The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Spinoff thread - what can/can't you do that defies gender stereotypes? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3002658)

KimR 10-04-2012 01:11 PM

Spinoff thread - what can/can't you do that defies gender stereotypes?

This was inspired by the multi-tasking thread. Unlike most women, I cannot multi-task at all. In addition, I am hopeless at the following:

Party planning
Decorating
Socializing, talking to people
Organizing
Cleaning
Cooking

If it weren't for the fact that I hate sports and love makeup, clothes and jewelry I think I'd have to turn in my girl card. Interestingly, on the Myers-Briggs test I am an INTP which is very unusual for a woman. That explains a lot, I guess. :)

What about you - what traits do you have that are uncharacteristic for your gender?

diesel 10-04-2012 01:30 PM

Most women have nice handwriting. Mine is like a third grade boys. I was always envious of girls who had that dainty handwriting.

Music City Mama 10-04-2012 01:36 PM

I hate to shop. I especially hate trying on clothes. Oddly, I like clothes/fashion, but it's a huge chore for me to actually go out and try on new clothes and buy them.

I have a penchant for low brow humor. I love smart, witty humor just as much, but I love stupidity, too (think Adam Sandler or worse, LOL).

Soldier's*Sweeties 10-04-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Music City Mama
I hate to shop. I especially hate trying on clothes. Oddly, I like clothes/fashion, but it's a huge chore for me to actually go out and try on new clothes and buy them.

I have a penchant for low brow humor. I love smart, witty humor just as much, but I love stupidity, too (think Adam Sandler or worse, LOL).

Same here.

I also love to cook but am not the best at it. I also really stink at styling my own hair. I can straighten it, scrunch it or put it in a ponytail but that's it.

SAHDad 10-04-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimR (Post 46348991)
What about you - what traits do you have that are uncharacteristic for your gender?

I'm a stay-at-home dad. By choice. ;)

brookmey 10-04-2012 01:54 PM

I can't cook and I hate doing it. I love to shop, but I'm not into clothes or makeup. I absolutely love college football and always sit with the guys when we're at football parties so I can actually watch the game.

ilovemk76 10-04-2012 02:01 PM

I am so not a girly girl. I can work on cars, repair the house and basically anything that is considered a "guy thing". I can cook, clean and run a household but I would hate to stay home all day.

This is me to a tee. http://www.personalitypage.com/ENTJ.html

shinysparklybubbles 10-04-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diesel
Most women have nice handwriting. Mine is like a third grade boys. I was always envious of girls who had that dainty handwriting.

My hand writing is terrible, I had to fill out forms for my son's preschool and I was embarrassed!

Andtototoo 10-04-2012 02:17 PM

-Can't cook. Have no interest in cooking.
-No interest in make-up. (I love to shop, love fashion. But make-up simply does not interest me. I wear lipstick and that's it.)

Handbag Lady 10-04-2012 02:27 PM

My hand-writing is bad, and I just don't care about cleaning and "keeping" a home.

I'm not good at cooking but I enjoy it. I collect handbags and wear make-up daily.

The on thing I have ZERO talent in is decorating.

kolohe_lady 10-04-2012 02:31 PM

Love sports. Hate shopping, especially for clothes. Makeup is pretty minimal. If a hair style takes longer than 5 minutes to accomplish, forget it except on the rarest of occasions. Cannot stand 99.5% of chick flicks or chick lit. Have never read, seen or have the slightest interest in Twilight or 50 Shades of Grey (Gray?). Not a fan of Valentine's Day, even though I'm in a happy, healthy relationship. More excited when I get new running shoes than 'girly' shoes. (With the exception of boots. I LOVE my boots. :) ) Always was hopelessly inept at flirting, (lucky for me, fiance was flirty enough for the both of us. :rotfl:) Excited to get married, but absolutely DREADING planning the wedding.:scared:

apirateslifeforme 10-04-2012 02:35 PM

I also hate shopping for clothing. I call my style "13-year-old boy" - t-shirt, jeans (although I like them to fit, not hang halfway down my butt because they're 10 sizes too big) and Converse Chuck Taylor hi-tops.

When I do go shopping, it consists of doing one lap around the outer aisle and declaring "I don't see anything."

I also can't stand chick flicks. Give me a nice action or sci-fi movie any day.

alex9179 10-04-2012 02:35 PM

I hate shopping for clothes, too. My husband had to badger me to go last time because most of my clothes had holes. Antique places, flea markets, and thrift stores are fun because I like decorating.

I'm the one that fixes things around the house and the tools are, mostly, mine. Plumbing, carpentry, etc. He'll put up light fixtures, but insists I help even though I bug him!

minkydog 10-04-2012 08:43 PM

I'm another one who hates shopping. And I wouldn't wear makeup at all, except that I work in a school and I don't want to scare anyone. :upsidedow Oh, and I hate decorating. I do not have one single picture on the walls.:scratchin

On the other hand, I can hitch my camper, tow it over the mountains, set it up and take it down. :thumbsup2 A lot of people think a woman can't do all that, but it's a piece of cake once you learn how.

Cindy B 10-04-2012 09:00 PM

I hate to shop. I'm not big on clothing, makeup or anything like that. I don't like jewelry either.

I like cars and some gadgets. One of my favorite presents from my husband was a new set of hubcaps for my car.