The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Liquid on my laptop! Can it be saved? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3003027)

npmommie 10-05-2012 09:10 AM

Liquid on my laptop! Can it be saved?
 
Happened last night now it won't turn on. It was a small amt I dried it and it worked but I plugged in the charger and it wouldn't keep charging now it won't turn on!

Southernmiss 10-05-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npmommie (Post 46355814)
Happened last night now it won't turn on. It was a small amt I dried it and it worked but I plugged in the charger and it wouldn't keep charging now it won't turn on!


I spilled water on my laptop earlier this year. Immediately, within seconds turned it over, took out the battery and unplugged it.

I took it to the local repair shop that day who dried it out and returned it to me for about $40. Well worth the peace of mind that they would dry it and do it right. They said they sprayed some anticorrosive stuff in the inside :confused3 too.

jlewisinsyr 10-05-2012 10:59 AM

When you spilled stuff on it, you should have immediately pulled all power to the notebook.

Kathryn Merteuil 10-05-2012 03:26 PM

I spilled water indirectly on one, and it didn't actually hurt it at all. It dried out and I turned it back on and it was fine.

I spilled a glass of wine on another one, it broke the hard drive.

msmayor 10-05-2012 07:06 PM

When water is spilled on electronics, the key is getting the battery OUT and NOT connecting it to any type of charger until it is absolutely positively fully and completely dry.

It can take more than a day or two to fully dry out.

Trying to power it up before it is fully dry will short out the circuitry and ruin it.

Your best bet is to have it looked at by a professional to avoid any further damage, and find out if it is salvageable.

npmommie 10-05-2012 07:56 PM

Ok i took it apart and made sure it was dried out. Took the battery out, and it powered back on. We have decided to not use it for a few days and i may have it looked at too.
Thanks!

Albort 10-05-2012 09:56 PM

anyone tried the rice trick on a laptop? i cant imagine it in rice...

low-key 10-05-2012 10:22 PM

I spilled this Posion Ivy liquid (prescribed from Doctor) all over my lap top this past summer, a couple of keys never came back

bunkkinsmom 10-05-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albort (Post 46362501)
anyone tried the rice trick on a laptop? i cant imagine it in rice...

Yeah I did. My DD5 decided to put gum on my Macbook screen. Then she tried to clean it off by pouring a bottle of water on it. Then she knew she would be in trouble, so she closed the lid......

I buried it in rice for four days, works like a champ. My only flaw was not taking out the battery, so now it has to stay plugged in at all times. Other than that, good as new.....

Madison'smommy 10-05-2012 10:49 PM

Same exact thing happened to mine last year... I ruined it by trying to start it again. My hard drive is ok, but my battery port is ruined. I ended up buying a new one, but wonder if I couldnt fix mine. I actually have 2 of the same exact laptops.. one with a blown hard drive and 1 with a bad battery port but good hard drive

Coconut36 10-05-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npmommie (Post 46355814)
Happened last night now it won't turn on. It was a small amt I dried it and it worked but I plugged in the charger and it wouldn't keep charging now it won't turn on!

Unfortunately probably not because you turned it on too soon/didn't let it dry. Yes they are saveable when water gets on them but you MUST take out the battery and let it fully dry (putting it in dry rice really helps as it is a natural desiccant).

My best friend is a computer tech and he has pounded into my head if any electronics get wet you turn them off/remove batteries and let them dry 100% before turning them on. Generally they are fine if you let them dry. I know someone that just got water (quite a bit) on a brand new laptop. Turned it off, took out the battery and let it dry out in rice for 2 days..works 100% fine.

Coconut36 10-05-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albort (Post 46362501)
anyone tried the rice trick on a laptop? i cant imagine it in rice...

Yes and yes it works (obviously dry, uncooked rice ;) ). It's a natural desiccant and helps draw the water/moisture out.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.