The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Mousekeeping and Towel Animals (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2943260)

PHLtoMCO 06-15-2012 06:33 PM

Mousekeeping and Towel Animals
 
2 weeks ago we returned from a 10 day stay at the Poly. I've read on here several DISers asking how often Mousekeeping will make one for your room and some others upset because they didn't see too many on their trips and I just wanted to share our experience:

While it's not guarenteed mousekeeping will make a towel animal every day or at all, we tipped Mousekeeping each day ($15) for their hard work, rather than one big tip at the end of our stay, and they made my daughter something everyday. One day we even walked in and saw a towel monkey hanging from a pant hanger with eyeball stickers on it! Very cute and different; I had never seen that before! :woohoo:

Mousekeeping also decides on late checkout for each room (we were told by CM at front desk) so it might be nice to even throw them a few extra bucks in their tips if you can afford it. ;)

Anyway just wanted to share!!

gardenia 06-15-2012 07:41 PM

Tips do not buy towel animals. Proven over and over. Also, housekeeping is a non-tipped position.

PHLtoMCO 06-15-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gardenia (Post 45195293)
Tips do not buy towel animals. Proven over and over. Also, housekeeping is a non-tipped position.

Sharing my experience only as i stated in the beginning of the post. I also stated there is no guarentee you would get a towel animal.

I've never gone to Disney World and not tipped Mousekeeping.

mickeye 06-15-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gardenia (Post 45195293)
Also, housekeeping is a non-tipped position.

What does this mean? Everyone I know tips housekeeping everywhere including at WDW. It's a well established fact at WDW. Has this been changed just recently? If so when? I don't want to spend money that I don't have to, but at the same time I'm certainly not going to cheat the girls out of something they have earned. Has anyone else heard anything about this? :confused3
BTW, PHL, you use the same airport as we do! Same hometown, too! Good luck on your ten miler!

owl0306 06-15-2012 07:52 PM

I never tip housekeeping at a hotel.

next time you check in at a disney resort as the cast member and they will tell you it is not a tipped position

and I always get towel animals without tipping.

PHLtoMCO 06-15-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by owl0306 (Post 45195367)
I never tip housekeeping at a hotel.

next time you check in at a disney resort as the cast member and they will tell you it is not a tipped position

and I always get towel animals without tipping.

Again sharing my experience and not at all implying that you won't get a towel animal if you don't tip. Not the case.

I've never asked the front desk about tipping Mousekeeping because I always assumed it was customary. I am in a different hotel every week for work and we are encouraged to tip housekeeping. In fact, we can expense it. Not a problem since I always tip anyway and I do the same when I travel for pleasure too. To each their own :)

mmouse50 06-15-2012 08:03 PM

I always tip housekeeping at a hotel and I am not a messy person - I believe that housekeeping sometimes works harder than a waiter/waitress at a restaurant but because you don't see housekeeping people believe that they shouldn't tip them. A waiter/waitress can be just so/so and people will still tip them.

And yes I realize that some will argue that it is not a tipped position but neither is the valet parking / bell services but people will tip them - because they interact with them.

PHLtoMCO 06-15-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmouse50 (Post 45195455)
I always tip housekeeping at a hotel and I am not a messy person - I believe that housekeeping sometimes works harder than a waiter/waitress at a restaurant but because you don't see housekeeping people believe that they shouldn't tip them. A waiter/waitress can be just so/so and people will still tip them.

And yes I realize that some will argue that it is not a tipped position but neither is the valet parking / bell services but people will tip them - because they interact with them.

Well said :thumbsup2

usd2bmd 06-15-2012 08:12 PM

[SIZWe always tip as well. On one visit at CBR when we were checking out, mousekeeping was outside when we were taking our luggage down to check in for our flight. We had set up the animals that they had made for us on our trip in the window so people could see as they passed by. She asked us why we weren't taking them with us, that they were made for us. Unfortunately we didn't have the room in our luggage, but it would have been awesome to bring the lovebirds that they made home with us as we celebrated our anniversary on that trip.E="2"][/SIZE]

PHLtoMCO 06-15-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickeye (Post 45195342)
BTW, PHL, you use the same airport as we do! Same hometown, too! Good luck on your ten miler!

thank you! Which part are you in??

firstwdw 06-15-2012 08:34 PM

We NEVER got ANY towel animals at WL in May. VERY disappointing-not even one! And it was clear there were was young children staying in the room.

PHLtoMCO 06-15-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firstwdw (Post 45195701)
We NEVER got ANY towel animals at WL in May. VERY disappointing-not even one! And it was clear there were was young children staying in the room.

I'm sorry that you didn't get any. That is disappointing for the kids.

LovinPooh 06-15-2012 08:49 PM

My DD runs back to the room everyday looking for towel animals. They are pretty cool what they can do with a washcloth lol. I always tip and have had dif thigns happen. Pop, we got all kinds of them. POFQ, we got one and we put it on the shelf with a stuffed animal and the maid actually took it back. Yep, we saw it on her cart that afternoon. Dont know why... CBR, we got 2. And yes, I know all this cause I have a DD who loves them. I could care less lol. The POFQ maid really upset me. I know the towels are WDWs, but really?? Take it back when the person checks out. We also had dirty towels left in bags outside our room there everyday. I just dont think she liked us lol

si-am 06-15-2012 09:02 PM

On our trip last year, we tipped $3-$4 a day and got towel animals every day.

$15 a day?! OP, you got ripped off! ;) :rotfl:

PHLtoMCO 06-15-2012 09:04 PM

We've always tipped $5/day per person in our room. That's just what we do and it's not to get towel animals. We appreciate everything they do and sometimes we can be pretty messy. No need to judge :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.