The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Transportation (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Are they kidding me ? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2990221)

grumpydad 09-10-2012 07:33 AM

Are they kidding me ?

Looking for flights to MCO from either JFK/LGA or ISP. for presidents week.

I've checked SW, Airtran and Jetblue, nothing less then 2000.00 for 4:furious:

Guess I'll be driving this year :confused3

shoney 09-10-2012 07:59 AM

I was in that same situation last year.

We decided to pull the kids out on Wednesday, Thurs. and Friday before the week off. We were able to get round trip tix for 190.00 each...Delta on the way down and Jet Blue back (JFK). (by going down that day, we were able to get free dining as well)

Try using www.kayak.com

If you can leave a day or two early, flights do drop, but this isn't an option for everyone!

Good Luck!

XQIXX 09-10-2012 08:01 AM

It is insane what they are charging. I checked for April school week from Rhode Island to MCO on Jet Blue and they want $3560 for 4 round trip:rotfl:

SW is not out that far yet but the last 5 years have been the same pricing. I have driven from RI to Hartfort CT and Newark NJ because the flights from there were 75% less from there. I did a park/stay/fly out of Newark for $106 and saved $2300 by doing this! I miss the $99 fares. I know the airlines need to make a profit but charging 4 to 5 times teh cost for school vacation weeks is criminal.:mad:

grumpydad 09-10-2012 08:48 AM

Unfortuneatly I can't take them out early

Checked out of PHL, found 850.00 for 4

great deal right :cool1:

BUT DW says she does not want to do it, to much stress.

I quess driving 20 hours isn't :confused3

kaytieeldr 09-10-2012 09:16 AM

What about her flying out of the expensive airport, and the rest of you flying out of the smart one ;).

DVCismyhappyplace 09-10-2012 10:28 AM

I'd book them now on Southwest and then compulsively check to see if the price goes lower! I do that all the time.

nilseks 09-10-2012 10:31 AM

Flight prices are just insane right now. After tons of stalking, I have found the only way to really get anything decent is to book SW on the day the flights are released. I got lucky for our December trip but for a cruise trip in November...not so much.

Hope you find something you can live with!

dburg30 09-10-2012 10:50 AM

Everyone is still price drunk on the insane cheap prices we had a few years ago. The airlines have really tightened their belts and just dont have that many empty seats on flights. If I flight isnt performing, they seem to be just pulling the plug on that flight and moving it where they can make money.

I saw where southwest had like a $69 fare a few weeks back, and I have no clue what cities they were for, but I never found any cheap routes lol..

aubriee 09-10-2012 12:08 PM

Keep looking. I go to WDW 4-6 times a year, so it seems like I'm checking daily for cheap airfare for one trip or another. For our upcoming Oct/Nov trip, airfare was staying around the $400.00/person mark.:faint: No way were we paying that. We decided that for the first time ever, we were driving. However, I still kept checking airline fares everyday, because I still want to fly down there in early May and because I really did not want to drive for the Oct/Nov trip unless we absolutely had to. I work night shift, so usually check fares several times a day and night. One night, right after midnight, Delta dropped their fares to $198.70.:cool1: The flights had a layover, which I hate, but for that price, I still grabbed them. Two days later they went up to $348.00, then a few days later back up to just over $400.00. I just checked and they are back down to around $350.00. I'm still checking daily for my May trip, but am trying to be patient.

stitchlovestink 09-10-2012 12:24 PM

I know what you mean about missing the cheap flights!!! I remember buying $34 seats on SW in 2007 like 2 weeks before flying!! Those were the days!!
I'm finding now you just have to be patient and flexible. I did snag our tix to FL for $73ea incl tx. We didn't get a nonstop but we did get a direct and don't have to deplane and it only increased our travel time by a little under an hour. I'm going to have to live with that! To save over $100 a ticket, yup we have to suck it up!! Coming home, we had to cut our trip a day short and come home the last flight on fri instead of Sat but at $130 vs $200+, I really was okay with it. It's not like it's a once in a lifetime trip. I'm sure I'll be beat and in tons of pain anyway!!! So we were able to keep it to $200 R/T pp.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

stitchlovestink 09-10-2012 12:25 PM

I know what you mean about missing the cheap flights!!! I remember buying $34 seats on SW in 2007 like 2 weeks before flying!! Those were the days!!
I'm finding now you just have to be patient and flexible. I did snag our tix to FL for $73ea incl tx. We didn't get a nonstop but we did get a direct and don't have to deplane and it only increased our travel time by a little under an hour. I'm going to have to live with that! To save over $100 a ticket, yup we have to suck it up!! Coming home, we had to cut our trip a day short and come home the last flight on fri instead of Sat but at $130 vs $200+, I really was okay with it. It's not like it's a once in a lifetime trip. I'm sure I'll be beat and in tons of pain anyway!!! So we were able to keep it to $200 R/T pp.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

Flight 09-10-2012 04:19 PM

How about checking direct flight out of Newark (EWR). It adds Continental/United Airlines to your list of possibilities.

phillymummer 09-10-2012 08:14 PM

If Philly is out of the question, then I get Atlantic City is not an option either? AC tends to be even cheaper than Philly. Maybe if you found an awesome fare, you could change her mind?

kerplop 09-10-2012 08:26 PM

We ended up paying about $1,000 for three seats. It was painful to click that purchase button. :crazy2:

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina 09-11-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerplop (Post 46116177)
We ended up paying about $1,000 for three seats. It was painful to click that purchase button. :crazy2:

We paid $1125 for three seats for Christmas week (December 23 - 30th) out of Buffalo, NY. And we still have baggage fees to add in one way, as we are flying Airtran down and Jetblue back.

Our August flights, in comparison, were $868 out of Syracuse, NY. Syracuse for our Christmas dates was over $1500 :scared1: .