The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Concierge Tipping (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2989753)

calker 09-09-2012 10:13 AM

Concierge Tipping

Guest services suggested $50.00 per day per person in the suite.

SHOULD READ:
Guest services suggested $50.00 per 7 day cruise per person in the suite.

Does this sound appropriate? It seems a little low to us.

Please see post 34 for clarification and apology.

WinstonC 09-09-2012 10:33 AM

Do you mean tipping of the Concierge staff? If so, there was a poll on here not too long ago that asked about the same topic. If I remember correctly, no single option dominated, i.e. lots of diverse opinions.

I'd look at it the same way that I look at staying on a concierge or club level at a hotel or resort. If any one member of the staff (or the staff as a whole) were to go above and beyond to fulfill a request, make my stay extra special, or deal with a problem or situation, I'd definitely tip them accordingly. Otherwise, I consider their basic services to be included with my fare or room rate.

I will say that (assuming good service) I plan to tip our room steward at least twice the normal amount. I definitely don't feel like he/she should receive the same amount for taking care of a cat R as someone who services a cat 11.

luv2sleep 09-09-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calker

So that would be $62/person/day for just tips (if you include the MDR and stateroom host tips). That would be $868 in just tips for a 7 day cruise for 2 and $1736 for 4 on a 7 day cruise. It's definitely something to consider and take into account (budget wise) when considering booking concierge or an upgrade at port to concierge. Good to know.

Kimmiebr80 09-09-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calker

$50 per person, per day? So if I have 4 people in a room, it's $200 a day? FWIW, my TA suggested 20pp total!

bmer1rick 09-09-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimmiebr80 (Post 46099504)
$50 per person, per day? So if I have 4 people in a room, it's $200 a day? FWIW, my TA suggested 20pp total!

Agree, that seems really high unless you get absolutely amazing service. As PP said on a 7 day cruise with 4 passengers that would be $1400. I think GS might have this wrong, IMHO.

cypressmom 09-09-2012 11:04 AM

That would be a $1400 tip for a family of four on a seven night cruise. I don't see that happening. ;)

dylan'smom 09-09-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cypressmom (Post 46099596)
That would be a $1400 tip for a family of four on a seven night cruise. I don't see that happening. ;)

Nope, definitely not happening with me!! :lmao:

jennandcompany 09-09-2012 11:08 AM

Ok. Interesting conversation. Who ever was quoted $50.00 per day/per guest must have been misquoted. We are traveling Fantasy in 6 days in a cat T. I plan to tip $20-$50 per person/per cruise to the concierge depending on their service. I will however go above and beyond to take care of our room steward, as they will have a job keeping up with my three kids. We have travelled in suites before with a dedicated butler (ncl) and never tipped to the level suggested by the poster. You have to remember, you are paying 4x normal cruise fare in a suite, the extra attention is part of that fare.

pdwimmer 09-09-2012 11:14 AM

I do think it's a matter of opinion. There were 4 main concierge hosts that took care of us. We tipped each of them $100 for a 4 night cruise. We also tipped double for the room stewards. They had a whole team that came in to clean and did their best to do it while were away from the room.

We had a small reception in our room the first day. There were two servers (that we honestly didn't expect, it was very nice) The tip was included. But we tipped each server an additional $40 in cash before they left. I hope the tip that was included went to those that prepared the food and ensured the room was set up :-)

karamart39 09-09-2012 11:15 AM

I'm confused. I thought that, if you wanted, tip amounts were automatically charged to your account - eliminating the stress over how much to tip everybody. And then, if you wanted, you could tip CMs extra money if you chose to. Is the process different in concierge?

luv2sleep 09-09-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karamart39 (Post 46099693)
I'm confused. I thought that, if you wanted, tip amounts were automatically charged to your account - eliminating the stress over how much to tip everybody. And then, if you wanted, you could tip CMs extra money if you chose to. Is the process different in concierge?

Good question! Are concierge staff tips auto charged too?

Bonniec 09-09-2012 11:26 AM

That would be $1250 for the 5 of us on a 5 night just for the concierge. I'm thinking that $50 per person per day is a typo

bmer1rick 09-09-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2sleep (Post 46099789)
Good question! Are concierge staff tips auto charged too?

No they are not.

kcashner 09-09-2012 11:32 AM

The "standard" tips are charged in concierge the same as in any other cabin. The issue is that the concierge is not a standard position and does not have a "suggested" amount. It is left to the guest's choice.

$50 per guest per night--that's crazy. $50 per guest per cruise--more like it depending on length of cruise. Frankly, I'd base the concierge tip on what they did for me and my family.

And...since no one asked...my pet peeve. I think that stateroom host tips should be higher in concierge suites. They are cleaning a lot more space including kitchen and bathroom space, and every mother knows that's where the bulk of the work is. The host spends approximately twice as much time in a suite as in a normal cabin; this should be reflected in his/her tip.

ThePhantomsGirl 09-09-2012 11:37 AM

Wow, $50 a DAY? I've done concierge several times and I have not done that! I feel I tipped well (at a range of $50 to $75 for the cruise per person).

I also up the room host's tip in a suite as I do feel they more work than in a regular cabin.

However, I also feel that no one should feel shamed into high tips even in concierge. Especially in concierge the fare is quite steep to begin with. I tip because I want to and feel the service (for me) warranted it.