The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Sleeveless Dresses All Year (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3003282)

NEVERENOUGHWDW 10-05-2012 05:14 PM

Sleeveless Dresses All Year

DO you wear sleeveless dresses all year?
I will for a black tie or another special occasion but beyond that just for warm weather.

I ask because all the female news anchors wear sleeveless in our area all year and it looks weird to me.

sissy_ib 10-05-2012 05:27 PM

I live in south Texas so for most of the year we can get away with it.

SpecialK 10-05-2012 05:47 PM

It looks weird to me too, especially when there's snow on the ground.

Jeafl 10-05-2012 06:07 PM

I am always cold, so no. I don't know what designers have against sleeves anyway. Not everybody loves their arms and wants to show them off. I guess that's why there are so many bolero jackets and sweaters in the dress departments.

Slightly off topic...my friend's daughter is getting married in 2 weeks, and she was telling me that it was next to impossible to find a bridal gown that wasn't strapless, even for winter weddings. The only one she was shown was a poorly made copy of Kate Middleton's dress. I guess you are out of luck if you hate your arms. They did have a couple of halters and some sleeveless, but pretty much nothing that covered the arms.

Deb in IA 10-05-2012 06:09 PM

I can see it if you lived in Arizona or Florida, but here, I have summer dresses and winter dresses.

Janepod 10-05-2012 06:19 PM

No, I usually wear three to five layers at a time. I'm always cold.

powellrj 10-05-2012 07:28 PM

I am always hot so I always start with sleeveless and add and subtract the jacket.

I assume the news reporters are under hot lights is why they go sleeveless.

Princess Dolly 10-05-2012 07:40 PM

I wear them all year long but I live in Florida. I usually keep cardigans around in case the office gets cool.

DebbieB 10-05-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeafl (Post 46360893)
I am always cold, so no. I don't know what designers have against sleeves anyway. Not everybody loves their arms and wants to show them off. I guess that's why there are so many bolero jackets and sweaters in the dress departments.

Slightly off topic...my friend's daughter is getting married in 2 weeks, and she was telling me that it was next to impossible to find a bridal gown that wasn't strapless, even for winter weddings. The only one she was shown was a poorly made copy of Kate Middleton's dress. I guess you are out of luck if you hate your arms. They did have a couple of halters and some sleeveless, but pretty much nothing that covered the arms.

I've seen brides who bought a strapless but added a bolero jacket. This is required in some churches/synogogues.

Swan4Me 10-05-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeafl (Post 46360893)

When i was looking for MOG dresses-I looked at a high end Bridal website that featured modest wedding dresses-labeled like that. I think the jewish religion has to have covered arms -most features a lace top that came off so you could be strapless at reception

Kitzka 10-05-2012 08:23 PM

I am warm all the time. So I love sleeveless. I live in the northeast and even wear short sleeves in the winter when it's wicked cold.

sissy_ib 10-05-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DebbieB (Post 46361560)
I've seen brides who bought a strapless but added a bolero jacket. This is required in some churches/synogogues.

This is what I did. My dress was a champagne color and it was VERY hard to find something that matched. I found it the day before we left for the wedding/honeymoon and liked it at the time, probably because I was desperate, but I am not thrilled with a lot of the photos. I didn't wear it for the ceremony, only some photos after. I wish I had been able to find something in lace.

thewishfire 10-05-2012 09:00 PM

Yes. I do live in Arizona, but it still gets chilly during the winter for a bit... I just wear something with it if I feel I need to.

Princess on the Run 10-05-2012 09:04 PM

I wear them as long as I can still get away with it. I am always hot so it's hardly ever a temperature decision -- usually a "do I feel stupid wearing a sleeveless dress when there is snow on the ground" decision. But I also don't break out my winter coat until it's below zero, so I know I am not the norm.

low-key 10-05-2012 09:37 PM

the First Lady does. but I think everyone should wear what they like, its personality