The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney World Tips (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Pin trading, where is the good stuff? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3003145)

xipotec 10-05-2012 11:35 AM

We have been pin trading for a while, but sometimes finding a real unique pin is hard to do.

We found Main St shops to be the worst place to trade, while the areas in the back of MK to be gold! My secret spot is the HM gift shop, don't tell!

Where do you go for your Pin trading?

redheadedmermaid73 10-05-2012 03:57 PM

I've had some good luck at AK. Really though we just keep our eyes open. I think the areas of the parks that are less traveled will be better simply because less people go to them.

erbrhenderson 10-05-2012 07:15 PM

How does this work?
 
This is only our second trip, first on property and spending a whole week. How does pin trading work? Will my 7 and 9 year old be interested?

xipotec 10-07-2012 09:40 PM

Ours love pin trading.

Start by buying a lanyard and some pins on eBay. Just be sure to buy official disney pins, they have a Mickey mark on the back. Also its a good idea to get the rubber backing.
Make sure you buy pins you wont mind giving away!!!! Buy a bunch , they are much more expensive in the parks!
Then just approach any cast member who has a pin collection on them, sometimes its a lanyard, sometimes they wear them on a pouch. Then just ask them to trade.
Its one for one trading, you pick the ones you want to trade.
Our kids LOVE it!!!!!

RedHeadedFairy 10-08-2012 09:00 AM

This trip will be our first experience with pin trading & DD is SO excited! I got her a starter set off Ebay & already found that the mickey backs don't always hold so well. Thankfully another poster here shared that you can buy pin backs at Michaels that fit great & lock them nicely.

So - what you're saying makes sense! The CM in the lesser trafficked areas might not have traded as heavily as those in the more popular areas & may have some more variety/unique pins? I love this board! :thumbsup2

khakismum 10-08-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erbrhenderson (Post 46361746)
This is only our second trip, first on property and spending a whole week. How does pin trading work? Will my 7 and 9 year old be interested?

Yes, your DC will be interested!

You don't just trade with cast members, you trade with other pinheads too. The etiquette is to politely approach a person (guest or CM) with pins ask if they are willing to trade. If they don't tell you, ask which pins they are willing to trade. Then make an offer of pin for pin. You take your pin off of your lanyard and hold it out in your hand then the person you are trading with will place their pin in your hand and take your pin. Typically you keep your own pin back. Some private traders will wheel and deal with you but you can always refuse a trade, just politely say, "No thanks, thank you anyway." and move on. Oh, and if you see a CM with a green lanyard they only trade with kids 12 and under.

DH and I buy pin lots of 100 off eBay to use as traders (you should look for a price of about $1 or less per pin). We then load up our lanyards every day and trade. It's always fun when a kid comes up to ask if we would trade. Sometimes if I see a kid with a theme going and I have something that fits, I'll offer to trade with them. I have seen some of the biggest smiles and widest eyes when I have done that. It's a little gratuitous pixie dust for myself to see those happy faces.

Speaking of themes, that is the easiest way to not get overwhelmed and give you focus is to pick a theme. My DD is Tinkerbelle, DH likes ToyStory, me, I am the difficult one and look for character cats or corporate partner pins. But this helps us know quickly if we want to trade with someone. So, a little gentle guidance from mom and dad can help little ones zero in on what they want to trade for and not get overwhelmed at all the choices.

As far as where we look to trade, see above. We have gotten pretty good at scanning CM lanyards quickly to see if there is anything we want. Our tastes are so varied it is a total crap shoot to find what we want that we don't already have. :confused3 It does seem to help with CM lanyards to look a couple hours into a shift when they have had time to cycle their inventory and maybe have some interesting pins have been traded from guests. We just use it as an excuse to chat with people. It is a good conversation starter.

xipotec 10-08-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khakismum

Yes, you DC will be interested!

You don't just trade with cast members, you trade with other pinheads too. The etiquette is to politely approach a person (guest or CM) with pins ask if they are willing to trade. If they don't tell you, ask which pins they are willing to trade. Then make an offer of pin for pin. You take your pin off of your lanyard and hold it out in your hand then the person you are trading with will place their pin in your hand and take your pin. Typically you keep your own pin back. Some private traders will wheel and deal with you but you can always refuse a trade, just politely say, "No thanks, thank you anyway." and move on. Oh, and if you see a CM with a green lanyard they only trade with kids 12 and under.

DH and I buy pin lots of 100 off eBay to use as traders (you should look for a price of about $1 or less per pin). We then load up our lanyards every day and trade. It's always fun when a kid comes up to ask if we would trade. Sometimes if I see a kid with a theme going and I have something that fits, I'll offer to trade with them. I have seen some of the biggest smiles and widest eyes when I have done that. It's a little gratuitous pixie dust for myself to see those happy faces.

Speaking of themes, that is the easiest way to not get overwhelmed and give you focus is to pick a theme. My DD is Tinkerbelle, DH likes ToyStory, me, I am the difficult one and look for character cats or corporate partner pins. But this helps us know quickly if we want to trade with someone. So, I little gentle guidance from mom and dad can help little ones zero in on what they want to trade for and not get overwhelmed at all the choices.

As far as where we look to trade, see above. We have gotten pretty good at scanning CM lanyards quickly to see if there is anything we want. Our tastes are so varied it is a total crap shoot to find what we want that we don't already have. :confused3 It does seem to help with CM lanyards to look a couple hours into a shift when they have had time to cycle their inventory and maybe have some interesting pins have been traded from guests. We just use it as an excuse to chat with people. It is a good conversation starter.

Great post , the etiquette is important!!!!
I trade for Villains!!!! Or halloween themed, especially NBX and haunted mansion

VeronicaB 10-09-2012 01:44 PM

Is it bad that as a 32 year old I'm excited to have my starter set and I'm looking forward to starting the pin trading craze next year? LOL I'm a big kid. Maybe I can get my kids interested in it too.

xipotec 10-09-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeronicaB
Is it bad that as a 32 year old I'm excited to have my starter set and I'm looking forward to starting the pin trading craze next year? LOL I'm a big kid. Maybe I can get my kids interested in it too.

No way . Im 40 (gasp) and i think i like it more than my kids!!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.