The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Budget Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Visa gift cards, Disney gift cards.... (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2989036)

alwaysmagical 09-07-2012 05:54 PM

Visa gift cards, Disney gift cards....

I need your expertise! I have a sum of $ to take to WDW and no credit card. I would much rather take it on a Visa gift card (that way, I don't HAVE to use any extra at WDW) but I can't find out about hidden fees, cost to use, etc. Does anyone have any experience with Visa gift cards?

bearloch 09-07-2012 05:56 PM

no idea but I too was thinking about doing this as well expecially for my teenagers spening cash while at wdw and then at christmas time at home!

xCourxCorex 09-07-2012 06:21 PM

I think the fee varies depending on the amount of the card. On average I believe they are $3.95-5.95 per card? This is for Amex and Visa gift cards.

*Flower* 09-07-2012 06:31 PM

I did a VISA gift card a couple of weeks ago and the fee for the $50 card was $3.88.

HTH!!

mieuxmew 09-07-2012 06:51 PM

Last I checked (which was around Christmas) if you have an account at TD Bank there is no fee for Visa gift cards.

mckinley 09-07-2012 07:01 PM

I do know that some of them start taking out $ each month the amounts are not used. So i would wait till right before your depature before buying.

alwaysmagical 09-07-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xCourxCorex (Post 46084601)
I think the fee varies depending on the amount of the card. On average I believe they are $3.95-5.95 per card? This is for Amex and Visa gift cards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Flower* (Post 46084708)
I did a VISA gift card a couple of weeks ago and the fee for the $50 card was $3.88.

HTH!!

Are these the fees to BUY the card, or to use it each time? I'm more concerned with individual usage fees, as I don't want to be charged every time I buy a Mickey bar, and then some popcorn, and then a pair of Mickey ears. I really can't find an answer to this. Thanks all!

Lemurone 09-07-2012 08:17 PM

Just to buy and then they charge a fee after 12 months if you haven't used. I just bought one from the grocery store--someone gave me a grocery gift card but I didn't need food from there so I used it to buy a visa card. Then I went to the other store to score on their BOGO!

*Flower* 09-07-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysmagical (Post 46085545)
Are these the fees to BUY the card, or to use it each time? I'm more concerned with individual usage fees, as I don't want to be charged every time I buy a Mickey bar, and then some popcorn, and then a pair of Mickey ears. I really can't find an answer to this. Thanks all!

The fee was for purchase, and I took it and bought a Disney gift card with it. We're going on a cruise next month, and I want to put it in our onboard account to help with expenses. We received 2 Wal-Mart gift cards for $25 each, so I paid the $3.88 to get a $50 card. We'd received $50 in other gift cards, so now I have 1 $100 gift card for our cruise!

That in addition to our TAs OBC for $200 should help a lot with our shipboard expenses!