The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   The DIS Unplugged Podcast (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Samsonite Hardside luggage? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3000475)

DavidandLeahZ 09-30-2012 08:55 AM

Samsonite Hardside luggage?

Hi everyone,

It's about time we invest in some new luggage, but wanted some opinions from those who traveled a lot:
Are the Samsonite Hardside pieces worth twice the price of their softside siblings?

Anyone have any personal experience with them?

- Dave

LionKingRules84 09-30-2012 01:37 PM

Well I just bought some for our upcoming Knights and Lights trip with the Dis so when I get back I'll let you know how they do!

One thing I can say though is they are very light unpacked but a little strange to carry when fully loaded but then the hard shell luggage is new for me, my husband swears they are better but I will find out first hand on our trip. ;)

OKW Lover 09-30-2012 01:59 PM

I don't have any experience with that specific luggage, but overall I prefer the soft sided over the hard sided. I just find that its easier to maneuver the soft-sided when loading them into a car trunk.

We also just buy the very cheap luggage from Walmart. We travel a lot and found over time that no matter how much you spend on luggage, the airlines will destroy it in 10 trips or less.

mikelan6 09-30-2012 02:04 PM

I never liked the hard luggage - especially now that airlines are allowing less weight per bag.

Eliza32 09-30-2012 02:12 PM

We have 2 samsonite hard cases.......haven't used them in years as the baggage allowances are too low these days without that weight added!!

We just use cheap holdalls, then it doesn't matter when the airlines wreck them (and they do....trust me, I know!!)

LionKingRules84 09-30-2012 03:26 PM

Believe it or not the Hard shell bags we have are Lighter than the fabric/vinyl suitcases we had or else we wouldn't have bought them. Not sure why they are said to be heavier. The fabric bags are smaller in size too and still heavier than the hard shell ones.

AndyPok1 09-30-2012 04:59 PM

I'm a firm believer in travelpro. I have a carryon size and a huge one. Plus, they're expandable to hold more stuff. I've never seen the appeal of hard sided.

Paul in CT 09-30-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKW Lover (Post 46309315)
I don't have any experience with that specific luggage, but overall I prefer the soft sided over the hard sided. I just find that its easier to maneuver the soft-sided when loading them into a car trunk.

We also just buy the very cheap luggage from Walmart. We travel a lot and found over time that no matter how much you spend on luggage, the airlines will destroy it in 10 trips or less.

Absolutely right!! I have had two hard sided luggage ruined by the airlines. They haved managed to dent them enough so that they don't stay closed. The last time I used the newer one, it arrived in our room from MME totally taped up. Both Disney and the airline denied responsibility. They both blamed the other. :( From now on it's soft side only for us.

We also find the soft side luggage lighter than the Samsonite of the same capacity. I hope that the OP is luckier with their new luggage.

*NikkiBell* 09-30-2012 05:43 PM

I don't have experience with that particular brand, but have found that the hardside luggage has less space on the inside and is just too heavy to maneuver. Combine that with how much weight it adds to the scale at the airport and it just didn't make sense for me to use. I'm glad I only have one hardside piece and recently bought a new set of softside luggage at Home Goods for a great price.