The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Can you help us decide if we should sell? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3002975)

3kidz4dis 10-05-2012 05:32 AM

Can you help us decide if we should sell?
 
We purchased SS resale back in 2004 with enough points for us to go every other year. We have loved our membership but are in a positition with the kids sports schedules, high school, that it is just too difficult to talk them out of school anymore. We do not want to go to Disney in the summer or holidays because of the crowds and heat. We are thinking of selling but are still hopeful that we will be able to go to Aulani one time in the summer using the 300 points that will come due in December or go to Hilton Head. Both I would think is difficult to obtain in the summer. Is this possible or is the best thing for us to sell?

disneynutz 10-05-2012 06:03 AM

Only you can decide what's best for your family. Seems to me that if you really wanted to go to Disney you would find a way or be willing to put up with the crowds or weather.

Maybe you should sell and think about buying again later.

:earsboy: Bill

htmlkid 10-05-2012 06:24 AM

If you book Aulani at the 7 month mark you should have no problem. You should also consider renting the points during the years you can't use them. That will more then cover your MF's

ssawka 10-05-2012 07:52 AM

For Hilton Head, you should have much better luck if you book at exactly 7 month and plan to arrive on a Friday or Saturday. Because of the point difference between weekday and weekend nights, most members are trying to book Sunday through Thursday. Also, if you are flexible with dates, be persistent and call every week until you get a reservation.

DannysMom 10-05-2012 10:38 AM

I want to second the suggestion to rent out your points if you find you cannot use them in a given year. Read through the sticky at the top of the Rent/Trade board if you unfamiliar with how renting works.

Once the kids are in college, they may be interested in spring break trips, or you could start to go without them for F&W in the fall. GL whatever you decide to do.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos.

BEASLYBOO 10-05-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssawka (Post 46355666)
For Hilton Head, you should have much better luck if you book at exactly 7 month and plan to arrive on a Friday or reservation.

Good luck with that! I've tried for 3 consecutive years to book July (any part of July, very flexible) at Hilton Head at the 7 month mark, without success!

If you can use it when you want, and can't use it when it's easier to get, then you should probably sell!

Then you can book cash whenever you want, where ever you want!

DVC works for us pretty much for all the reasons it doesn't work for you! We go in Summer but with the water parks etc. we actually enjoy it!

ssawka 10-05-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEASLYBOO (Post 46357435)
Good luck with that! I've tried for 3 consecutive years to book July (any part of July, very flexible) at Hilton Head at the 7 month mark, without success!

If you can use it when you want, and can't use it when it's easier to get, then you should probably sell!

Then you can book cash whenever you want, where ever you want!

DVC works for us pretty much for all the reasons it doesn't work for you! We go in Summer but with the water parks etc. we actually enjoy it!

It worked for me this year. We got a studio the first week of August. It's the first year we tried. It took me about a month, but I eventually did get a reservation.

BEASLYBOO 10-05-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssawka (Post 46358324)
It worked for me this year. We got a studio the first week of August. It's the first year we tried. It took me about a month, but I eventually did get a reservation.


You've given me hope! I always thought I'd have better luck booking a 2 br but not so far! My next stab at it, July 2014!

amyngary 10-05-2012 12:58 PM

HHI options
 
I have never rented out my points, but I have been researching HHI. I originally started researching the DVC there, but since we are trying to save this year's points for a larger trip next year, I would be paying cash (unless we go later years, at which time I was worried about getting something at 7 months out). The cash price for a week there the first week of June is about $2800. Two friends go to HHI regularly and rent houses. One is a DVC member who toured the DVC property last summer. When comparing it to renting a house in Sea Pines, she highly recommended Sea Pines instead.

I am now finding 3 bedroom houses with private pools for $2500. So if I were you, I would at least consider renting out your points and paying cash for a house rental in Sea Pines. I love to research trips, so I will share with you my research findings based on our criteria:
1. pool on site: Sea Pines wins since it's a private pool
2. things for kids to do: DVC wins this one since they have all the activities. However, I'm told that Sea Pines has many kid-oriented activities too, just not every hour during the day.
3. bike riding: Sea Pines wins. I'm told that Sea Pines has amazing bike paths and that people don't drive anywhere (and some house rentals include bikes). You can ride bikes to the beach and to Harbour Town. While you can rent bikes at DVC, it is in a more commercial/industrial area, so you are limited as to where you can ride them.
4. Nice spacious lodging: Sea Pines wins. While DVC is big enough (though smaller than a house), a private house beats the reports I have read of the DVC lodging where you can hear the people above you walking.
5. Price: Probably doesn't apply to you, but since I would be paying cash, Sea Pines wins again.
6. Availability: Sea Pines wins. There are plenty of houses available right now, so I suspect that even if I wait until 7 months out, it will be easier to find something at Sea Pines.

While proximity to the ocean was not a factor for me (we prefer a pool to the ocean since we have a toddler), both require commuting to the ocean. At DVC, you can choose to walk, drive, or ride the shuttle. At Sea Pines, it depends on the house's location, but I would expect to drive, walk, or bike there. I also hear that the food at DVC isn't very good, but I hear that there are many great options in the Sea Pines area. The only downside to choosing Sea Pines is the kids' activities. I am a little sad about that since I know Disney would do a great job with activities; however, I think the other factors outweigh this one.

