The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Tipping the concierge . . . the poll . . . (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2971416)

disneywonderfun 08-06-2012 07:07 PM

Tipping the concierge . . . the poll . . .

Since it was asked, I am going to go ahead and make a poll about concierge tipping. Obviously, you can choose more than one selection. Sorry about the typos on "staff". Just meant to get a feel for the opinions out there.

DWF

P.S. The amounts for all the "per person" choices were also meant to include "per day"

PrincessShmoo 08-06-2012 08:25 PM

None of those options covers my opinion. I would tip at the time, when a service is supplied. Amount would depend on what I asked to be done, and if it was done quickly/well/grudgingly/several hours later/etc.

:cutie:

jrbdad 08-06-2012 08:26 PM

Thanks for pulling this together.

disneywonderfun 08-06-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo (Post 45738570)
None of those options covers my opinion. I would tip at the time, when a service is supplied. Amount would depend on what I asked to be done, and if it was done quickly/well/grudgingly/several hours later/etc.

I knew I would leave off a few possibilities simply due to the variety that exists. Thanks for the input!

DWF

Subi WRX 08-06-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo (Post 45738570)

Curious if you would do the same with your dining and stateroom host? Like them, the envelope for the concierge is given at the end of the cruise. If you tip as you go, would you just not give him an envelope at the end of the cruise?

Interesting responses. You can see they run the gamut and everyone tips differently.

disneyholic family 08-07-2012 03:20 AM

there shouldn't be a tip envelope.

Tips to concierge staff should be what you want to give if you think they deserve a tip.

they shouldn't automatically get ANYTHING!

they are a salaried position, unlike the room stewards and dining servers, who do not get any salary at all, and for whom the tips are their entire income.

Concierge staff are salaried positions. The tips should be given for a job well done, not as a matter of course.

This wasn't an option in your poll.

Subi WRX 08-07-2012 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneyholic family (Post 45741381)
there shouldn't be a tip envelope.

Tips to concierge staff should be what you want to give if you think they deserve a tip.

they shouldn't automatically get ANYTHING!

they are a salaried position, unlike the room stewards and dining servers, who do not get any salary at all, and for whom the tips are their entire income.

Concierge staff are salaried positions. The tips should be given for a job well done, not as a matter of course.

This wasn't an option in your poll.

:confused3

Concierge DOESN'T automatically get anything. However, you DO get an envelope for tipping the concierge, whether you want it or not. So it is an option in the poll (first one: leave no tip regardless).

DCL says tipping concierge is "at your discretion." Looks like people's "discretion" is all over the place.

tvguy 08-07-2012 07:41 AM

Okay, I thought Concierge employees were prohibited from taking tips.

disneyholic family 08-07-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvguy (Post 45741939)

this used to be the case for disney resort concierge staff....i don't know if it's still true..

i really really really really really really hate this whole tipping business...

one of the reasons i love japan - no tipping and far better service than you ever get anywhere in the US where tipping reigns supreme...

disneyholic family 08-07-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subi WRX (Post 45741457)
:confused3

Concierge DOESN'T automatically get anything. However, you DO get an envelope for tipping the concierge, whether you want it or not. So it is an option in the poll (first one: leave no tip regardless).

DCL says tipping concierge is "at your discretion." Looks like people's "discretion" is all over the place.

my answer is "none of the above"...not a set per person per day amount and not a set amount..

you give what you feel like giving if you feel like giving..

i know that on the wonder our concierge staff didn't deserve a penny......

ludari 08-07-2012 09:20 AM

The first time I sailed on DCL I too felt what did this person do for me to deserve a tip, however since I was travelling solo the tip amount wasn't enough for me to get upset about. Since my first Disney cruise I have learned to asks for a service such as a particular entree that is not on the menu or a particular desert to be sent to my stateroom later so I don't feel like I am tipping for nothing.

disneywonderfun 08-07-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ludari (Post 45742897)
The first time I sailed on DCL I too felt what did this person do for me to deserve a tip, however since I was travelling solo the tip amount wasn't enough for me to get upset about. Since my first Disney cruise I have learned to asks for a service such as a particular entree that is not on the menu or a particular desert to be sent to my stateroom later so I don't feel like I am tipping for nothing.

I know what you mean.

DWF

PrincessShmoo 08-07-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvguy (Post 45741939)

Concierge (on DCL) used to be a non-tippable position. You can tip now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subi WRX (Post 45740688)
Curious if you would do the same with your dining and stateroom host? Like them, the envelope for the concierge is given at the end of the cruise. If you tip as you go, would you just not give him an envelope at the end of the cruise?

Interesting responses. You can see they run the gamut and everyone tips differently.

Since the dining room servers and room host are doing stuff automatically for me everyday throughout the cruise, we tip as suggested, and, many times, add additional.

If I've already paid extra to be in concierge, I would only tip additional to the concierge staff if they do extra stuff for me, at the time the service is rendered.

CoolHandsGirl 08-07-2012 03:55 PM

Thanks for putting this poll together - I was happy to add my vote and get a feel for what others are doing. :thumbsup2

AlexandNessa 08-07-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolHandsGirl (Post 45747542)
Thanks for putting this poll together - I was happy to add my vote and get a feel for what others are doing. :thumbsup2

Yes, me too !