The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   High School Class of 2016 (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2963035)

Pea-n-Me 07-22-2012 09:26 PM

High School Class of 2016

I've seen these threads around before and thought I'd start one for those who have kids starting high school this fall. I know there are a lot of us here.

Pea-n-Me 07-22-2012 09:27 PM

So, for those who've been through this before, what do us newbs need to know? :rotfl2:

momof1princess 07-22-2012 09:29 PM

that's me. DD14 starts HS in less than a month (august 20th). she's thrilled that marching band season has come back around, but not sure she's going to like HS...lol.

dhcoffey 07-22-2012 09:30 PM

My youngest DD starts high school august 10. She is terrified even though these are the same kids she's been in school with since kindergarten. I think once the first day is over, she will be fine.

Heather

The Mystery Machine 07-22-2012 09:33 PM

Save your homework or any graded work until the report card grades are in stone for the quarter.

Make copies if the teacher seems to "lose" things.

Find out when orientation is, get hair appt for school pic. My dd's pic for the yearbook is on orientation day which is Aug 2nd.

Make sure you write down dates, esp. if they are going to do sports, choir, band, etc... Sometimes you have to audition. Be proactive and call if you are unsure.

Have fun!

My youngest is the class of 2015. Almost done.:cool1:

padams 07-22-2012 09:53 PM

DS2 will be a freshman. From having an older child, I know it's important to get off to a good start. Don't let them have the attitude "it's just freshman year." Hit the ground running.:thumbsup2

cabanafrau 07-23-2012 08:20 AM

I've got one headed for HS this fall and another is headed off to begin college.

Older DD was just advising her sister last week why she might want some different types of binders/folders this year because you need to keep everything, primarily for the same reason someone stated above about teachers losing things or not recording the grade properly, but also because things like math & foreign language paperwork are needed to refer back to.

Rylee 07-23-2012 08:50 AM

Hi, :wave2:

Our DS13 will begin high school the day after Labor Day. After completing 8th grade this year, he already has 3 credits. :yay:

This isn't my first trip around the block, our 3 DD's have already graduated from college. We also have DS10 entering 6th grade this year.

I'm way too tired to do the math, lol, but I think one of the kids said, from the time the oldest started kindergarten and the youngest graduates from high school, we will have had a child in school for 33 straight years.

punkin 07-23-2012 09:12 AM

DD13 is starting in late August, and I am expecting a wild ride with this one. She is an "interesting" child. My head hurts just thinking about it.

luvmy3 07-23-2012 09:22 AM

My dd is starting HS in the fall and she is excited and nervous. I admit, I am too. Thanks to those posters who have been through it and have advice for us!

wdwmom0f3 07-23-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine (Post 45574087)
Save your homework or any graded work until the report card grades are in stone for the quarter.

Make copies if the teacher seems to "lose" things.
Find out when orientation is, get hair appt for school pic. My dd's pic for the yearbook is on orientation day which is Aug 2nd.

Make sure you write down dates, esp. if they are going to do sports, choir, band, etc... Sometimes you have to audition. Be proactive and call if you are unsure.

Have fun!

My youngest is the class of 2015. Almost done.:cool1:

I agree with all of this especially about teachers losing things. That's very frustrating!

Quote:

Originally Posted by padams (Post 45574364)
DS2 will be a freshman. From having an older child, I know it's important to get off to a good start. Don't let them have the attitude "it's just freshman year." Hit the ground running.:thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 I have one who graduated in 2011 and she will tell you the very same thing. I also have one who will be a freshman this year and she is so excited. She is a cheerleader and very involved at the school. This is far different from my oldest who could not have cared less about all of that. They are like day light to dark. :rotfl: I am looking forward to a very good year! :goodvibes

nmmom95 07-23-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvmy3 (Post 45577618)
My dd is starting HS in the fall and she is excited and nervous. I admit, I am too. Thanks to those posters who have been through it and have advice for us!

DS14 starts high school on August 30th and feels the same.

DisneyMissy318 07-23-2012 11:07 AM

I'll join in - my DD (14) starts High School on August 20 - looking forward to hearing from the rest of you!

Pea-n-Me 07-23-2012 11:25 AM

Wow, Rylee, 33 straight years! :eek:

Well we're off to a good start! I knew there were a lot of us here from previous posts. (So glad Middle School is over! :duck: )

I have a daughter and a son starting HS in late August. DD14, like some of the other DDs mentioned here, is excited and nervous. DS hasn't mentioned much.

Good tips already. Will have to pick up some supplies in the next few weeks.

I saw this thread last week that others may have missed re supplies for HS: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=70088

MomofKatie 07-23-2012 12:16 PM

I have a Class of '16er, too! DD13 will start her freshman year on Aug 27th. She is excited, and a little nervous. We are waiting to hear what classes she got into- will buy supplies once she has her schedule.