The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   another WWYD (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3002987)

cepmom 10-05-2012 07:15 AM

another WWYD
 
Would you send your child away for the long weekend with a friend that was just treated for lice 2 days ago? (1st treatment, she still needs to do the 2nd treatment next week)?

java 10-05-2012 07:33 AM

Nope! I am pretty sure most will be gone after first treatment- but the reason for the second is that if there were eggs that survived round 1 you get them with round 2. It depends how quickly after the eggs hatched that they started treatment.

from the internet

"The nits hatch within 7 to 10 days. After hatching they take 8 to 9 days to become adults at which time the female louse starts laying more eggs and the cycle repeats itself"

cabanafrau 10-05-2012 07:36 AM

No.

kirbydog48 10-05-2012 07:37 AM

No way!

luvmy3 10-05-2012 07:37 AM

No way!!

java 10-05-2012 07:38 AM

Had to come back and add that now my head is itching!~

The Mystery Machine 10-05-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cepmom (Post 46355030)
Would you send your child away for the long weekend with a friend that was just treated for lice 2 days ago? (1st treatment, she still needs to do the 2nd treatment next week)?

Heck to the no. My dd has had lice twice and it is PURE TORTURE. Anyway you should be nit picking and not doing a second treatment.:confused3

Now you may need to do a second treatment but if you are not diligent with nit picking you will get a reinfestation.

For that matter, run, get yourself a lice comb and comb your dd's hair DAILY with it. I use the "LiceMeister" and it is fantastic.

Blah...Shudder....Ick....scratches head.... :scared:

FlightlessDuck 10-05-2012 07:59 AM

No. First, it's not fair to the other family.

Second, even though I know it's not right, there can be a stigma around lice. It can be embarrassing to the child and/or the family.

cepmom 10-05-2012 08:14 AM

Okay, just wanted confirmation that I'm not overreacting by keeping DD home now. It was supposed to be several girls going away for the girl's birthday.

When the mom told me, she kept trying to assure me that it would be okay to stick to the plans, they treated their DD, cleaned the house,( they're going to another house for the weekend)bought some kind of lice repelling shampoo (not the pesticide treatment stuff) that the girls could all use over the weekend etc, etc. but would leave the decision up to us.

It just didn't sit well with me and I told her DD wasn't going because I just didn't want to take that chance and she seemed to get mad at me :confused: I don't know what the other parents have decided.

goofyintoronto 10-05-2012 08:18 AM

Are you kidding? NO WAY!

MissyDVC 10-05-2012 08:21 AM

No way, no how!

mom2travel 10-05-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cepmom
Okay, just wanted confirmation that I'm not overreacting by keeping DD home now. It was supposed to be several girls going away for the girl's birthday.

When the mom told me, she kept trying to assure me that it would be okay to stick to the plans, they treated their DD, cleaned the house,( they're going to another house for the weekend)bought some kind of lice repelling shampoo (not the pesticide treatment stuff) that the girls could all use over the weekend etc, etc. but would leave the decision up to us.

It just didn't sit well with me and I told her DD wasn't going because I just didn't want to take that chance and she seemed to get mad at me :confused: I don't know what the other parents have decided.

You are definitely not overreacting! I do feel bad for the birthday girl, but maybe her parents should just reschedule

Yikes, I'm itchy just thinking about it!

jen1977 10-05-2012 08:26 AM

Nope!

cepmom 10-05-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2travel

You are definitely not overreacting! I do feel bad for the birthday girl, but maybe her parents should just reschedule

Yikes, I'm itchy just thinking about it!

I totally feel for the birthday girl! She is dds best friend and I really like her but I really don't want to risk dd coming home with unwanted guests! The mom asked me not to tell DD; she doesn't want word getting out and her dd to get teased etc which I totally understand.

I asked her if she would consider rescheduling and she said no. So I had to tell DD she couldn't go but not tell her why...personally I think she should have just sucked it up and rescheduled for another time but she didn't. The thing that gets me is the attitude I got when I told her Dd couldn't go :(

mjkacmom 10-05-2012 08:38 AM

This woman is crazy! We've dealt with it a few times, and the only time I felt the kids were really lice free was after spending about $500 at a lice center, where they were combed out for hours by several women.

Is she combing like crazy? Because the pp's are right - if she just treated, she might've gotten all of the live ones (but I doubt it - I've found live ones after treatment), but all of those nits are going to hatch eventually. Unfortunately, the treatment itself makes the nits stickier, and much harder to comb out.

I've learned (the hard way) not to do lice treatments - the amount of combing necessary to remove the nits will get all of those live ones anyway - they're the easy part. It's the nits (and they're not killed by the treatment). It's almost impossible to tell a live nit from a hatch one, so everything needs to be completely combed out.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.