The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Rumors and News (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Cars Land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2968253)

zulemara 07-31-2012 11:37 PM

Cars Land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios?
 
Sources have been indicating for a while that something is coming to DHS, but chatter recently picked up and a source indicates plans are being pushed up!. Apparently Cars Land is on the table to come to DHS. The question is where would they put it? Most agree it the backlot tour and the stunt show in the back of the park would be eliminated to make room for Carsland. The stunt show is also extremely expensive form a labor and supplies perspective, so Disney may be looking for a way to eliminate it. If TDO doesn’t cheap out and does things correctly, this could be a great addition to DHS and help draw some of the crowds away from attractions like Toy Story Mania. Tom Staggs is also known to be visiting WDW this week. The last time he was seen walking around, we got the Avatar Land announcement. Stay tuned as this one develops!

prfctlyximprfct 07-31-2012 11:56 PM

Ahhh this is so exciting!! :)

hakepb 08-01-2012 12:39 AM

Cars Land looks incredible at DL. given how many years construction will the Cars franchise have enough life if a Cars Land opened in 2015/2016?

lockedoutlogic 08-01-2012 12:41 AM

Answer: Not Happening
Reason: Costs too much/ no significant attendance bump likely

Consolation prize: more shops/ bibbidi bobbiti boutiques

mulderxcoltrane 08-01-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic (Post 45676569)
"no significant attendance bump likely"

I don't think this can be accurately said until we see what kind of attendance changes there have been at DCA as a result. Perhaps they'll be huge; perhaps not....but it can't be firmly stated it would have no positive attendance effects.

lockedoutlogic 08-01-2012 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulderxcoltrane (Post 45676592)
I don't think this can be accurately said until we see what kind of attendance changes there have been at DCA as a result. Perhaps they'll be huge; perhaps not....but it can't be firmly stated it would have no positive attendance effects.

The average attendance stay did not increase to disney's estimates/ expectations when they built animal kingdom...from roughly a 5.5 to 6 (days)average up to about a 6.5-7...that extra day is not a lot to offset what was probably 2 billion total on the park and times 2 on the other things in the area built in the run up to AK and aftermath.

that may sound great, but it doesn't justify the overhead to them. And any expansion to a single park is likely to result in most park cannibalizaiton - as in those that may have previous spent more time in the other 3 parks will peel some of their time away to concentrate on the park - presumably studios - that would have the new land...

that is a fact and is closely watched both at Team Disney and by financial analysts.

You will see this when the full magic kingdom expansion opens....attendance will "spike" at MK...but numbers will fall or remain stagnant at the others...resulting in a fairly insignificant overall increase to the property (assuming outside factors like ECONOMY remain equal). EPCOT - in particular - stands to be pilfered...but AK will feel it too.

So it's not really going out on a limb...its the story behind the story that governs far more decisions than most care to admit/realize.

But the proof is in the swamp: they have added no new significant guest areas in terms of serving more capacity since animal kingdom has opened its doors...and if you're fair - have actually reduced those spaces by partially dismantling pleasure island and closing discovery island and river country.
The only "additions" have been hotel rooms and even better guaranteed repeat hotel rooms in SIX new DVC locations since AK...

That's 14 years...its fair to say that its a pattern...i'm giving the reason...based on gut an just a little experience.
Take it as a reasonable theory or complete quackiness - your call:cool1:

AddictedtoDoleWhip 08-01-2012 03:17 AM

Can't WDW do something that is different from DL? Do they absolutely need to copy what DCA has? Why not just do a Pixar-Land which encompasses all pixar movies instead of just Cars.

IllinoisJones 08-01-2012 10:03 AM

Jim Hill reported this about a year and a half ago. Good to see it's picking up speed. He had said it was planned long ago, but DL wanted CL exclusively to help boost attendance at DCA. He also said there would be a major difference between DCA and DHS. DHS' version would be based on Cars 2 and feature Tokyo in it's main attraction. He also said it would be part of a huge expansion to Pixar Place. All this makes sense with the supposed scale down from Avatarland to Avatar the attraction at DAK.

