The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Budget Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Budget Xmas gift ideas (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3002195)

Fire14 10-03-2012 02:59 PM

Budget Xmas gift ideas

I'm looking for ideas on what to get nieces and nephews for Xmas this year. The oldest 3 have ipod touches, youngest tyke has a kindle or some tablet type thing.
I'm leaning towards I tunes gc's and small something else for oldest 3. Younger 2 I'm clueless and 1 set of parents are no help, the other will give me ideas but it's hard not to feel like he's getting raw end of deal. trying to stay around $ 30/child.

Oldest 3 are:
Boy: 17
Gilrl: 14
Girl:13

Younger 2:
Boy: 7 or 8, parents are no help for ideas
Boy 4: Step sib to oldest 2

BubMunkeyBles 10-03-2012 03:29 PM

I do Target gift cards for our younger nieces and nephews. They enjoy picking out their own toys and things.

Pesky 10-03-2012 03:33 PM

For the youngest, switch n' go dinosaur -- covers dinosaurs and cars! Cheapie remote control car -- disney.com has RC Mater or Finn McMissile on sale for $15. Legos.

For the 7-8 YO, legos -- ninjagos or Star Wars are popular sets. My nephew is 6 YO and has been into ninjagos for over 2 years now. The airhunterz bow and arrow set (but that is $25). Hexbug -- there are different kinds. I'm getting a 9YO niece the crab one and that is running about $13-15.

For the older ones, I'd just think about a $30 GC instead. They'd probably love it!

MomToOne 10-03-2012 04:34 PM

I have 6 kids ranging in age from 5 to 17 that I have to buy for each year that are not directly relatives, and I don't know them well at all so I face this challenge ever year. It's a long story........

Anywho, this year I am giving them all those double wall tumblers with their initials on them - I picked them up at Kohls last month when they were on clearance for around $5/each. I am putting a $5 gift card in each one, to either Starbucks, Smoothie King or McDonald's based on their age and what I suspect they'd like most. You could do something similar (I find these types of tumblers are going on sale for cheaper and cheaper everywhere), but change out the $5 gift card for a $20 or $25 one, or even just a $20 bill.

In the past, I've given the older boys baseball caps or aluminum waterbottles for the local university or pro football teams. The younger girls are easy since anything pink and princess-y usually works. The younger boys I go for things like remote control anything (what boy - even adult - doesn't like them?) or board games or outdoor toys.

figaro2tigger 10-04-2012 12:27 AM

At Target, look for the Target GC attached to the Lego little plastic case with pieces inside. Last year, the GC Lego set made one of 3 (your choice) a snowman, bear, or Target dog. It usually shows up after Black Friday in limited quantities by the cards AND hanging on the side of the toy aisle.
I load the GC with $5 and give it to my Nephews to build during the family Christmas party. You can put any value on the card.
Here is a link to an EBay auction of last year's GC (I don't sell, but it's a good picture).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLLECTIBLE-...item3f1c8a3836

Don't pay full price for I Tunes GC's. There are often sales of buy 3 ea $20 I Tunes GC's for $50.

edit: There is a Target Hexbug GC for sale on EBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEXAPILLAR-T...item1c2b05e646
I believe that I saw this card in store last week, but didn't look closely because only the Lego GC's would be something that I could use.
HTH

scoobndolliesmom 10-04-2012 06:32 AM

budget gift ideas

We buy gifts for many. One gift that seems to go over well is t-shirts from aeropostle or Hollister. I was able to get them for $5. I stocked up right before school started but I know they have ran the sale since.:tink: Happy Shopping!

lukenick1 10-04-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by figaro2tigger (Post 46344457)

Don't pay full price for I Tunes GC's. There are often sales of buy 3 ea $20 I Tunes GC's for $50.

Where do you find those?

luvmy3 10-04-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukenick1 (Post 46345227)
Where do you find those?

I got a $25 Itunes card for $12.50 when I signed up for savelogy.com They run promos like that for new accounts.

The closer you get to the holidays you will see more deals on the cards.

iluveeyore 10-04-2012 09:06 AM

I plan to buy my nephews a Hallmark ornament as there are so many to choose from and these are awesome keepsakes for when they are older - the collection this year has all their favourites - Iron Man, Darth Vader, even a John Deere tractor for my oldest nephew!

Fire14 10-04-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluveeyore (Post 46346319)
I plan to buy my nephews a Hallmark ornament as there are so many to choose from and these are awesome keepsakes for when they are older - the collection this year has all their favourites - Iron Man, Darth Vader, even a John Deere tractor for my oldest nephew!

this is neat idea but let's just say kid's parents are not type to keep this kind of stuff for yrs.

richmond282 10-04-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukenick1 (Post 46345227)
Where do you find those?

I have seen them at Best Buy and maybe Target around Black Friday.