The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   UK Trip Planning Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Gatwick airport hotels (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3001904)

diddldonna 10-03-2012 02:36 AM

Gatwick airport hotels

We are planning on traveling to gatwick by train and doing twilight check in, then spend night in hotel. What hotels are really close to gatwick south? Like within walking distance to save on transfer costs.

madmumof2 10-03-2012 03:00 AM

The Hilton and Sofitel are the most popular. We stayed at the sofitel last time and it was stunning. Both are quite expensive though.

This time were staying in days hotel which ipwas free with airmiles, cheap without, and they provide free transport to gatwick too which is only about 5 minutes away :)

mrtoffee 10-03-2012 04:45 AM

We always use the Hilton as it is joined to the South terminal by a walkway and is so simple for both twilight check in and the morning of the flight. I booked through virgin atlantic's frequent flyer club as they had the best price at the time, which was 89 for a family of 4.

madmumof2 10-03-2012 05:15 AM

Wow, Sofitel was quoting us over 200 this time! :( I would have loved to stay there again but no way am I paying that ridiculous price for one night :(

OrlandoMagic 10-03-2012 05:31 AM

You are better off staying in a hotel close to, but not at the airport. We were looking at the Hilton and Sofitel but couldn't justify the cost.

We have booked the Premier Inn Manor Royal, rated no.1 hotel in Crawley. Only cost us 39 for the night and the shuttles will cost 3 each so a total of 45 which I think is a bargin! :)

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...x_England.html

misspickle 10-03-2012 06:49 AM

we booked the travelodge gatwick airport central for 25.50 for 2 adults 2 childrenfor a bed for a few hrs is ideal :)

madmumof2 10-03-2012 09:27 AM

We're at the days hotel, probably around the same price as those posting above me but I got it free with airmiles :D They also include a transfer to the south terminal with the price :D

Laurafoster 10-03-2012 12:01 PM

We prefer to stay at the on airport hotels - purely because we always arrive at he airport early and do twilight check in. Otherwise we would then have to transfer to the hotel and then back again. Not so bad if transfers are cheap/free but sometimes when they are 3pp each way it adds to the cost.

We have had some great deals at the Hilton before. Most years they do a 50% off sale in January (for selected dates only) and this can usually be combined with a cashback website. We had a family room or 80 with breakfast on our last stay there.

On our most recent trip we stayed at the Marriott, which although is onsite it's about a 5-10 minute walk to the terminal (it has shuttles too). This was 80 for a family room (2doubles) with breakfast.

queendisney 10-03-2012 12:54 PM

we always stay in the executive rooms at the Hilton Gatwick. Yes it costs a bit more but its worth while in our case. With these rooms you get the buffet breakfast in the morning and you have use of the executive lounge where the drinks are free and they also bring out food (chicken wings, cheese platter, other nibbly foods etc) in the evenings. It also depends on your attitude to the hotel, ie to us its the proper start of our holiday and we take full advantage of a nice room and the hotel facilities but for others its just a bed for the night before the holiday begins.
This year we upgraded to a King Suite as I was celebrating a BIG birthday and it was just wonderful.
At the Hilton if you book a delux room they often ask you if you want to upgrade for a small fee to the executive room when you check in and its well worth doing. IMO anyway...:)

1nfrequent 10-03-2012 05:51 PM

I'll ditto Laura's comment about sales in January. If you're feeling brave and willing to wait it out, you can get a better deal in the New Year for Hilton and I think that Sofitel do the same thing. I've stayed at both of them in the past and I think I've paid between 80 and 100 for the room (I don't include breakfast because I can get it cheaper in the airport).

Depending on when you're going, I can see rates of 102 room only for the Hilton via its website. The Sofitel is showing an eye-watering 200 at the moment.:crazy2:

1F

Cinderella2006 10-04-2012 04:54 PM

we booked two triple rooms with breakfast for 91 each room at the Hilton which i thought was very good ... I do love the Premier Inns, they offer great value for money but i have two children, one of which is disabled and i just find it more convenient.

royal99 10-04-2012 05:46 PM

We always go by train and if we stay overnight and we feeling flush its always sofitel but when we want to save a little I would always recommend Premier inn Gatwick central. Nice clean rooms, nice efficient staff and 5 mins walking to the north terminals front door. If your departing south terminal you could do it in 10 mins or so including monorail. Also a bus is available for a few quid although this can be a bit long winded. Enjoy

Tinkerpeas hubby 10-04-2012 06:45 PM

We was going to sty at the Hilton but there was too many reviews saying that alot of people was getting put in the old wing and it's awful ( and I do love my reviews lol)

We have booked to stay at the marriot it looks really nice and was 70 for a double only a 5 min walk plus they have shuttles but since we will only have hand luggage we will walk it!

We don't fly until 1.15 so will get a nice lie in this time instead of our usual 4am starts haha.

Cindy x

Laurafoster 10-05-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerpeas hubby
We was going to sty at the Hilton but there was too many reviews saying that alot of people was getting put in the old wing and it's awful ( and I do love my reviews lol)

We have booked to stay at the marriot it looks really nice and was 70 for a double only a 5 min walk plus they have shuttles but since we will only have hand luggage we will walk it!

We don't fly until 1.15 so will get a nice lie in this time instead of our usual 4am starts haha.

Cindy x

We have been in the old wing a few times and its definitely not awful, our rooms have always been immaculately clean and in good condition. I've had bad rooms in the 'new' wing. (To be fair the new wing opened in 2003 so its not that new) :)

I think the new wing tends to be mostly deluxe and executive rooms.

mrtoffee 10-05-2012 06:47 AM

We were in the old wing last year at the hilton and the room was very nice, plus as it was a family room it was huge :)