The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disneyland (California) (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What are your favorites at Napa Rose? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2995546)

DaveinFallsChurch 09-20-2012 09:03 AM

What are your favorites at Napa Rose?
 
I will be trying Napa Rose for the first time for my trip in October and would like to hear some recommendations and suggestions on what to order. What are your favorite dishes at Napa Rose?

Also, the only menu I could find online for NR was one from allears.net which was dated Janurary 2012. Is this menu still accurate?

Jacchus 09-20-2012 09:44 AM

The scallop appetizer was to die for. It's a giant, seared scallop served in an obscene lobster/butter sauce (about a quarter pound of butter went into that sauce, mmm). Do not miss it.

DaveinFallsChurch 09-20-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacchus (Post 46215019)
The scallop appetizer was to die for. It's a giant, seared scallop served in an obscene lobster/butter sauce (about a quarter pound of butter went into that sauce, mmm). Do not miss it.

Thank you! I was eyeing that one on the menu but now am sure going to order it for my appetizer! Any entrees you would strongly recommend?

sierranevada 09-20-2012 12:03 PM

I HEART the scallops!! In fact, I usually ask them to make a larger portion as my dinner entree!!

Other great ones are the Smiling Tiger Salad, Sizzling Beach Rock, Truffled Mac n Cheese, Filet (soooo tender!) and for dessert, Chocolate Pate!

Enjoy - it is one of my favorite restaurants!

mom2aidanNpiper 09-20-2012 12:46 PM

We did Napa Rose a couple weeks ago and loved everything we got!

For appetizers we shared the scallops (so good!) And the salmon carpaccio (spelling?) which was also good. My DH had the steak (which he said was amazing) and I had the catch of the day. We as also split the truffled Mac n cheese (yummy!). We split 2 desserts and got the smores dessert and also the chocolate bundt cake with popcorn ice cream (unusual but really good).

Have fun! With everything we ordered plus a glass of wine and coffee each we spent $300!! So worth it though. Not sure we can ever do DL again and not do.Napa Rose now:) one more thing to factor into the budget!

Congo Queen 09-20-2012 01:40 PM

Oh you lucky people with upcoming plans to dine at Napa Rose. The menu is seasonal and does change, but there are some signature items they always have b/c people love those dishes so much. Right now you can see a Napa Rose menu from July 2012 (more recent than January) right here on the disboards site. Pull down the Dining menu on the tool bar above and search for Napa Rose. I've never had any dish that was a bad one at Napa Rose. Among the signature dishes that should be offered whenever you go are the mushroom bisque soup (heavenly) and the delicious tempura lobster and spicy beef salad (I think it used to be called Smiling Tiger or something like that.) They also have a couple large combo appetizer plates that are designed as items to share, and these are excellent as you get to try many different things. The wine list is also v good. Don't hesitate to ask your server for a recommendation as they are very knowledgeable and user-friendly in that regard - no matter your level of wine expertise. Have a great meal!

DaveinFallsChurch 09-20-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sierranevada (Post 46216468)
I HEART the scallops!! In fact, I usually ask them to make a larger portion as my dinner entree!!

Other great ones are the Smiling Tiger Salad, Sizzling Beach Rock, Truffled Mac n Cheese, Filet (soooo tender!) and for dessert, Chocolate Pate!

Enjoy - it is one of my favorite restaurants!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2aidanNpiper (Post 46216901)
We did Napa Rose a couple weeks ago and loved everything we got!

For appetizers we shared the scallops (so good!) And the salmon carpaccio (spelling?) which was also good. My DH had the steak (which he said was amazing) and I had the catch of the day. We as also split the truffled Mac n cheese (yummy!). We split 2 desserts and got the smores dessert and also the chocolate bundt cake with popcorn ice cream (unusual but really good).

Have fun! With everything we ordered plus a glass of wine and coffee each we spent $300!! So worth it though. Not sure we can ever do DL again and not do.Napa Rose now:) one more thing to factor into the budget!

