The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   California & the West (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Visiting San Diego... (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2997343)

WDW Obsessed 09-23-2012 09:23 PM

Visiting San Diego...

Going to Sand Diego for a conference at the end of next month. I plan to hit up Disney for a day, but what is there to do IN Sand Diego that time of year??

Background:
(33yo male)

I like scotch, whiskey, beer, steak, potatoes, cigars, and laying in the sun. LOL I'm also a fan of rock/metal and don't mind paying a cover to get into places. What's up my alley out there?

Tips, tricks, advice always welcome! TIA.

Zerosinthecloset 09-24-2012 02:01 AM

Gaslamp District.

WDW Obsessed 09-24-2012 08:09 AM

Thanks. Forgot to mention I LOVE sports!! ;)

Zerosinthecloset 09-24-2012 02:37 PM

Check the Chargers schedule. Easy to get to the stadium via trolley.

WDW Obsessed 09-24-2012 03:14 PM

It's a bye week for them.....too bad 'cause I know one of the defensive line men. :(

Zerosinthecloset 09-24-2012 06:17 PM

Well then, you're going to have to make a tour of the Gaslamp District. Plenty of nightlife and lots of good happy hours for the suave, debonair, man about town. Early morning means a stop at Brian's 24...open 24 hours and the place to end the night after the bars close. We're usually there around 6 to 7 in the morning...no we haven't stayed up all night...on our way to the airport.

lcasa 09-25-2012 12:32 AM

Humphrey's at the Bay is good for concerts and there's a House of Blues - plus there are lots of other venues - I've gone down from OC a number of times for shows since they tend to sell out less quickly than LA shows. Look at ticketmaster for your dates - and also at ticketweb, which is more for smaller up-and-coming acts ( not sure how far south they cover though --but i know they do list venues not too far from DL)

Gaslamp is indeed a good place to start searching for good bars and night life.

WDW Obsessed 09-25-2012 09:01 AM

Yeah the gaslight looks like my kind of area. I am actually staying at the Horton which is perfect!! After looking around I'm defiantly gonna hit up a few places...looked in the Tipsy Crow and one of the Irish pubs! I plan to hit up Donovan's as well. :)

WDW Obsessed 09-26-2012 08:58 AM

How's the Whiskey Girl? Seems like a cool place to hit up!

WDW Obsessed 09-26-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerosinthecloset (Post 46257243)
Well then, you're going to have to make a tour of the Gaslamp District. Plenty of nightlife and lots of good happy hours for the suave, debonair, man about town. Early morning means a stop at Brian's 24...open 24 hours and the place to end the night after the bars close. We're usually there around 6 to 7 in the morning...no we haven't stayed up all night...on our way to the airport.

Looks good, especially the eggs and porterhouse!!!!

On another note.....is there a food challenge out there? I can mow a few pizzas or steaks if need be. LOL

Zerosinthecloset 09-26-2012 03:48 PM

The Broken Yolk...there's one in the Gaslamp on 6th...has a 12 egg omelet stuffed with god knows what, smothered in their chile, crap load of potatoes and two giant biscuits. Free if you finish it.

WDW Obsessed 09-27-2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerosinthecloset (Post 46276041)
The Broken Yolk...there's one in the Gaslamp on 6th...has a 12 egg omelet stuffed with god knows what, smothered in their chile, crap load of potatoes and two giant biscuits. Free if you finish it.

I'm not a big egg fan, so I'll have to pass on that one. I was hoping for Pizza, steak, or hot wings. :)

Zerosinthecloset 09-27-2012 08:23 AM

Not sure if they have any challenges, but for sheer quantity of food, Hash House a Go Go lays out quite a spread. Not in the Gaslamp, but in Hillcrest, just a short car/bus ride away.

WDW Obsessed 09-27-2012 09:39 AM

Thanks. Good stuff to know. :)

WDW Obsessed 10-02-2012 01:58 PM

Quick question....what are the temps like out there mid to late Oct.?? What kinda business casual clothes should I be wearing?? I plan on suit during the day, and khakis & dress shirt for evenings.....too dressy or what?