The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Pixar cruisers--walk to Ghirardelli in SF (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998964)

theggs4ever 09-27-2012 01:42 AM

Pixar cruisers--walk to Ghirardelli in SF

Did anyone walk there? If so, how was it?

Thanks. :)

minniemoms 09-27-2012 01:46 AM

I don't think it's far, but just would like to know just how far.

kristof65 09-27-2012 02:03 AM

It depends on what pier the ship is at, but to give you an idea, IIRC from my years in the area, it can take 15-20 minutes to walk from Pier 39 to Ghirardelli. I think the cruise ship piers are a little further away than pier 39, though.

GoofyDisneyDaddy 09-27-2012 06:59 AM

It is definitely walkable, and a pretty walk as well, partly along the bay, past pier 39 and the sea lions, and its generally very touristy with shops and what not along the way. Probably a 20-30 min walk.

dittymau 09-27-2012 07:35 AM

From where the ship docks there is really neat street trolley that runs along the embarcadero ($2/pp) that will take you the short distance to fisherman's wharf, from there. It is a short walk to ghiradelli square. I also recommend the Buena Vista Cafe nearby for a truly original SF experience, Irish Coffee! BTW, I also recommend a visit to the Disney Museum ($20/pp) for true Disneyphobes...

FOV 09-27-2012 07:36 AM

We were just in San Fran this summer and we visited Ghiradelli Square, but not from a cruise ship. It is very close to Fisherman's Wharf. The square itself is tiny. It's a little area with a few shops, including the famous Ghiradelli ice cream parlor. The first time we went there were huge lines to even get into the shops (we were there in July, so a busy tourist time) so we left and came back later. Second time we only waited about 15 minutes to get our ice cream. The sundae was good but of all the things to do in San Fran I would probably skip this and do something else.

If you have kids the Exploratorium is awesome! Even my 14 y/o (the "I hate all museums, all the time" kid) loved it. I had to drag him out of there. We all loved it.

Another thing that we liked was Chinatown. One of my kids favorite things from the whole trip was going to the tiny Chinatown Fortune Cookie factory and getting taste of a warm cookie right off the griddle. The factory is really small but it was interesting and fun to see.

nunzia 09-27-2012 07:44 AM

It was super close. We had our cab from the Walt Disney Family Museum drop us off at Ghiardelli for ice crem then strolled back to the ship..slowly on the street, not by the water..and it didn't seem to take long at all. Maybe 10-15 minutes walking slowly and peeking into shops? I think we docked at Pier 35..super quick to Alcatraz also that was at Pier 33. We had the giant Celebrity Millenium docked by us.

caladbolg 09-27-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FOV (Post 46280783)
If you have kids the Exploratorium is awesome! Even my 14 y/o (the "I hate all museums, all the time" kid) loved it. I had to drag him out of there. We all loved it.

We did the Exploratorium! Super fun with all the hands-on science exhibits. My 10 year old didn't want to leave. I definitely recommend.

The Wonder docked next door to pier 39. Here's a photo to give you an idea of how close! :)

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...b567055f_c.jpg

BAT 09-27-2012 11:08 AM

Nice shot!

jlmarr 09-27-2012 11:27 AM

It's about 1.1 miles according to Google Maps. I've created a custom path through the heart of Fisherman's Wharf rather than the most direct path. You can always return via the most direct path, i.e. North Point St.

http://goo.gl/maps/XSp03

Be sure to use Street View to get an idea of the inclines involved near Ghirardelli.

jlmarr 09-27-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dittymau (Post 46280772)
I also recommend the Buena Vista Cafe nearby for a truly original SF experience, Irish Coffee!

Ditto on that. A great Irish coffee. Allegedly it was invented there. Buena Vista is at Beach & Hyde, across the street from the cable car turntable.
Quote:

BTW, I also recommend a visit to the Disney Museum ($20/pp) for true Disneyphobes...
*Disneyphile ;)

KimnChris 09-27-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caladbolg (Post 46282678)
We did the Exploratorium! Super fun with all the hands-on science exhibits. My 10 year old didn't want to leave. I definitely recommend.

The Wonder docked next door to pier 39. Here's a photo to give you an idea of how close! :)

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...b567055f_c.jpg

Great Pic!

The square is about a 15 min walk - Could take 20 if you have kids.. But an easy non uphill walk, tons to see while your walking..

I highly recommend taking in some bread at the original Boudin bakery.. While walking some things to remember..

A - Street performers / peddlers etc - There will be quite a bit of these guys performing and some even do this hide behind a fake bush and scare you for tips. Just been cautious, but usually nothing to worry about.. Try to avoid if you don't want to get hounded for tips.

B - Taxis and the road - Careful crossing roads and watch out for the taxi's those guys are careless and reckless, stay on the walkways.

C - Pier 39 is pretty awesome just note the food is super expensive. Also the aquarium is pretty cool, but expensive and very short.

KC

ludari 09-27-2012 12:57 PM

I walked past Ghirardelli twice on the same day. Not a far walk.

theggs4ever 09-27-2012 01:02 PM

Thanks everyone. We will have a 7 year old and a two year old (she is in a stroller). Is the cable car turntable near Ghirardelli?

KimnChris 09-27-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theggs4ever (Post 46284058)
Thanks everyone. We will have a 7 year old and a two year old (she is in a stroller). Is the cable car turntable near Ghirardelli?

Yes over by Hyde street there is a turnaround.. Right near the square.