The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   UK Trip Planning Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Gatorland and Space Centre (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2996872)

MichelinMan 09-23-2012 04:37 AM

Gatorland and Space Centre

I am deliberating where to go on one day for our trip next year. We have never done the Space Centre or Gatorland before, and both appeal to me.

I would really love the Space Centre, as I have always been interested in space, but I have read reviews that younger kids might be bored there (my son is 8). I'm not sure whether the wife would like it either. I've done the Johnson Space Centre in Houston before, so it may well be a bit similar.

An alternative would be Gatorland - for some reason, that has always appealed to me (and we could chill out a bit more that day too - always a good thing).

Having never done either, what are peoples views of both attractions?

pascalstongue 09-23-2012 04:48 AM

I love both. Gatorland is only a 1/2 day attraction IMO so when we go we tie it in with an afternoon shopping. There are a couple of shows and the gator feeding is quite fun. There are a few other animals there beside gators.
KSC is really interesting. My family is quite interested in space though (we have proper telescopes and everything). I am always amazed at how big the shuttle is, I think your 8 year old would be impressed. Thay have an Imax cinema with shows throughout the day.
Both days out are really different, only you know what you think your family would enjoy.
Both are well worth trying either on this trip or a subsequent trip!

madmumof2 09-23-2012 07:02 AM

I've only been to KSC as a 10 year old and was interested for about half an hour. There's not much to do for a kid. It's like a museum and I know my kids would be bored going to a museum but some would love it so it depends if yours would enjoy a regular museum.

If they would they should enjoy it. My son loves space but I know he'd be bored to tears at KSC so even though we're at cocoa beach (right next to it) this year we won't be visiting.

Laurafoster 09-23-2012 07:20 AM

KSC has got more for kids than it used too. It is essentially a museum but there are a few other bits now.

2 3D IMAX shows
One interactive theatre type show
The shuttle launch experience

You also get entrance into the astronaut hall of fame included in the price I believe.

Due to the cancellation of the shuttle programme there are a few tours going on at the moment (extra to the entrance price) that are only running until they start doing launches again. We went on a behind the scenes tour that took us inside the vehicle assembly building and right up to the launch pad.

Their website is quite useful and gives suggested touring plans based on how long you wish to spend there and what age groups you have.

chmurf 09-23-2012 07:51 AM

gatorland = fun for the younger ones

KSC is more geared towards teens, adults and young adults.
The younger ones will be fine with the rocket garden and some exhibits, but they might get bored fast.

With a 8yr old, go to KSC if he's into space, astronomy and that kind of stuff. Remember that there'll be at least 1 hour drive each way on top of everything else.
So unless your son can name all the parts in a rocket engine, gatorland is a safe bet.

You could also consider doing Wonderworks on international drive

steve_rob 09-23-2012 09:21 AM

I've been to both KSC and Houston (but then, I'm a total space nut!) and there was a lot more for kids to do in Houston, whereas the KSC was all based around taking the tours and the IMAX movies, with just a few other attractions thrown in. Don't get me wrong, I loved KSC and it filled a whole day for me, but if your kids aren't wired like me, they might find it a little boring.

Gatorland will probably keep them occupied for half a day, but as it's a lot closer, that's not a bad thing. You can always go and play mini-golf or something afterwards (another of my favourite things to while away a couple of hours!)

MichelinMan 09-23-2012 03:03 PM

Thanks for the replies - probably confirmed what I was thinking. The whole family will probably enjoy Gatorland better, and we can have some down time too, like relaxing by the pool the rest of the day.