The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Horseback riding question.. (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3002233)

king kamehameha 10-03-2012 05:13 PM

Horseback riding question..

Does anyone know if everyone needs to where a helmet regardless of age, and can you take a camera along for the ride? pirate:

KIRSTIN'S MOMMY 10-03-2012 07:50 PM

I've done the trail ride at Ft. Wilderness a few times and never had to wear a helmet, but the kids did.

ppony 10-04-2012 12:05 AM

I'm shocked any place would allow anyone to go w/o a helmet. Especially Disney! I always used to wear one. Didn't matter my age. Even riding my own horse. Horses, are animals and as such accidents can happen. Even at Disney. I've never ride w/o one. Period.

Mickeyrella 10-04-2012 12:37 AM

The ride is pretty boring especially if you ride horses. I only say this because I do showjumping and equitation with my horse and I was pretty excited of doing this... But it was actually pretty boring and extremely s....loooooooo.....w. When I went guests under the age of 16 had to wear a helmet, older than 16 optional. I don't remember but I think you had to sign a waiver saying you understand what horseback riding implies and that accidents could happen. I might be wrong about the age since this was a few years ago.

ppony 10-04-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickeyrella (Post 46344289)
The ride is pretty boring especially if you ride horses. I only say this because I do showjumping and equitation with my horse and I was pretty excited of doing this... But it was actually pretty boring and extremely s....loooooooo.....w. When I went guests under the age of 16 had to wear a helmet, older than 16 optional. I don't remember but I think you had to sign a waiver saying you understand what horseback riding implies and that accidents could happen. I might be wrong about the age since this was a few years ago.

All riding places make you sign the waiver. I'm still just shocked, no matter how well trained and now laid back a horse is, falling off of one (as I'm sure you've done too) can hurt, a LOT. Though I'll grant you, a lot more at speed. Ouch, bad memories. My horse was 16.2 hands too, it was a l-o-n-g way down. I've been grateful to have my helmet on, even in an arena, let alone out where there are rocks and hard things to fall on. :upsidedow If they say it's optional, I hope people do wear it. Bicyclists do w/o batting an eye. You won't look "stupid".

cgattis 10-04-2012 09:11 AM

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but a helmet won't keep you from breaking your neck. Do I make my kids wear one--yes. And while skiing too. Do I? Nope. Should I? Probably. Also a note--on any of the Disney watercraft, only the kids are required to wear a lifejacket. No matter how well you swim, I'd you get knocked out in the water, you sink. Hypocritical? I guess. But I promise I always wear my seatbelt :)

Dorisk3 10-04-2012 09:21 AM

My kids just did this and loved it. Neither had ever really rode a horse before, so it was an adventure to them. Everyone had helmets on, I'm not sure if adults are required to wear them or optional. They said no cameras. I wasn't on the ride so I don't know if people took pictures on the trail, but you are not supposed to.

ppony 10-04-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgattis (Post 46345856)
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but a helmet won't keep you from breaking your neck.

Um, it's not meant to protect your neck. Just like bicycle and motorcycle helmets aren't protecting your neck either.