The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Wand Chooses the Wizard? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2970545)

ChrisG00fy 08-05-2012 10:26 AM

Wand Chooses the Wizard?

Can an adult do this or is it strictly for children? I would love to have a wand choose me, but I don't want to be the only adult standing in line for this.

Thanks!

derekburgan 08-05-2012 10:53 AM

I've seen the wand choose teenagers, but I think the only way an adult is going to get picked is if you can go with a large group and guarantee no kids get into the room. The whole process is designed to get kids to the front of the room and they are always going to be chosen over an adult, no matter how passionate a fan they may be.

Although to be fair, I've never tried slipping the witch or wizard $20 at the door... :)

mesaboy2 08-05-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisG00fy (Post 45721326)
Can an adult do this or is it strictly for children? I would love to have a wand choose me, but I don't want to be the only adult standing in line for this.

Thanks!

An adult certainly can be chosen, but usually the shopkeeper will choose children. There is no surefire method for anyone to get picked. Your chances are about 1 in 25--the approximate size of the group let in to Ollivander's.

ChrisG00fy 08-05-2012 12:22 PM

Thank you, I didn't know how it was done. Can you buy a wand there?

macraven 08-05-2012 12:33 PM

you'll be welcomed with open arms to buy a wand there.......

aftr the show at olivanders, you'll empty into the shop connected to it. buy the wand there.

Akwafunk 08-05-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisG00fy (Post 45722312)
Thank you, I didn't know how it was done. Can you buy a wand there?

Absolutely - you should also know that the wand that chooses the wizard is also slightly more expensive than the others. We were standing close when the shop assistant came over to the ecstatic child and his family after the show and said in a hushed tone:

"YOUR wand will cost $35.95..."

:lmao:

Also, the shop assistants do sometimes play it up a little - one very solemnly measured my son's mouth to help him decide which one to pick.

Enjoy it - it's a lot of fun either way.

mesaboy2 08-05-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macraven (Post 45722396)
you'll be welcomed with open arms to buy a wand there.......

aftr the show at olivanders, you'll empty into the shop connected to it. buy the wand there.

Yes. Be aware OP that you do not have to do Ollivander's (the show) to buy a wand. The line for Ollivander's can be long, but it is just a show.

PDJPrinceCharming 08-05-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesaboy2 (Post 45721681)
An adult certainly can be chosen, but usually the shopkeeper will choose children. There is no surefire method for anyone to get picked. Your chances are about 1 in 25--the approximate size of the group let in to Ollivander's.

We were chosen last year, not exactly sure how but it happened & it was awesome. I have the wand that was chosen for me as well. We were 26 & 29 respectively. She had on a Ravenclaw shirt, I was wearing an Impact Wrestling shirt. We were by ourselves & wearing birthday buttons. It's definitely worth it if you get picked & if you do, your AAA card can be used to buy the wand afterwards so you win both ways. Good luck on getting picked & enjoy yourself.

soccerchick 08-05-2012 09:43 PM

We were there last week and an adult was selected (I'd guess that she was probably late 40s/early 50s) during our visit. There were at least 8-10 kids in there too.

bumbershoot 08-06-2012 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesaboy2 (Post 45723172)
Yes. Be aware OP that you do not have to do Ollivander's (the show) to buy a wand. The line for Ollivander's can be long, but it is just a show.

Yep. Just go into the store that Ollivander's is attached to, to get the "birthday" wands.

*LittleMermaid* 08-08-2012 12:21 AM

The adult that I have seen being chosen are adults that look really excited and happy to be there...

damo 08-08-2012 08:08 AM

We've had an adult in our party chosen. She is very charismatic with a a gorgeous smile. Try flashing your pearly whites at the wandshop keeper. I've also seen a family of 5 go in and the mother was chosen.

oneandonlytara 09-13-2012 01:55 PM

I was chosen last week while there and I'm 27. I thought for sure the wandkeeper would choose a child since there was definitely kids beside *and* behind me. At first, I didn't even realize he'd chosen me and thought he was talking to someone behind me. Just goes to show that the wand really does choose the wizard ;)

It was a great experience and I'd be willing to stand in line again, just to see it through someone else's eyes.

And, my wand was $34.95, so yes, they do mark up the price just a bit if you're the chosen one. But, I couldn't not get it. I would've probably gotten the Hawthorne wand (which is my birthday wand and one that I "tested" during the show at Ollivander's, but it wasn't the right one) if I hadn't bought the wand that chose me. My wand is birch with a phoenx tail feather core.

kitgal421 09-13-2012 02:22 PM

It's exciting to see that adults were chosen! I'm 22 and going next month and I REALLY hope I get picked!

Slipping a $20 doesn't sound like such a bad idea. ;)

elovell 09-13-2012 08:49 PM

Just out of curiosity since the "chosen" wands are more expensive, are they any different than the ones in the shop?