The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   FB - private emails showing on timeline (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2999417)

StephMK 09-27-2012 07:38 PM

FB - private emails showing on timeline
 
Ok, I got this from a friend on FB and found it to be accurate. If you look at your timeline, your emails show up as wall posts! Apparently, this happened in the last 24 hours. Check each year you've been on FB because I had really old emails that looked like wall posts and were visible to everyone.

To fix it, you have to go to where it says XX people posted on your timeline - hover to the right of that and a pencil icon will appear, click on it and say hide from timeline.

I just fixed all of mine and hoping there isn't anything incriminating sitting on one of my friend's pages! :scratchin :badpc:

Albort 09-27-2012 07:48 PM

im not seeing this...

I know facebook recently forced everyone to Name@facebook.com
man, timeline is just full of problems... wish we can op out for the older profile pages...

EDIT:
looked around my settings and found this...
http://i.imgur.com/wPDk2.jpg

StephMK 09-27-2012 07:52 PM

Hmm, maybe it is only certain people but I went to a few of my friends and saw posts that were definitely emails.

They look like wall posts but if you check closely, they are emails that show up like status updates or wall posts.

quentina 09-27-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephMK (Post 46287740)
Ok, I got this from a friend on FB and found it to be accurate. If you look at your timeline, your emails show up as wall posts! Apparently, this happened in the last 24 hours.

To fix it, you have to go to where it says XX people posted on your timeline - hover to the right of that and a pencil icon will appear, click on it and say hide from timeline.

I just fixed all of mine and hoping there isn't anything incriminating sitting on one of my friend's pages! :scratchin :badpc:

I dont even see the xxx people posted on your timeline??? Where is that??

Coconut36 09-27-2012 07:53 PM

Not seeing it on mine or my friends either.

StephMK 09-27-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quentina (Post 46287883)
I dont even see the xxx people posted on your timeline??? Where is that??

If I click on a year of my timeline, under pictures, on the right column, it says X number of people posted on your timeline. If I look at those, some of them are actually emails, not wall posts. That happened all the way to the beginning of my account.

I'm normally set on private but I wonder if certain settings are creating this and not others?? :confused:

binny 09-27-2012 08:20 PM

I went in that way and saw some that I thought were messages as well so I just clicked on the "Hide from timeline" for the whole box and now its empty :)

I can still see them if Im going through my account but no one else can

happygirl 09-27-2012 08:31 PM

I don't see anything like that on my timeline

SaraJayne 09-27-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephMK (Post 46287920)
If I click on a year of my timeline, under pictures, on the right column, it says X number of people posted on your timeline. If I look at those, some of them are actually emails, not wall posts. That happened all the way to the beginning of my account.

I'm normally set on private but I wonder if certain settings are creating this and not others?? :confused:

I just checked and I'm seeing the same thing you are.

RhondaL 09-27-2012 08:57 PM

I don't use Facebook email but have sent messages....should I check that out?

Ceila 09-27-2012 09:02 PM

I'm seeing the "x number of people poster" section, but everything there were legitimate wall posts, not e-mails. I'm not seeing anything like what the OP is worried about.

lovetoscrap 09-27-2012 09:25 PM

Is this what you are talking about?
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/te...ages-1B6071010
http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/24/rep...ed-by-friends/

Because those are not private messages, they are old wall posts from the way FB used to work.

StephMK 09-28-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetoscrap (Post 46288619)
Is this what you are talking about?
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/te...ages-1B6071010
http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/24/rep...ed-by-friends/

Because those are not private messages, they are old wall posts from the way FB used to work.


Yes, that's it! But mine are private messages and the comments show that others are having the same issue. These messages still show in my messages tab and could be seen on my timeline until I fixed it. I am positive these were not wall posts, they were private messages. And they weren't just in 2009 either. I could see messages for all years I have been on FB and can confirm it in my messages list.

SaraJayne 09-28-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephMK (Post 46290958)
Yes, that's it! But mine are private messages and the comments show that others are having the same issue. These messages still show in my messages tab and could be seen on my timeline until I fixed it. I am positive these were not wall posts, they were private messages. And they weren't just in 2009 either. I could see messages for all years I have been on FB and can confirm it in my messages list.

Yes, mine were private messages as well. Thanks for mentioning it so people are made aware.

I hid all mine, since those messages were private for a reason.

Princess on the Run 09-28-2012 08:12 AM

When I saw people posting this warning, I looked at mine. There were a lot of old wall posts that probably SHOULD have been set as PMs but weren't -- fro before FB became so big and probably people didn't think about privacy because not as many people were on it. I also Googled and FB states that they are absolutely not PMs but old wall posts and that they have investigated every reported case and found that all of them were wall posts. I don't know if that's true or not, but that's what they are saying.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.