The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Polynesian May 2013 (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2970555)

Mom2Dash&JackJack 08-05-2012 09:37 AM

Polynesian May 2013
 
We are planning a moderately large family vacation to the Polynesian next May 2013. Reading tiki man and Dis it looks as though there may be construction and potentially a closure of the volcano pool in 2013. This does impact our decision to stay there as we have small kids who enjoy their time at the pool (especially the volcano slide). What are our chances of this being an issue in May? When would we find out for certain? Thanks in advance!!!!

mickeynut1 08-07-2012 06:21 PM

I don't have any answers for you, but I'm interested in this as well. We are planning a Poly CL stay in July 2013 and one of the many things we love about the Poly is the pool. Closure of the volcano pool will change our resort plans :(.

Mousemommy1 08-07-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2Dash&JackJack (Post 45721407)
We are planning a moderately large family vacation to the Polynesian next May 2013. Reading tiki man and Dis it looks as though there may be construction and potentially a closure of the volcano pool in 2013. This does impact our decision to stay there as we have small kids who enjoy their time at the pool (especially the volcano slide). What are our chances of this being an issue in May? When would we find out for certain? Thanks in advance!!!!

I agree with PP that if the volcano pool and slide is closed, we would have to change resorts. We are going to be there in April 2013. I haven't been able to find any hard answers anywhere though.

Wynton67 08-07-2012 07:33 PM

LOVE Polynesian!!!!

Mom2Dash&JackJack 08-08-2012 04:55 PM

I guess it's a big mystery. We'll have to hold tight for a bit.

I agree with most! The closure of the volcano pool is definitely a game changer!!!

mickey2minnie1 08-08-2012 05:55 PM

We are looking for next June. The pool/GCH closure would be a deal breaker fo me too. Unfortunately we may not find out for awhile.

nh grandma 08-10-2012 01:58 PM

Poly Renovations
 
We just returned from 8 days at the Polynesian. They have renovations planned in all the buildings, as well as the pool, and the Grand Ceremonial House, which houses the food locations, as well as the monorail boarding. We heard that the GCH would be totally removed and rebuilt and the pool did need renovations, at best. Walking to swim or get food would be a deal breaker for us. The worst thing is that there is no time schedule to these renovations at this time. We will be booking for 2014 in 2013 and don't know whether things will be in place or not! Frustrating!

Wanna be Ariel 08-10-2012 02:23 PM

Oh no this is not good. We are planning to stay at the Poly for the first time the first week of Nov 2013. My DS will want to swim for sure and this will be a BIG deal breaker for us. I guess I better start to wrap my head around staying at the Contempory or Bay Lake:confused3:confused3 DH is not going to be happy.

Masonmj84 08-10-2012 02:37 PM

One of my pet peeves with Disney is that they typically wait until the 11th hour to announce resort rennovations.

Now part of this may be because they themselves haven't finalized their plans until that 11th hour.

But I suspect they have a pretty good idea of their plans well in advance of their public announcement. For example, Disney typically announces theme park refurbs many months in advance.

But they typically wait until much later to announce resort refurbs (the current/upcoming refurbs at the GF being the most recent example).

Obviously, they want people to book rooms that might not otherwise be booked, had the public known of their plans (the possible upcoming Volcano Pool/GCH refurb at Poly being a prime example).

But this really isn't fair to someone booking a resort, particularly a deluxe resort, who is relying on the fact that the resort will be fully functional (in most material respects) during their visit, only to find out at the last minute that it won't be.

For example, someone might book the Poly months in advance, find out only weeks in advance that the Volcano pool will be closed and then be left with only limited options at that point.

If Disney isn't going to make public announcements about material resort refurbs until the last minute, they should do at least one of the following:

(1) As soon as their plans are solid, let people know who have booked, are booking, or are trying to book a particular resort that a material refurb is scheduled during the time of their visit (even though this would spread on boards like this one, it would simply be a rumor, and most of the non-Disney fanatic general public would be totally unaware of it).

(2) If someone booked at a discount, allow them to apply the same discount at a different resort even if the period for the discount has expired.

(3) Waive the fee to change package reservations after the 45 day mark.

Wanna be Ariel 08-10-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonmj84 (Post 45781689)
One of my pet peeves with Disney is that they typically wait until the 11th hour to announce resort rennovations.

Now part of this may be because they themselves haven't finalized their plans until that 11th hour.

But I suspect they have a pretty good idea of their plans well in advance of their public announcement. For example, Disney typically announces theme park refurbs many months in advance.

But they typically wait until much later to announce resort refurbs (the current/upcoming refurbs at the GF being the most recent example).

Obviously, they want people to book rooms that might not otherwise be booked, had the public known of their plans (the possible upcoming Volcano Pool/GCH refurb at Poly being a prime example).

But this really isn't fair to someone booking a resort, particularly a deluxe resort, who is relying on the fact that the resort will be fully functional (in most material respects) during their visit, only to find out at the last minute that it won't be.

For example, someone might book the Poly months in advance, find out only weeks in advance that the Volcano pool will be closed and then be left with only limited options at that point.

If Disney isn't going to make public announcements about material resort refurbs until the last minute, they should do at least one of the following:

(1) As soon as their plans are solid, let people know who have booked, are booking, or are trying to book a particular resort that a material refurb is scheduled during the time of their visit (even though this would spread on boards like this one, it would simply be a rumor, and most of the non-Disney fanatic general public would be totally unaware of it).

(2) If someone booked at a discount, allow them to apply the same discount at a different resort even if the period for the discount has expired.

(3) Waive the fee to change package reservations after the 45 day mark.

I agree!!! It was was never a big deal for us to have a pool when we were in Disney in the past, But now with my DS he loves the water and this is really a deal breaker for us. For the amount of money we need to pay to stay here. They better do something if the pool is going to be closed or the other big deal breaker would be the monorail for us also. I hate secrets:rolleyes:

mickey2minnie1 08-10-2012 10:11 PM

I am on standby and will have a backup plan too for next year.:sad2:

bwifan 08-12-2012 09:10 AM

I am also planning for June 2013. The poly is our first choice, but only if there is a pool! Our second choice is a split stay between beach and AKL. I'll be keeping my ears open.

Magalex 08-13-2012 09:29 AM

For first time I was thinking of adding Poly to our list of resorts. 2013 will be our 20th wedding anniversary & I was thinking of going "deluxe" for June 2013. So now I have keep tabs on the Poly.

DisneyJanFeb2008 12-21-2012 07:12 PM

Any updates on this??? Considering the Poly for March 2013~~

Sherlee 01-12-2013 08:55 PM

Looking for updates too - planning for November 2013


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.