The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Coronado Springs or Port Orleans Riverside (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2996085)

Momofonelittlemickey 09-21-2012 11:28 AM

Coronado Springs or Port Orleans Riverside
 
This summer we will be returning to the moderate resorts with our 4 year old son.
Last year we spoiled ourselves @ the Poly- fingers crossed there is an amazing discount, and we get to go back.

Until then, I need to make a decision on a moderate- CS or POR.

We've never stayed at either- Which does your family prefer?
Also, anyone know if Pepper Market is considered a Quick Service or a Table Service?

I think I may like the atmosphere of CS, more--- but I'd love other opinions!!

party-of-five 09-21-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momofonelittlemickey (Post 46225548)
This summer we will be returning to the moderate resorts with our 4 year old son.
Last year we spoiled ourselves @ the Poly- fingers crossed there is an amazing discount, and we get to go back.

Until then, I need to make a decision on a moderate- CS or POR.

We've never stayed at either- Which does your family prefer?
Also, anyone know if Pepper Market is considered a Quick Service or a Table Service?

I think I may like the atmosphere of CS, more--- but I'd love other opinions!!


We stayed at CSR in Dec 2010 and are headed back this Dec. My son was 4 when we last went and he really enjoyed it there. We all did. I was torn between CSR and POR for this trip. I really wanted to try something new, but really enjoyed our CSR stay. DH wanted to return to CSR, so I'll have to wait for another trip to give it a try. If I stay at POR I would want to stay in the MB section and that can't be guaranteed, and I wouldn't want a princess room.

Check out the CSR thread, they have lots of beautiful pics and information.

JohnO 09-21-2012 01:14 PM

I've stayed at both, and both were great. Both food courts are good. And yes Pepper market is QS.

Both resorts are beautiful. POR has the advantage of the river and location. CSR has nicer rooms. Although POR now has queen beds as well. CSR has a nicer pool.

In my opinion, both are worth staying at. I like them both for different reasons. Quite frankly I don't know which one I like more.

buzznina 09-21-2012 02:06 PM

Stayed at both a number of times and really like both resorts, and for us POR edges out CSR because it has more family activities for when we have our resort days. They have boat and searacer rentals, our DD's love it when we rent a surrey bike, Yeehaa Bob puts on a great kid friendly family show and it has just finished being refurbed. But like I first mention both are great resorts and we are happy at either one.

Momofonelittlemickey 09-21-2012 03:11 PM

Do you feel like one has particularly better bus service than the other?

Diz Kids 09-21-2012 03:43 PM

We love both resorts. In my opinion, the grounds of POR are nicer- I prefer the green grass over the browner landscape at CSR. I also prefer the food court at POR. As the pp said, they also have great activities and entertainment at POR if you plan on resort days.

CSR wins out for me on the rooms, but only by a little, and we have only ever been in the AB rooms at POR. I also like the main pool better at CSR.

As far as busses go I would say CSR hands down. There was nothing wrong with POR busses, but at CSR the buses were always much less crowded. I am assuming this is because it is a convention resort, and I have visited repeatedly during value seasons, so this may not always be the case.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either resort!

elaw 09-21-2012 03:50 PM

They are both great resorts so I think it really all boils down to theming prefernce. CSR has a Southwest/Mexican/Spanish architectural theming and POR has a sort of Plantation/Bayou feel (depending on your choice Mansions or AB). I would suggest choosing the one that is more appealing to you. I personally prefer POR but IMHO, You cant go wrong either way. :confused3

shenaniganzz 09-21-2012 05:42 PM

We much preferred CSR (stayed there last year and stayed at POR this year).

The Pepper Market was much better than Riverside Mill, IMO. Apparently the beds are the same at both resorts but my husband and I had a terrible time with the beds at POR and not at CSR. :confused3

The management staff at POR was less than stellar though everyone else was pretty nice. We never had any problems at CSR so it's hard for me to compare.

Bus service was great at CSR and awful at POR. Now, I would normally say perhaps the crowds were worse this year but the parks were not as busy this year (same time frame exactly) and neither were the restaurants. At one point we were waiting at a bus stop and a couple of full MK buses went buy. A staff member who was monitoring the buses said he was trying to get us a bus.. then he disappeared before people got annoyed. We ended up taking several cabs to make a few ADRs.

It also seemed to me that bus stops were not as close and convenient at POR as they were at CSR.

The grounds are beautiful at both places... we liked them equally.

The boat to DTD was a really nice convenience, but it wouldn't be the reason I would stay there again.

If I had to go mod again, I would go CSR or maybe try POFQ but I doubt I would stay at POR again.

elaw 09-21-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shenaniganzz (Post 46228835)
We much preferred CSR (stayed there last year and stayed at POR this year).

