The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney for Families (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What a trip! Ever had anyone not have fun? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998594)

Marsheliz 09-26-2012 11:03 AM

What a trip! Ever had anyone not have fun?
 
We are finally back and I am sad to say this was not the magical trip we hoped for. :( It started off with my husband leaving formula on plane, Came back minutes later and they had already thrown out, forgot to put our tags for ME (on two bags) to bring to our room. So on phone for an hour to try to track them down. My mom is very sick (Stage 4 Cancer) and had a hard time getting around in the parks which caused some stress. My husband says it was the worst trip he had ever been on, which leaves me so sad. I know alot of it had to do with mom and having to take care of her but you have no choice, you know?? Yes, there were some hiccups along the way but all in all, my kids had a great time as they do not have stress obviously. Oh and we also had to move resorts at 1 AM- as I thought Port Orleans French Quarter would be big enought but it wasn.t They upgraded us to AOA suite for the same price.. THANK HEAVENS FOR THAT! What a cool resort.. The last thing that happened was we got a picture made at Splash Mountain- My 4 year old's first time and my husband left it at the airport in a bag with snacks. Is there any way to order another one? The price was steep but its the memory that I am worried about.


I am just so upset today. Anyone else came back from Disney feeling like it wasnt what you hoped for? Maybe better luck next time..... :confused3

ConvenientTruth 09-26-2012 11:43 AM

It sounds like you just ran into a case of Murphy's Law....some trips are doomed from the start. Hopefully your next trip will be just the opposite...

Ava 09-26-2012 12:11 PM

It sounds like you are both stressed out and had one of those trips where it seems everything that can go wrong does. On the bright side, your kids had a great time and I'm sure made some wonderful memories with your mom. In a few weeks or months, when the initial disappointment from things gone wrong wears off, you will remember the fun times and the memories you made and forget about the other stuff. Here's hoping your next trip is more magical.

mrsbornkuntry 09-26-2012 12:19 PM

We've had some trips that are better than others, but we just learn from them and move on, we still keep going back :thumbsup2. We learn what works for our family, we know now what kind of resort to stay at, we know that we prefer to have the dining plan and that I need one table service meal a day to sit down and decompress. It was all trial and error.

I imagine next trip you won't forget to put the ME tags on all of the bags and your DH won't leave the formula (if needed) on the plane. I just think you had alot on your plate this trip that made it not quite as magical as you had hoped, but don't give up on Disney.

When my DD was a baby (16 years ago) I was leaving her with my brother for a night while DH and I had a date night. I had two diaper bags and left the one with all of her formula and bottles in it in the car and I didn't even realize it until we went back the next day to pick her up. They just ran out and bought what they needed at the time, but 16 years later my brother and his wife still tease me about it.

Tigger1966 09-26-2012 12:44 PM

My last two trips with my teenage son were horrible. They pretty much sucked the magic out of Disney for me for a while. It's terrible when your most recent memories of your favorite place in the world are all bad.

clutter 09-26-2012 12:44 PM

NExt time, leave your husband home. :rotfl2:

Marsheliz 09-26-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clutter (Post 46274056)
NExt time, leave your husband home. :rotfl2:


HAHA I love it. I just might.

Marsheliz 09-26-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigger1966 (Post 46274052)
My last two trips with my teenage son were horrible. They pretty much sucked the magic out of Disney for me for a while. It's terrible when your most recent memories of your favorite place in the world are all bad.


You are right. I feel like it was sucked right out. Couldnt have picked a better word. :)

Marsheliz 09-26-2012 01:09 PM

This was my husband and my 5th time going so its not like it was the first but it definitely wasn't the best.

I think you all are right too- We both are just tired and I think dealing with my mom was just too much for him. Yes, it was hard taking care of my mom plus two kids but you just do what you got to do.. This will probably be the last vacation my mom will ever take. She is basically dying so it was hard the whole time, everytime I looked at her, how tired, weak and frail she is right now. We do have some happy memories and one day we will look back and laugh....

