The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Moderate resorts. Where would you stay? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3002624)

mommy2jack 10-04-2012 01:33 PM

Moderate resorts. Where would you stay?

Hello all!

We are tentively planning a Disney trip for May 2013. We are not new to Disney but have always stayed off site (except for 2004 we stayed at the POLY for our honeymoon). We are considering staying at a moderate resort this time around. I'm leaning towards the Caribbean Beach Resort and my husband is leaning towards Port Orleans Riverside. Just wondering which one everyone else would pick and the reasons why you would pick one over the other.

Thanks!
:)

Chaoticsweetness 10-04-2012 01:36 PM

I am biased. I loved the mansions at POR it was beautiful there & not as spread out as CBR. :)

Valgoof 10-04-2012 01:39 PM

I voted for CSR since that's where we are staying for our first time onsite. It looks so pretty and peaceful.

Missytara 10-04-2012 01:43 PM

I am also biased; I love POR.

With young children, you may want to do POFQ; easier with the buses, smaller more compact resort, etc.

But POR will suit you as well. So many wonderful things for young ones to see and do.

We had a 5 year old and a 14 month old last year and they loved, loved, loved it.

jakeybake 10-04-2012 02:13 PM

I voted for POR

I have the same decision to make for my solo conference trip in December. What sold me on POR is the lounge, the much better food court, Boatwrights (much better than Shutters IMHO) and most of all, the boat ride to Downtown Disney.

Last time I was at CB I felt a little "trapped" when I was there. Like I was either in the room or the food court. At least at POR you can hang out in the lounge for a drink or take a nice, slow boat trip to Downtown Disney to stroll around.

My .2 cents!

J

klitteral2009 10-04-2012 02:23 PM

We are taking our family trip in late January and were initially considering POFQ...but i think we've decided to go with the value AoA suite for more room and because the kids would enjoy the theming better than what they have at POFQ. It's a little more money, actually, which was a little shocking to me but in the end i think it will work best for our family of 5. But if you aren't concerned with having room to really spread out or have a smaller family, I think I'd stay at POFQ because I've heard so many wonderful things about how small it is and easy to navigate. Also basically getting two resorts in one seeing as how you share ammenities with POR. :) This is just from observation on the boards, not experience :)

elaw 10-04-2012 02:33 PM

Click here for a previous poll on this topic
Note:- Not trying to hijack this thread :confused3 ... just trying to be helpful :)

DizDaD7 10-04-2012 02:43 PM

My vote goes out for C S R. To me its hands down the best moderate resort out there. We consider it a deluxe lite. But if you have it narrowed down to the other 2 resorts I would definitely choose Port Orleans Riverside. it's our second favorite moderate. From the food court to the pool to the downtown Disney boat ride. And newly renovated rooms.

boscov 10-04-2012 04:54 PM

LOVE POR....that is all :)

dansdad 10-04-2012 05:03 PM

My vote went to CBR. With the ages of your kids, the kiddie splash area would be awesome. We love the relaxed laid back atmosphere at CBR. It is such a nice change of pace from the craziness of the parks. It's our favorite Moderate.

twinboysmom 10-04-2012 08:34 PM

I have two year old twin boys. We LOVED cbr. I had very low expectations and I was more than pleased. Our boys loved the pool and kids water play area. The kids area is gated and is only for the 48 inch and under crowd. There are lots of you tube videos showing it if you'd like a look. My boys loved it so much that we returned to the pool to pool hop (legally we are DVC members and were staying on points) when we stayed at another resort last month.

The moderate I would not recommend is CSR. I loved this resort and loved the food options but to me it was the least young child friendly. The pool is geared towards older kids and the kids play area was pitiful.

mickeymedic 10-04-2012 09:15 PM

DH and I have stayed at both - and our absolute favorite resort is POR. Besides atmosphere, the other thing you will want to consider is bed size. CBR still has Full sized beds. All the other moderate resorts have queen beds.

shell8558 10-04-2012 09:23 PM

We have stayed at both and we Love POR!!! Especially the mansions!! You just cant beat the beautiful grounds, boat to DD, food court, and wonderful pool area. But I am biased, I'm a Louisiana girl and this resort brings out the great feeling of the south!

lilouisianagal 10-04-2012 10:48 PM

Honestly, I think you will be happy with any selections. CBR is very pretty (beaches!!) and has a great feel, but it is very spread out. This is my mom's favorite resort, so I stayed at CBR lots as a kid. POFQ is wonderfully decorated and much more compact (and I like the pool there!). It's like a clean version of New Orleans! POR is beautiful all around and has a great main area (food, etc).

I'm on the flip side from PP--I'm leaving Louisiana, I don't want to go stay there! So that knocks out 3 mod resorts for DH and me.

We're hoping to stay at CSR next trip so I can't say one way or the other on it, but I doubt you would be disappointed with any of them!

freemanms 10-05-2012 10:47 AM

Well, I will go with the third option: "Port Orleans Resort - Riverside"