The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Budget Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   How much would you tip? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3003207)

dex08 10-05-2012 01:34 PM

How much would you tip?
 
We are having a new washer and a new dryer delivered tomorrow. They will be installed in our basement (it's half a flight of stairs to go down right at our back door) and they will be hauling away our old set. We have already disconnected and moved our old set to a more convenient spot for the delivery guys.

How much would you tip them?

okeydokey 10-05-2012 01:43 PM

We just recently had a dishwasher delivered and installed and we tipped $10

Tooth Fairy 10-05-2012 01:44 PM

We just had a new washer delivered from home Depot....we didn't tip them. Never have tipped delivery teams.

BBandDisney 10-05-2012 01:55 PM

:stir:

scrapquitler 10-05-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dex08 (Post 46359056)
We are having a new washer and a new dryer delivered tomorrow. They will be installed in our basement (it's half a flight of stairs to go down right at our back door) and they will be hauling away our old set. We have already disconnected and moved our old set to a more convenient spot for the delivery guys.

How much would you tip them?

$10 for each of the guys. And I always offer a bottled water or coffee in a to-go cup.

cornflake 10-05-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapquitler (Post 46359566)
$10 for each of the guys. And I always offer a bottled water or coffee in a to-go cup.

This, unless it becomes seriously a pain in the rear or requires more extensive stuff than you thougjt. Like if they have to remove a door or what have you to get it in. That's when I start to add up. But generally $10 a person for a general 2-person team plus some waters or whatever for a regular big delivery.

cyndik1111 10-05-2012 02:46 PM

Wow, I thought we were generous giving $5 per guy. Hmmm, should I be giving more? they always act really surprise. And my neighbors all say they don't tip. I'm gonna have to have a talk with my husband about giving the delivery people a raise:rotfl2:

ilovemk76 10-05-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dex08 (Post 46359056)
We are having a new washer and a new dryer delivered tomorrow. They will be installed in our basement (it's half a flight of stairs to go down right at our back door) and they will be hauling away our old set. We have already disconnected and moved our old set to a more convenient spot for the delivery guys.

How much would you tip them?

When we had our delivered we tip them $20 each. There were two men. We told them to have lunch on us.

Daisy'sMama 10-05-2012 03:12 PM

Tipping was originally for waiters/servers that make less than minimum wage. Now everyone expects to be tipped. Where does it end? Those drivers make well over minimum, tips are not factored into their income, and they probably don't report them as income. I don't think you need to tip them at all. A nice thank you is sufficient.

PrincessSuzanne 10-05-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tooth Fairy (Post 46359153)
We just had a new washer delivered from home Depot....we didn't tip them. Never have tipped delivery teams.

Wow, I'm with you, I have never tipped someone delivering something like that for me. Home Delivery is not a tipped position.

ICF 10-05-2012 03:18 PM

I wouldn't tip them

CluelessDisFan 10-05-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daisy'sMama (Post 46360006)
Tipping was originally for waiters/servers that make less than minimum wage. Now everyone expects to be tipped. Where does it end? Those drivers make well over minimum, tips are not factored into their income, and they probably don't report them as income. I don't think you need to tip them at all. A nice thank you is sufficient.

Agreed. Giving a them a water or coffee is a nice thought. They probably appreciate.

marshallsmommy 10-05-2012 03:57 PM

Double post whoops!

marshallsmommy 10-05-2012 04:00 PM

My huband has delivered furniture, appliances, and just about anything u can deliver from a truck to a persons home. While he never expected a tip it was always very much appreciated. He now supervises a group of delivery drivers and helpers so aside from a few service calls hasn't been on a truck in a few years but he said it was getting more and more common that they would get tipped for bigger orders and inside placements. Most of these guys are contractors not company workers so they don't actually get an hourly wage. The biggest tip he ever received was $50!

mjkacmom 10-05-2012 05:01 PM

I'd tip $10 a piece. I usually keep $5 bills on hand, so I can tip depending upon how long it takes. I don't know anyone who doesn't tip in these instances - it gets delivered, you tip.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.