Thanks for your suggestions! The downside of traveling solo - I won't be able to sample as many dishes as I would like ;)

It sounds like the scallops, steak/filet, and truffled mac n cheese are coming up on everyone's list - that may be the course of meals I will end up having! If I don't have room for dessert, I'll ask for it to go! :thumbsup2

DaveinFallsChurch 09-20-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Congo Queen (Post 46217521)
Oh you lucky people with upcoming plans to dine at Napa Rose. The menu is seasonal and does change, but there are some signature items they always have b/c people love those dishes so much. Right now you can see a Napa Rose menu from July 2012 (more recent than January) right here on the disboards site. Pull down the Dining menu on the tool bar above and search for Napa Rose. I've never had any dish that was a bad one at Napa Rose. Among the signature dishes that should be offered whenever you go are the mushroom bisque soup (heavenly) and the delicious tempura lobster and spicy beef salad (I think it used to be called Smiling Tiger or something like that.) They also have a couple large combo appetizer plates that are designed as items to share, and these are excellent as you get to try many different things. The wine list is also v good. Don't hesitate to ask your server for a recommendation as they are very knowledgeable and user-friendly in that regard - no matter your level of wine expertise. Have a great meal!

Thank you so much! Found the menu! :thumbsup2

Would it be too much food for myself if I ordered both the scallop and the mushroom bisque before eating my entree? :lmao: Decisions, decisions.

ArchOwl 09-20-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch (Post 46217565)
Thanks for your suggestions! The downside of traveling solo - I won't be able to sample as many dishes as I would like ;)

It sounds like the scallops, steak/filet, and truffled mac n cheese are coming up on everyone's list - that may be the course of meals I will end up having! If I don't have room for dessert, I'll ask for it to go! :thumbsup2

If you are traveling solo, you might want to check out the Chef's Counter at Napa Rose. You take a seat at a large bar overlooking the kitchen and can converse with the chefs, etc. If you eat at the Counter, you have the option of a tasting menu created especially for you by chefs, based on your likes and dislikes. It is the same price as the Vintner's tasting menu, but you get five courses. You can also order off the regular menu at the Counter, if that is what you decide.

If you want to sit at the Counter, you must call the restaurant directly to make the reservation. Have fun! :goodvibes

ETA: here is a thread with lots of pictures from the Counter http://www.disboards.com/showthread....chef+s+counter

Jacchus 09-20-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch (Post 46216192)
Thank you! I was eyeing that one on the menu but now am sure going to order it for my appetizer! Any entrees you would strongly recommend?

You will love it!

My "date" and I did the chef's counter and went with their recommendations. I was given the lamb entree, and he got the filet mignon. They were both fine. I think he had the better entree, but mine was paired with the Lasseter wine, and that was such a cool Disney touch.

DLovinFam 09-20-2012 04:39 PM

Dh and I are going to eat there for the first time in Feb. My mouth is watering!

DaveinFallsChurch 09-20-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArchOwl (Post 46217662)
If you are traveling solo, you might want to check out the Chef's Counter at Napa Rose. You take a seat at a large bar overlooking the kitchen and can converse with the chefs, etc. If you eat at the Counter, you have the option of a tasting menu created especially for you by chefs, based on your likes and dislikes. It is the same price as the Vintner's tasting menu, but you get five courses. You can also order off the regular menu at the Counter, if that is what you decide.

If you want to sit at the Counter, you must call the restaurant directly to make the reservation. Have fun! :goodvibes

ETA: here is a thread with lots of pictures from the Counter http://www.disboards.com/showthread....chef+s+counter

This looks very interesting! Now I'm torn. :goodvibes

Do I go for something off the regular menu or for the tasting menu? For a first timers initiation to NR, does one work better than the other?

DaveinFallsChurch 09-20-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacchus (Post 46218948)
You will love it!

My "date" and I did the chef's counter and went with their recommendations. I was given the lamb entree, and he got the filet mignon. They were both fine. I think he had the better entree, but mine was paired with the Lasseter wine, and that was such a cool Disney touch.

I saw pics of the Lasseter wine bottle. What kind of wine is it?

DaveinFallsChurch 09-20-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLovinFam (Post 46219111)
Dh and I are going to eat there for the first time in Feb. My mouth is watering!

I know, all this talk of Napa Rose is getting me very hungry! ;)
I'll be trying my best to take a lot of pictures for my first visit as well.

sierranevada 09-20-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch (Post 46220053)
This looks very interesting! Now I'm torn. :goodvibes

Do I go for something off the regular menu or for the tasting menu? For a first timers initiation to NR, does one work better than the other?

I agree with ArchOwl - go for the chef's counter especially since you are traveling solo. You will have lots of interaction with the chef and sommelier. If you tell them the dishes you have heard great things about - you will probably get some of them for your tasting menu. We did the chef's counter in July and were blown away! We were with another couple who have eaten at the top restaurants around the world and they were very impressed with the food!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.