I said the drive to Napa from SF was 2 hours there and back, not each way. That equals a 2 hour round trip.

DVC Daisy 10-07-2012 10:45 PM

Check on GROUPON for the San Francisco Bay Area. They have things like 6 hour limo wine tours on there all of the time for great prices! Then you would just need to figure out your transportation to/from Napa.

Most likely whatever company you use could probably help you out with that as well. As an added plus, no designated driver :dance3::dance3:

DVC Daisy 10-07-2012 10:52 PM

Oops! I see GROUPON actually has Napa/Sonoma as one of their cities. I see deals on the SF city listings often, but I would check out those as well.

jmac323 10-08-2012 11:27 AM

I grew up in Napa and my husband and I just returned from a long weekend there. We used Beau wine tours for their daily tour and it was an awesome experience! It was only $129 each and included a gourmet picnic lunch, an awesome driver who knew the region very well and 5 winery stops. They also have a Sonoma option and private wine tour option. I thought I remembered seeing something on their websire about Sf pick up too. Might be worth checking it out?

DVC Daisy 10-08-2012 01:01 PM

*i have not done a wine tour, so you may want to take the PP's advice - much more knowledgable most likely.

However, today on Living Social Contra Costa/Tri-Valley they have a 6 hour wine tasting limo for up to 9 including lunch & champaign with pick up anywhere in the Bay Area for $389.

It is by Rixos Limo if you want to google it.

(I have never used them & take no responsibility LOL - just wanted to pass on the deal for you)

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

DVC Daisy 10-08-2012 01:08 PM

Another on on Living Social today:SF Limo Zone. $375. Does not have lunch & champaign, but might be worth a google search.

ceecee 10-08-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVC Daisy (Post 46383625)
*i have not done a wine tour, so you may want to take the PP's advice - much more knowledgable most likely.

However, today on Living Social Contra Costa/Tri-Valley they have a 6 hour wine tasting limo for up to 9 including lunch & champaign with pick up anywhere in the Bay Area for $389.

It is by Rixos Limo if you want to google it.

(I have never used them & take no responsibility LOL - just wanted to pass on the deal for you)

That sounds great! I can't seem to find the Living Social outside of my city, what am I doing wrong? The tripadvisor reviews aren't good, but still may be worth a try?

jls886 10-08-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmac323 (Post 46382623)
I grew up in Napa and my husband and I just returned from a long weekend there. We used Beau wine tours for their daily tour and it was an awesome experience! It was only $129 each and included a gourmet picnic lunch, an awesome driver who knew the region very well and 5 winery stops. They also have a Sonoma option and private wine tour option. I thought I remembered seeing something on their websire about Sf pick up too. Might be worth checking it out?

Another vote for Beau wine tours! We used them a couple of years ago and had a great time!

DVC Daisy 10-08-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceecee (Post 46383883)
That sounds great! I can't seem to find the Living Social outside of my city, what am I doing wrong?

Non- tech answer - dunno? :confused3 Sorry. Maybe try adding cities, I think you can go to "more cities" and just add cities :thumbsup2

You can however google any deal that you do know about, like google "Rixos Limo Living Social" and you can find that specific deal that way.

I call companies all of the time on deals like Living Social & GROUPON before I buy & ask a ton of questions. So you can always call first & make sure they will meet your needs.