As far as Disneyland goes, Harry Potter is coming and he will be large. His castle will be seen as part of the Hollywood landscape. Look for big changes in DL to counter, primarily with Marvel characters. Remember, they can be used out there.

IllinoisJones 08-01-2012 10:13 AM

Sorry. He said it would be in DL exclusively for 5 years before opening in DHS. If that's true, construction could start right after the opening of the new Fantasyland.

hakepb 08-01-2012 10:17 AM

Ewww, Cars2? It was a fun little movie, but it did not result in any emotional attachment like Cars produced. Plus Cars built on the whole Route 66 that many people relate to. I want to visit Radiator Springs. I have no desire to go to a Japanese party and eat pistachio ice cream ;)

jsebsirois 08-01-2012 07:18 PM

Let's wait and see but I don't think they will make an announcement regarding Cars Land coming to Orlando since it's in its first year over in Anaheim.

However, the stunt show and the backlot tour would offer the perfect spot for an expansion. Plus, Pixar Place could become an entire land, even more if they change the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground to A Bugs Life playground...

lockedoutlogic 08-01-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsebsirois
Let's wait and see but I don't think they will make an announcement regarding Cars Land coming to Orlando since it's in its first year over in Anaheim.

However, the stunt show and the backlot tour would offer the perfect spot for an expansion. Plus, Pixar Place could become an entire land, even more if they change the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground to A Bugs Life playground...

The backlot has been perfect for expansion since practically opening day...and there would be little reason to redo an outdated 20 year old playground with a dated 15 year old overlay...

The sentiment that Disney wants to do a large scale reinvestment/expansion in studios is not very realistic...based on the history of the park -my opinion.

Park expansion has been piecemeal and sparingly...frankly

umichigan10 08-01-2012 10:41 PM

If any expansion occurs it'll be a unique one seperate from carsland (although I could see a pixar land with cars elements) so as to keep a draw to Cali adventure and DHS.

lockedoutlogic 08-01-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umichigan10
If any expansion occurs it'll be a unique one seperate from carsland (although I could see a pixar land with cars elements) so as to keep a draw to Cali adventure and DHS.

My point is why is there any reason to think that they would do such a thing?

Look at MGM for what it was meant to be...a compliment that feeds the bigger
Giftshops...err, I mean - "parks" later in the day.

They have added one decent attraction every 5-7 years in its now 23 year history and seem to have no motivation to do what is being suggested here: a new "land"...

So it's not even a legitimate rumor at this point. I see no advantage to them
Pouring 500 mil and devoting 3 years of concerted construction efforts at studios...

Especially since AK's needs are just as real and probably would have more upside if corrected.

ChrisFL 08-01-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic (Post 45687949)
My point is why is there any reason to think that they would do such a thing?

Look at MGM for what it was meant to be...a compliment that feeds the bigger
Giftshops...err, I mean - "parks" later in the day.

They have added one decent attraction every 5-7 years in its now 23 year history and seem to have no motivation to do what is being suggested here: a new "land"...

So it's not even a legitimate rumor at this point. I see no advantage to them
Pouring 500 mil and devoting 3 years of concerted construction efforts at studios...

Especially since AK's needs are just as real and probably would have more upside if corrected.

Why? Because that other Studios park is investing millions and millions of dollars right now and is going to have a lot of the Orlando area "spotlight" very shortly.

Animal Kingdom is getting Avatar, MK has FLE, Epcot is coasting along with new restaurants, eateries and a new Test Track......plus Star Tours 2 seemed to do almost nothing to help the attendance at DHS.

I think at this point, the question is, does anyone in TDO, or more importantly, the main offices have some pride in that recently renamed studios park to invest in it, before Universal takes all of the limelight.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.