Does anyone know anything about the Splash Mountain pic I previously asked about??

kamik86 09-26-2012 01:16 PM

It seemed most of the problems were due to being unorganized. I know when I travel I have to have everything super organized because DH doesn't do well with things changing and then he gets cranky and the day starts to suck. Leaving stuff on the planes/airports and the room not being big enough (moving at 1AM was a choice disney even made it extra special by giving a free upgrade when you made that choice!)

I can also understand your DH not enjoying the trip because he was dealing with your mom. It sounds like the trip was more for your kids and your mom, and to an extent you because you wanted to make sure they had the time together, but for him it was just added stress on what should have been his vacation. My DH felt similar when we brought my mom and she found she couldn't handle the walking. DH ended up pushing her most of the time and he hated it. I can really understand this.

Next time you go on a trip make sure to leave time for your DH to do the things he wants to do. That may mean hiring a sitter for a night.

TigerMickey 09-26-2012 01:19 PM

Depressing thread is depressing. I'm very sorry #1 that your mother has cancer. Second, that your husband cant see the brighter side to things, and third that you felt like your trip was ruined. It was not. You will look back and laugh one day about all the BS that you went through. I promise.

Marsheliz 09-26-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamik86 (Post 46274394)
It seemed most of the problems were due to being unorganized. I know when I travel I have to have everything super organized because DH doesn't do well with things changing and then he gets cranky and the day starts to suck. Leaving stuff on the planes/airports and the room not being big enough (moving at 1AM was a choice disney even made it extra special by giving a free upgrade when you made that choice!)

I can also understand your DH not enjoying the trip because he was dealing with your mom. It sounds like the trip was more for your kids and your mom, and to an extent you because you wanted to make sure they had the time together, but for him it was just added stress on what should have been his vacation. My DH felt similar when we brought my mom and she found she couldn't handle the walking. DH ended up pushing her most of the time and he hated it. I can really understand this.

Next time you go on a trip make sure to leave time for your DH to do the things he wants to do. That may mean hiring a sitter for a night.



Yes, maybe you are right. I just had no idea the room would be that tight- totally will never do that again. I hate he didnt have fun. It makes me feel terrible. I just had no clue it would be that way and I am such an organized OCD fanatic. I wish I would have just taken the kids myself. I just wanted this time for my mom to enjoy with her grandkids because chances are she wont be here next year.

Marsheliz 09-26-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerMickey (Post 46274433)
Depressing thread is depressing. I'm very sorry #1 that your mother has cancer. Second, that your husband cant see the brighter side to things, and third that you felt like your trip was ruined. It was not. You will look back and laugh one day about all the BS that you went through. I promise.

Thanks. Maybe 2014 will be better :) pixiedust:

tkd27 09-26-2012 01:53 PM

I sympathize. My advice would be to focus on what went well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsheliz (Post 46273009)
Yes, there were some hiccups along the way but all in all, my kids had a great time as they do not have stress obviously.

...and there it is. :thumbsup2 If the kids had fun, try and forget about the bad stuff that happened and know that you gave them a wonderful trip that they will remember forever. Could it have gone better for you? Yes, but you can't change that now. So there's always what went right to think about.

As to the Splash Mountain thing, I don't think there's anything you can do about that. It could be worse: on my trip to Universal last year I got so caught up in the moment that I bought a picture of me with Spider-Man (I'm a comics geek) with a comic book cover effect. In hindsight, it's single stupidest thing I spent money, and every time I look at the picture, all I can think about is how much I regret that stupid purchase, lol :lmao:

Also, since misery loves company - our trip to WDW and Universal was the first time that my wife or I ever went, though we'd both been dreaming about it since we were both kids. Then four months before the trip (it was already booked and we as excited as could be) my wife became pregnant. So on our trip, she was four months pregnant, couldn't keep food down and had a hard time with all the walking. I had a great time, but she was miserable and hated the whole thing. Remember - this was the trip she'd been dreaming over for decades. So it really can always be worse :goodvibes

princessbride6205 09-26-2012 01:58 PM

Sorry you had a less than magical trip. We've had ones that had a lot less magic, but never had zero fun.

As for the Splash Mountain photo, I believe they delete the ride photos at the end of each day. Was it able to be added to your PhotoPass? I can't remember off the top of my head if all the rides now have that option.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.