I hope this helps. I don't mean to confuse the issue since you were not asking about Sea Pines, but since I was originally sold on going DVC but worried a bit about getting in at 7 months, I thought I would share my research findings.

RumpleMom 10-05-2012 12:58 PM

I just wanted to put in a word for going to WDW once you are empty nesters.

WDW is a lot of fun for adults without kids.

Also the kids can join you as their new careers allow.

k3chantal 10-05-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3kidz4dis (Post 46354896)
We purchased SS resale back in 2004 with enough points for us to go every other year. We have loved our membership but are in a positition with the kids sports schedules, high school, that it is just too difficult to talk them out of school anymore. We do not want to go to Disney in the summer or holidays because of the crowds and heat. We are thinking of selling but are still hopeful that we will be able to go to Aulani one time in the summer using the 300 points that will come due in December or go to Hilton Head. Both I would think is difficult to obtain in the summer. Is this possible or is the best thing for us to sell?

If you love your membership, I wouldn't sell. I would either try to get a reservation at Aulani or HH or try to rent your points. You may also find using your points through RCI for a few years is a good way to use the points but not sell your membership. We had a wonderful trip in Kauai, Hawaii using RCI points. The life of your contract is long. This difficult point with your kids' schooling is actually a relatively short time in the life of your DVC contract. We are about to start to come to the same point with our children. My oldest son is in 7th grade. He and I have talked and there may be times when he stays behind with friends to attend school while we take a vacation. This was actually his idea. My second child is in fourth so I feel like I can still take him out of school and then we have a toddler. So we will be 'dealing' with this issue for a long time. And like you, we refuse to travel during the holidays or summer.

Dean 10-06-2012 05:47 AM

It sounds like you still would like to use your DVC membership but can't at a time that works otherwise. It also sounds like you wouldn't have to sell for financial issues. With those assumptions, esp since you only have enough for EOY, I'd consider keeping it and renting it out a couple of times if you can't get HH in summer or get a break otherwise. I get the impression that HH has been easier the last few years than it used to be but it'll still be difficult and require a bit of luck for the time you quoted. If you can go shoulder season (early June, late Aug) then you'll have more options. Still, there are only a few studio and 1 BR units so if that's what you want, you may need to try for a few years during the time you quoted.

3kidz4dis 10-06-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 46364073)
It sounds like you still would like to use your DVC membership but can't at a time that works otherwise. It also sounds like you wouldn't have to sell for financial issues. With those assumptions, esp since you only have enough for EOY, I'd consider keeping it and renting it out a couple of times if you can't get HH in summer or get a break otherwise. I get the impression that HH has been easier the last few years than it used to be but it'll still be difficult and require a bit of luck for the time you quoted. If you can go shoulder season (early June, late Aug) then you'll have more options. Still, there are only a few studio and 1 BR units so if that's what you want, you may need to try for a few years during the time you quoted.

Your assumptions are correct. It is not for financial reasons. We have always taken the kids out of school and gone in May or November and it worked great. Great weather, low crowds. Our love of Disney is just not great enough to put up with heat and crowds and the kids schedules are just getting too difficult to work around. Keeping and renting is a good option. The only negative to working hard and praying for luck at the 7 month mark is we would be scrambling with short notice to find an alternative vacation with beach rental being at a minimum at the 7 month mark. Hawaii would be tough with getting reasonable airfair at the 7 month mark. I appreciate all the suggestions. We also own Marriott and we would probably keep it because it has a wider variety of options. Thanks!

Caren90 10-06-2012 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RumpleMom (Post 46358724)
I just wanted to put in a word for going to WDW once you are empty nesters.

WDW is a lot of fun for adults without kids.

Also the kids can join you as their new careers allow.

I have to completely agree with this sentiment. Disney for adults is a wonderful vacation. Whether your children can make it with you or not, go and enjoy it without kids every once in awhile.

Stephen

Dean 10-06-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3kidz4dis (Post 46364211)
Your assumptions are correct. It is not for financial reasons. We have always taken the kids out of school and gone in May or November and it worked great. Great weather, low crowds. Our love of Disney is just not great enough to put up with heat and crowds and the kids schedules are just getting too difficult to work around. Keeping and renting is a good option. The only negative to working hard and praying for luck at the 7 month mark is we would be scrambling with short notice to find an alternative vacation with beach rental being at a minimum at the 7 month mark. Hawaii would be tough with getting reasonable airfair at the 7 month mark. I appreciate all the suggestions. We also own Marriott and we would probably keep it because it has a wider variety of options. Thanks!

The kids won't be in school forever plus when they get older, you may enjoy traveling without them. Then there will be even larger groups later on. Where do you own Marriott? Is it in the Destinations Program? Do you belong to II? What part of the US are you in? Those issues might affect my recommendations. If you owned a boatload of points I'd likely suggest you sell at least part but my sense is you're better off keeping and renting a couple of times to see how things go. If you sell SSR, you're likely to only get around $45-50 a point max after fees.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.