The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Budget Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   I know Nantucket and budget....... update with pics 10/4 (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2982034)

rentayenta 08-25-2012 05:38 PM

I know Nantucket and budget....... update with pics 10/4
 
I'm going to Nantucket with DH for a few days this September. :cloud9: I'm trying not to spend a ton. My flight from SLC to the island was $437 which seems pretty decent from what I've seen. I'm looking for good eats and things to do without breaking the bank. He does get a per diem which I can spend and would like to not go over. I believe it's $50 a day. I have no clue where we're staying so I'm unsure if there is any breakfast included. I'm more of a big lunch eater. I generally don't have more than coffee for breakfast and eat a light dinner. I'm fit so any activity ideas, aside from something dangerous, like bungee jumping, are welcome. :goodvibes I am not a big shopper either window or for real.


I may be meeting my old college roommate for lunch in Hyannis Port and will need to take a ferry. Any info on either the port or ferry would be great too.


Thanks so much!

Muushka 08-25-2012 06:19 PM

Sorry, I haven't been to Nantucket since the mid 70's (yeah, I'm old!).

I just wanted to wish you a wonderful time. I am out of New England now, but I dream of getting back to Nantucket. One beautiful island.

I can tell you that we did rent bikes and rode around the island. That was fun!

And there were several breakfast places, but the owners are probably all 'gone' by now!

Have a great time!

CaFeeney 08-25-2012 06:23 PM

Hyline Ferry goes to Hyannis but it is not cheap ($77 RT) for the high speed ferry that takes 1hr each way. The regular ferry takes 2 hrs each way and is a bit cheaper - like $45 or so.
https://hylinecruises.com/hy-line-na...and-rates.html

Lots of people rent bikes to see the island. There is not much to do on the cheap but it is certainly lovely and September will be far less crowded than the summer season. Have fun!

swilshire 08-25-2012 07:22 PM

My favorite island! We finally bought a timeshare there to be able to go every year. What kind of work does your husband do? It's terrific to be able to get some travel money for your visit. The government per diem is not as high as I would expect based on island prices, but I think it's higher than $50 if he has a govt job. I tried for a temporary job there once and looked it up at the time.

Unless you are meeting your dearest friend, it isn't worth wasting an island day to make the trip to Hyannis. Maybe you can persuade her to make the trip over and enjoy Nantucket with you for a day.

That's a terrific flight price. The last time we flew over was more than 25 years ago. We got a cheap flight to Boston, but the Boston to Nantucket leg more than doubled the flight cost.

We cook most of our meals on the island, but always hit the Brotherhood for at least a bowl of Chowder. Sign up for TownPool Nantucket emails at http://www.townpool.com . They are similar to Groupon and have been having a lot of really nice deals lately. We used one restaurant certificate when we were there in June (for the Hen House, good food) and two for bakeries (nice desserts). I've never made it out there, but the restaurant at the airport apparently has nice food and has some good deals (you'd need a car to get there).

If you won't have access to a car, definitely rent a bike. Youngs Bike Shop at the Steamship Wharf comes highly recommended. The Chamber of Commerce building right downtown has maps and magazines showing all the activities. We go to a different beach every day and always run out of days before we hit all the beaches. They are all very different.

I'm not a big shopper either, but still recommend a stop in Patina for really nice clothing and jewelry and the Hospital Thrift store for books and island goodies. Look for art galleries (our friend David Lazarus just had an show open), and if you're there at the right time, attend an antique auction.

We haven't been in September since our kids started school, but it's probably the nicest time of the year to visit. The trip out to Bartlettt's Farm is always a must do and we always go to Madaket for the sunset every evening. We always drive over to Sconset one day to look at the rose covered houses and visit the Wauwinet House at least once. We haven't been able to do it for several years, but a trip out to Great Point is terrific. You'd need an oversand vehicle to do that. We also try to get in a late afternoon fishing trip and watch the sunset from the boat.

If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them. My only regret every year is that we can only stay one week. I'm trying to figure out some way to turn that into two. So much to do that a week just isn't long enough.

Sheila

Muushka 08-26-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Unless you are meeting your dearest friend, it isn't worth wasting an island day to make the trip to Hyannis. Maybe you can persuade her to make the trip over and enjoy Nantucket with you for a day.
I'm with you on that one. Freinds don't ask friends to leave Nantucket for the day!

swilshire 08-26-2012 06:49 PM

Forgot to mention our favorite sandwich shop. Provisions on Straight Wharf isn't cheap, but you could easily share their large sandwiches. The Turkey Terrific is our favorite.

