The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   disABILITIES! (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Any long tunnels or bridges from Atlanta to Orlando (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2994874)

adoptivemomx2 09-18-2012 07:51 PM

Any long tunnels or bridges from Atlanta to Orlando

I deal with a few phobias and am trying to picture the drive down I-75 from Atlanta to Orlando. I am fine on short bridges and underpasses---the long ones, however give me some problems.

BRIDGES: Shot ones that go over rivers are okay. Long ones over lakes will give me trouble. Really high bridges give me trouble, too.

TUNNELS: Underpases are fine, but long tunnels, especially when I can't see the end are pretty tough.

Does anyone know what I will be facing on the way down? I'll be taking I-75 all the way down. Thanks!

SueM in MN 09-18-2012 08:28 PM

Are you members of AAA?
If so, they might be able to help you.

You might also be able to figure out by using a satellite map on the Internet and look at each leg of your trip.

Good luck:thumbsup2

Belle & Ariel 09-18-2012 08:38 PM

I cannot think of any long bridges and there are no tunnels unless you count the short one in downtown Atlanta about mm 255.
Enjoy your trip!

smidgy 09-19-2012 01:50 AM

there is a bridge (probably the one the PP mentioned) in the southeren end of ATlanta on 75. not too long, but gets a little dark. why not take the bypass?

we come from the chicago area. once we went further east than needed, to drive along the coast, and stop for a night in ST Aug. Beach. if you ever take 95 south, and take the bypass east of the city, there is a bridge that looked to us like it was going straight up!!. once we got to it, it wasn't , of course, but I did not like it at all!

I feel for you. hubby always drives. if I had to drive on the bridge over the Ohio River (esp. the bridge into Louisville ky) I think I would panic.

FullOfPixieDust 09-20-2012 11:22 AM

I live just north of Atlanta and make the drive to WDW about every three months. Like the PPs said, there is a very short "tunnel" - actually, a dark bridge you drive under (you're going under a building but you stay at road height, you don't actually dip down into tunnel) in Atlanta. You could bypass that by taking 285 instead of the I-75/I-85 connector (though you would have to drive over the Chattahoochee River once or twice that way).

Otherwise, there are a handful of small bridges (reinforced roadway over a river) that you'll drive over but nothing overly big.

**If you choose to take 285 instead of the 75/85 Connector, make sure you go 285 WEST. If you take 285 East around Atlanta, you'll end up in a large bridge interchange.

Good luck! ;)

Just_Trish 09-22-2012 12:52 PM

Having lived in ATL all my life, I am one of those who feels taking 285 is a pain and actually can take a little longer. I try to avoid it when possible - too many big trucks! I prefer to drive straight through down 75 south.

There are no bridges or tunnels once you are past the city of ATL. Only the very short ones inside the city limits.