The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney for Families (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   6 Hour Flight with Infant Must Haves (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3002247)

NEVERENOUGHWDW 10-03-2012 04:38 PM

6 Hour Flight with Infant Must Haves

I have traveled all over the world and always feel very prepared.

In a few weeks our baby will be on his first flight for 6 hours.
I'm trying to get a must have list of things to carry with us on the plane.

My diaper bag always has extra outfits
pacifiers
gas drops
A&D
teething toys
diapers
wipes
hats
blankets
zip lock bags
bottles & formulas

Anything else for must haves?

momof3ds 10-03-2012 05:13 PM

A change of clothes for any adult who will hold the baby on the plane.

DisneyRegulars 10-03-2012 06:12 PM

How old is the infant?

NEVERENOUGHWDW 10-03-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyRegulars (Post 46341714)
How old is the infant?

He'll be 5 1/2 months when we travel.

Figee17 10-03-2012 06:58 PM

I found traveling with my DS at this age was a breeze compared to now when he is getting more mobile! Sounds like your diaper bag is well stocker, but I agree with PP about the extra change of clothes for the adults...no knowing when a blow out will happen or when you won't be allowed to get up when the time for a diaper change comes. I traveled with more formula than necessary and was thankful for that. We found that feeding at take of and landing eliminated ear problems. Have fun!!

JJsmama 10-03-2012 07:13 PM

I also agree that traveling with an young infant is easier than you think it will be - unless baby is not feeling well... We did a 6 hour flight when my 3rd was 2 months and a 14.5 hour flight when he was six months.

My advice: take more pacifiers than you think you need and keep them in ziplocs. They are so easy to drop in the small space. Take hand sanitizer for yourself when handling the bottles, etc in case you can't get up.

If you are also breastfeeding, build up your milk supply beforehand and don't take the bottle, formula at all. Much easier.

Good Luck.

TheRustyScupper 10-03-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEVERENOUGHWDW (Post 46340857)
. . . Anything else for must haves? . . .

Three words,
. . . ben
. . . a
. . . dryl

LilnStitchy 10-03-2012 08:44 PM

I found it nice to have a boppy or some sort of pillow to rest the baby atop. The boppy is sort of a pain to lug around and I see they have a travel one that zips together and has a shoulder strap. Would have made my life easier then. I took DS on two 7 hr flights when he was 8 mos and he slept through most of it. He slept at 15 mos on a red eye with the boppy under him. Also agree with the pp's a 5.5 mo will be a breeze :)

Habbott 10-04-2012 07:32 AM

I took my little guy on a 3.5 hour flight when he was 6.5 months. He slept the majority of the time. We had a few new toys he could play with. And we also had our iPad. While he didn't do much with hat, he really liked looking at the pictures we had on it.

Definitely agree with having a second outfit for you as well. You never know what's going to happen.

lost*in*cyberspace 10-04-2012 07:52 AM

Bring at least twice as many diapers as you think you will need.

dsneygirl 10-04-2012 08:33 AM

Bring extra formula and diapers in case of delays. I agree with the others we flew to Hawaii when DS was 6 months and it was a breeze compared to last week's 2.5 hour flight to Orlando.

heather13 10-04-2012 09:00 AM

If you don't want to bring a boppy (which I lugged for our first flight but not after that) I found an inflatable pillow with a blanket over it worked just as well and was more packable.

ITA with change of clothes for an adult. The one time I didn't do this I had a sick child and was stuck in the same clothes the whole flight. And the extra diapers. Delays are no fun if your LO needs a change!

Do you have a changing pad and someplace (like a plastic bag) to put a poopy diaper? Be forewarned, it's awful to change a diaper on most planes. There's no real changing table, and more than once I've had to change my girls on the floor in front of the bathrooms. Fortunately many flight attendants are nice about it.

Most likely your DS will sleep a lot of the flight, and when he's awake you'll probably find that plenty of people will play peek-a-boo with him between the seats, or walk him up & down the aisle for a change of scenery.

amylevan 10-04-2012 11:34 AM

Extra diapers and formula!!

I flew to MCO, a 2 hr flight for us, by myself with DS when he was 9 mos. old. We were delayed 7 hrs because our plane was coming from MCO, where they had severe thunderstorms. The weather by us - perfect, and when we arrived at the airport they were still predicting an on-time flight. Caught us a little by surprise, but luckily I'm a bit of a paranoid packer so we were ok. (The airline offered me milk for DS when it gave out complimentary soda to us in the terminal, but he was still on formula at that age, so no go...)

NEVERENOUGHWDW 10-04-2012 12:50 PM

I will def pack extra diapers & formula. I have a padded changing pad in his diaper bag that I forgot to mention and always plastic bags.

Clothes for my husband and I are a great idea!

MSSANDRA 10-04-2012 01:04 PM

I would have some infant tylenol and a doctor approved dosage just in case he has true ear pain. I soooo agree with a change for adults as well as the baby. Ask DH how a shirt smells about 6 hours after a major formula rejection.