Sheila

rentayenta 08-26-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muushka (Post 45944326)
Sorry, I haven't been to Nantucket since the mid 70's (yeah, I'm old!).

I just wanted to wish you a wonderful time. I am out of New England now, but I dream of getting back to Nantucket. One beautiful island.

I can tell you that we did rent bikes and rode around the island. That was fun!

And there were several breakfast places, but the owners are probably all 'gone' by now!

Have a great time!



Thank you! I've been looking at photos and know I'm going to just love it there. :goodvibes I don't know what hotel we'll be in but the guy who booked it said its in a great location in the middle of town.


Quote:

Originally Posted by CaFeeney (Post 45944362)
Hyline Ferry goes to Hyannis but it is not cheap ($77 RT) for the high speed ferry that takes 1hr each way. The regular ferry takes 2 hrs each way and is a bit cheaper - like $45 or so.
https://hylinecruises.com/hy-line-na...and-rates.html

Lots of people rent bikes to see the island. There is not much to do on the cheap but it is certainly lovely and September will be far less crowded than the summer season. Have fun!


Thank you for the ferry info. :thumbsup2 I'm definitely gong to rent a bike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swilshire (Post 45944845)
My favorite island! We finally bought a timeshare there to be able to go every year. What kind of work does your husband do? It's terrific to be able to get some travel money for your visit. The government per diem is not as high as I would expect based on island prices, but I think it's higher than $50 if he has a govt job. I tried for a temporary job there once and looked it up at the time.

Unless you are meeting your dearest friend, it isn't worth wasting an island day to make the trip to Hyannis. Maybe you can persuade her to make the trip over and enjoy Nantucket with you for a day.

That's a terrific flight price. The last time we flew over was more than 25 years ago. We got a cheap flight to Boston, but the Boston to Nantucket leg more than doubled the flight cost.

We cook most of our meals on the island, but always hit the Brotherhood for at least a bowl of Chowder. Sign up for TownPool Nantucket emails at http://www.townpool.com . They are similar to Groupon and have been having a lot of really nice deals lately. We used one restaurant certificate when we were there in June (for the Hen House, good food) and two for bakeries (nice desserts). I've never made it out there, but the restaurant at the airport apparently has nice food and has some good deals (you'd need a car to get there).

If you won't have access to a car, definitely rent a bike. Youngs Bike Shop at the Steamship Wharf comes highly recommended. The Chamber of Commerce building right downtown has maps and magazines showing all the activities. We go to a different beach every day and always run out of days before we hit all the beaches. They are all very different.

I'm not a big shopper either, but still recommend a stop in Patina for really nice clothing and jewelry and the Hospital Thrift store for books and island goodies. Look for art galleries (our friend David Lazarus just had an show open), and if you're there at the right time, attend an antique auction.

We haven't been in September since our kids started school, but it's probably the nicest time of the year to visit. The trip out to Bartlettt's Farm is always a must do and we always go to Madaket for the sunset every evening. We always drive over to Sconset one day to look at the rose covered houses and visit the Wauwinet House at least once. We haven't been able to do it for several years, but a trip out to Great Point is terrific. You'd need an oversand vehicle to do that. We also try to get in a late afternoon fishing trip and watch the sunset from the boat.

If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them. My only regret every year is that we can only stay one week. I'm trying to figure out some way to turn that into two. So much to do that a week just isn't long enough.

Sheila


Thank you Sheila for your post. It's making me even more excited. The more I read, the more I'm thinking my measly 2 full days and 2 half days won't nearly be enough and I don't want to waste them in Hyannis. My friend is my old college roommate. She'd have to travel 3 hours one way to get to Hyannis. I'm thinking maybe it won't work as I'm not going to want to leave the island. I can't ask her to travel 5 hours each way though.

I found a walking tour that looks fun. It's through the middle of town it sounds. I am a total beach person. Which beach would you suggest as I'll be alone? I'll have a bike but no car.

Island goodies sound like fun! I like trinket shopping. It's clothes shopping I can't get into.