The Pepper Market was much better than Riverside Mill, IMO. Apparently the beds are the same at both resorts but my husband and I had a terrible time with the beds at POR and not at CSR. :confused3

The management staff at POR was less than stellar though everyone else was pretty nice. We never had any problems at CSR so it's hard for me to compare.

Bus service was great at CSR and awful at POR. Now, I would normally say perhaps the crowds were worse this year but the parks were not as busy this year (same time frame exactly) and neither were the restaurants. At one point we were waiting at a bus stop and a couple of full MK buses went buy. A staff member who was monitoring the buses said he was trying to get us a bus.. then he disappeared before people got annoyed. We ended up taking several cabs to make a few ADRs.

It also seemed to me that bus stops were not as close and convenient at POR as they were at CSR.

The grounds are beautiful at both places... we liked them equally.

The boat to DTD was a really nice convenience, but it wouldn't be the reason I would stay there again.

If I had to go mod again, I would go CSR or maybe try POFQ but I doubt I would stay at POR again.

For What it's worth (for the OP) This was not my experience at all.
Bus stops are usually only as close and convenient as the building you are assigned ... so this can vary greatly at almost every moderate resort. We had great bus service at POR and less than great at CSR (we had to wait 45 minutes for a bus to Typhoon Lagoon at CSR one day). I don't consider the bus service at CSR bad because of it ... things happen ... i'm on vacation at WDW after all :goodvibes
I personally didn't care for the Pepper Market ... in addition to the food being just OK, I had to wait quite a long time to get drink refills because they have wait staff for beverages ... you can't just get it yourself like at POR. POR was very recently refurbed and the rooms were really nice. I still think it all comes down to theming because everyone will have a slightly different experience at the same resort.

*Fantasia* 09-21-2012 07:26 PM

I hope you get a great discount on Polynesian because it is a great resort! Whichever moderate resort appeals to you the most you should go with. They are pretty much all comparable, except the theme. Both CSR and POR has bus service and both have themed pools and quiet pools, they both have food court, both have queen beds. POR has the boat ride to DTD and you can use POFQ amenities. I personally would prefer to stay at POFQ/POR. I like the boat ride to DTD and I can swim at both resorts and eat at both food courts.

buzznina 09-21-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momofonelittlemickey (Post 46227593)
Do you feel like one has particularly better bus service than the other?

We have had waits at both resorts but on the whole I would have to give the edge to CSR for buses.

goofyintoronto 09-21-2012 09:09 PM

Ive stayed at both and quite honest theyre both gorgeous resorts. CSR has by far the best bus service i ever experienced. We didnt wait for more than 5 min for any bus. No joke.

I like the pool and food court A LOT better at POR. Esp the food court. The bfast QS buffet at Pepper Market is pretty good. But otherwise i prefer POR.

I also like the fact that you have bike rentals at POR and a boat to DTD. Last but not least i think the grounds are prettier at POR. so beautiful.

Both are great thou! Cant go wrong with either.

In CSR we stayed in cabanas 8a and it was the best area. Right across the pool and bus stop. loved it. Loved getting my mug refill and QS at the pool.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using DISBoards App

JAMIESMITH 11-28-2012 01:22 PM

Good luck on getting a discount for the Poly! We stayed there with free dining in September and LOVED it! I believe that even with a discount we will probably have to stay at POFQ or CSR next time.

Cindie-rella 11-29-2012 01:29 AM

Never stayed at CSR but have stayed to POR Alligator Bayou rooms both times. Went to CSR to check it out one day and though it was very nice it didn't seem to have quite the relaxing, cozy feel we love so much about POR. And, the day we visited CSR there was a convention taking place. PPL dressed in business attire standing all around the outside of PM drinking and smoking. Not to mention ppl in business attire sitting all around the main pool doing the same. Just didn't feel right to us. kinda took away that Disney Resort feel to me. I know so many will disagree with me but I'm just posting my opinion. I do really enjoy the amenities at POR. We always rent pontoons and surrey's and love the boat to DTD. They have fishing excursions for everyone and even nightly movies outside one of the mansions and I believe they still do stories and smores some evenings. Food is good there. Just relly disappointed that they took away breakfast at Boatwrights ! Was really good, loved their omeletes !:mad: Great quiet pools too, esp in the AB section. Very relaxing. Just a very beautiful resort. Check out pics of resorts at debsallears.net Might help in your decision. Good Luck !

maxiesmom 11-29-2012 05:33 AM

I've stayed at both resorts, and both are great. You can't make a bad choice! In fact, we are thinking about booking another trip and trying to decide between the two of them.:)

CSR does have a fitness center if that is important to you. Plus they have the doors that close off the sink area from the rest of the room. That helps some people to get ready without totally annoying those who are trying to sleep in.

POR has the boats to DTD, which are a much better way of getting to DTD than the buses. And they have the bike/boat rentals year round.

Both resorts have pluses.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.