The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Budget Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Cloth Diapers (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2955916)

adventure_woman 07-10-2012 07:47 PM

Cloth Diapers

I just have to share my best BUDGET baby advice. My daughter is now potty trained (26 months), so I just sold all my cloth diapers. When I bought them, I bought some used online, then I bought about a dozen new - Sunbaby (they are a LOT CHEAPER, like $6/diaper new). Anyway, when I sold my diapers, I think I actually got more than I paid for them! How awesome is that??!?!?! After using them for 2 years, rarely buying disposables, I made money! So, with the water usage, I probably only spent $100 diapering my DD for almost 2 years! (I didn't start until she was 4 months).

So anyway, if anyone is thinking of doing it - TAKE THE PLUNGE! It was so nice economically (which is why I started it), but so nice knowing too that it was better for the environment!

sharbear 07-10-2012 08:06 PM

Seriously, people buy USED diapers. Like buying used underwear. Ewwww!

TanyaS 07-10-2012 08:10 PM

I'll second the notion. Also a big money saver if you use your cloth diapers for more than one child.

I also sold some of my stash of cloth diapers once my youngest quit needing them (gave others to a home for pregnant teens).

AntePrincess 07-10-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharbear (Post 45441606)

Because what you're going to use them for is really high class and requires a virgin cloth? Bleach it. Parenting is no time to be germaphobic.

angieand3rs 07-10-2012 08:52 PM

I love my cloth diapers! It's saved us thousands between two kids!

sherry7 07-10-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

How is it different from all of the people who use a diaper service that delivers clean cloth diapers each week? Those diapers are washed in super hot water and bleached too.

That being said, I don't cloth diaper. But I work full time, and don't want to deal with the hassle of washing them.

To the OP, I have a 26 month old DD as well. We haven't even started potty training yet, so that's awesome that your DD is already trained. Any tips?

auralia 07-10-2012 10:56 PM

Cloth diapering makes potty training easier because babies bottom feels wetter and more uncomfortable. At least that is my theory.

I use bum genius myself I got all in ones and pockets and ended up selling the organic all in ones and buying more pockets, I sold the used all in ones that I didn't like that much (too long to dry) for 10$ a piece and had several people who wanted them at that price!

wendow 07-10-2012 11:00 PM

I love using cloth! Been a huge money saver for us also. Our diapers have been through multiple babies so not sure I'll have too many worth selling but we've still saved hundreds. Maybe thousands :)

BubMunkeyBles 07-10-2012 11:55 PM

Totally agree. We have a huge CD stash but I'll get at least 80% of it back.

danceintherain 07-11-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

A lot of what people end up spending the most money on is the covers, which is really no different than buying second hand jeans.

Either way, OP! I'm glad it worked out so well for you. I've considered going to cloth, but laundry is one of my least favorite things, so until I have that mastered, I can't justify switching over.

swtmommie2four 07-11-2012 04:50 AM

I have a bunch to sell...where did you sell them?

adventure_woman 07-11-2012 05:37 AM

I sold them off Craigslist...could have sold more too! If not there, you can go online to babycenter or diaper swappers.com.

I'm still really surprised and shocked that she is trained...she even tells me when she has to go! I just introduced it to her, and it just clicked I guess! Much easier than her older sister.

J3nn78 07-11-2012 09:26 AM

I love using cloth diapers. I used them with my first two and will again. Definitely saves money.
Totally worth buying used from diaper swappers.com. Allows you to try out different types to see what works best for you and your baby before committing to a whole bunch. Never thought twice about buying used. Baby poop and pee gets on lots of their regular clothing too and gets washed and sold or donated. No big deal. Not quite the same as used adult underwear.

smile5sunshine 07-11-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swtmommie2four (Post 45444068)
I have a bunch to sell...where did you sell them?

You can also list them on Spot's Corner on Hyenacart:

http://hyenacart.com/stores/Spots_corner/

Sunshine

bettymae1121 07-11-2012 11:23 AM

I have Sunbaby diapers too, love them! Bought them new and paid $150 for 24 shells and 48 inserts. Have been doing it for about 4 months now and couldn't be easier. And what a savings!