DH said we'll basically have time for a light bite and drink at night. I wish I knew where we are staying. :hyper:


Quote:

Originally Posted by Muushka (Post 45950224)
I'm with you on that one. Freinds don't ask friends to leave Nantucket for the day!


She hasn't been to Nantucket so I'm thinking she doesn't know. She's super cool though. :goodvibes

Quote:

Originally Posted by swilshire (Post 45954019)
Forgot to mention our favorite sandwich shop. Provisions on Straight Wharf isn't cheap, but you could easily share their large sandwiches. The Turkey Terrific is our favorite.

Sheila



:thanks: Sounds perfect! We share a lot too. I'm looking forward to finding a neat Happy Hour on the beach.

Muushka 08-26-2012 08:35 PM

Please come back and let us know how it was. Pictures would be great!

I think Nantucket has the most beautiful downtown of any I have ever seen. We always stayed within walking distance.
And a nice beach was a close bike ride if I remember correctly.

rentayenta 08-26-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muushka (Post 45955270)
Please come back and let us know how it was. Pictures would be great!

I think Nantucket has the most beautiful downtown of any I have ever seen. We always stayed within walking distance.
And a nice beach was a close bike ride if I remember correctly.



I will for sure and also when I find out what hotel we're in. I really appreciate the input! Nantucket is on my bucket list. This is a dream come true. :goodvibes

23 days!!! :woohoo:

mrsboz 08-27-2012 08:17 AM

If you decide to go to Hyannis, check out the Steamship Authority. It is much cheaper than Hy-line. it isn't a high speed ship, but it will tell you the times to help you make your decision.

rentayenta 08-27-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsboz (Post 45958781)
If you decide to go to Hyannis, check out the Steamship Authority. It is much cheaper than Hy-line. it isn't a high speed ship, but it will tell you the times to help you make your decision.



Thank you. :thumbsup2 Will do. I'm torn. She's willing to make the 6 rt drive.....

swilshire 08-28-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rentayenta (Post 45955087)
I am a total beach person. Which beach would you suggest as I'll be alone? I'll have a bike but no car.

It is not a big island, so with a bike, any beach is easily within reach. They are all beautiful and none of them will be crowded in September. Be sure to ride out to Sconset one day for the charming town and nice beach. Jetties Beach is close to town and great for a quick trip. Madaket has the best sunsets, though the beach took a big hit from erosion last year.

The map you get from the bike company will show them all. Visit as many as you can squeeze in.

You will almost certainly have a wonderful visit! :thumbsup2

Sheila

ford91exploder 08-28-2012 11:30 PM

Read "Yesterday's Island" or YI.COM for hints on food and lodging on the island. There is never a shortage of good things places to eat on Nantucket even in the off season.

I recommend the Jared Coffin House for dinner which is one of Nantucket's oldest hotels dating from the whaling days.

Unless you are flying JetBlue, I hope you are not afraid of small planes as you will be flying a Cessna 1900 from BOS to ACK (The ACK comes from looking at the strip on final approach...) But the small planes are great as you can watch the bluefish feed (they leave a small oil slick on the surface ) and the pilots years ago would spot the fish for the fishing boats

The airline you will be flying out to Nantucket on "Nantucket Airlines" was the inspiration for the show "Wings"

I was the engineer who brought internet to Nantucket for the first time many years ago many challenges and many pleasant memories

Enjoy!


Quote:

Originally Posted by rentayenta (Post 45944016)
I'm going to Nantucket with DH for a few days this September. He'll be working so I'll have my days up until the evenings to myself. :cloud9: I'm trying not to spend a ton. My flight from SLC to the island was $437 which seems pretty decent from what I've seen. I'm looking for good eats and things to do without breaking the bank. He does get a per diem which I can spend and would like to not go over. I believe it's $50 a day. I have no clue where we're staying so I'm unsure if there is any breakfast included. I'm more of a big lunch eater. I generally don't have more than coffee for breakfast and eat a light dinner. I'm fit so any activity ideas, aside from something dangerous, like bungee jumping, are welcome. :goodvibes I am not a big shopper either window or for real.


I may be meeting my old college roommate for lunch in Hyannis Port and will need to take a ferry. Any info on either the port or ferry would be great too.


Thanks so much!


rentayenta 09-18-2012 09:29 PM

.

Muushka 09-19-2012 08:31 AM

Didn't I read your report OP about Nantucket? I could have sworn that I did!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.