The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Dining Reviews (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Mom & Son-One More Time w/Dad! 11 days of DxDDP-10/21, Grand Finale, FF Chef's Table! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2942988)

GoofySon'sMom 06-15-2012 10:10 AM

Mom & Son-One More Time w/Dad! 11 days of DxDDP-10/21, Grand Finale, FF Chef's Table!
 
Final dining plans are in post #8 on this page. Links to be there once the review starts!


Hello, Hello and welcome to the next Mom & Son plus Dad Deluxe food review! My first dining review was after a very special Mom & Son trip in 2008 when DS was 12.
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...mage280_00.jpg

That trip was extra special and DS really branched out with his food choices trying many new things. Thus a foodie was born!
In 2009, we brought Dad along for a Christmas trip :santa: …
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...9/img_0767.jpg

Then 2010, we were off to Disneyland for the first time!
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...0/img_1287.jpg

2011 it was back to WDW for what I truly thought would be our last trip as a family.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...1/img_2350.jpg

DS had been saying that he wanted to consider other spots for vacation this year as he is now 16. Well, last trip was our best trip ever and at the end DS was asking me to book bounceback before we left. :banana: I told him that I thought he was drinking the Disney koolaid and that he would regret it because once Mom books, it is a done deal! No going back. He insisted and thru this year’s plans began! :woohoo:

Initial it was going to be a toned down (read, less expensive!) trip. We booked bounceback free dining at Coronado Springs and paid the difference to upgrade to deluxe. 8 nights from 8/25 thru 9/2. Then my Bank instituted a policy that we must all take two weeks vacation together with no exceptions. So now DS and I are flying to Fort Lauderdale on 8/18 to visit my sister. And it is a perfect reason to add a couple more days to our trip!! :cool1: A room only discount came out and we were able to book Animal Kingdom Lodge on 8/23 and 8/24! Yay! :cheer2: So now DS and I are taking the train from Ft. Laud to Kissimmee on 8/23. DH is flying in on 8/24. But what?! It is actually cheaper to fly out on 9/3 than on 9/2! Yay – one more day! :yay: Haven’t actually booked our room only on 9/2 yet … really debating on spending the money to stay at a Lion King suite at Art of Animation. I really, really want to but it is a lot of money when we really would only be there to sleep. So I may book at All Star Movies because we have never stayed there and I love Toy Story! Plus some day I want to be able to say that I have stayed at all of the Resorts.

Ok, enough about the trip, what about us?

I am DMom – 40 something and obviously pooh-sized. I have been fooling around with Weight Watchers and lost about 25 pounds but have stalled. Going to try to recommit to the gym to lose a bit more and be in a bit better shape before the trip. We’ll see how that goes. I love most food but not seafood or lamb. Well, I am just realizing that I do like scallops and clams. I do like spicy but not super hot. Love most veggies more than fruits. And do enjoy some adult beverages!

DH is also 40 something and truly will eat anything. Doesn’t offer many opinions about where he wants to eat & just follows along with where DS and I want to go. He does enjoy Disney but is not nearly as obsessed as I am.

DS is 16 and doesn’t admit it but really is as big of a Disney nut as I am. I asked him one time what he would do if his future wife didn’t like Disney and his response was, “obviously she wouldn’t be my wife!”. :rotfl: He has always preferred filet mignon to Mickey D’s but used to eat his food plain. Now he is really quite the foodies and seems to enjoy trying new things. Oddly enough, lamb is one of his favorites and since I do not make it at home, he eats it fairly often when we go out.

So next post will be our dining plans ... after many, many, MANY changes, I think it is the final lineup! :upsidedow

emmysmommy 06-15-2012 12:53 PM

How wonderful to see your new review coming!!! I'm looking forward to hearing all about it!!!!

You are better than me if you can say that you have your FINAL dining line up already for August! It is this site that makes me keep changing my ADRs. ha ha!


Are you by any chance a Red Sox fan?? :rolleyes1

jabead 06-15-2012 01:47 PM

How wonderful that you are going to have another trip to enjoy with your son! I know what you mean when you say that you never know if this trip to Disney World is your last with him, as I too have a 16 year old son. Thankfully, he is still willing to go along for my sake (actually I think he enjoys it almost as much as I do, but that's our little secret ;)) and is already talking to me about our next trip (no dates in mind yet but will hopefully be sometime next year). The only catch is that he wants to bring his girlfriend next time! :lmao:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your final dining plans. And I won't hold it against you if you continue to make changes. For me, that's just part of the Disney trip planning process...one of my favorite parts! ;)

GoofySon'sMom 06-15-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emmysmommy (Post 45191673)
How wonderful to see your new review coming!!! I'm looking forward to hearing all about it!!!!

You are better than me if you can say that you have your FINAL dining line up already for August! It is this site that makes me keep changing my ADRs. ha ha!


Are you by any chance a Red Sox fan?? :rolleyes1

Me, a Red Sox fan? Hmmm... let me think! :rotfl: Yes, ma'am we are and we live in Yankee country!

Your reviews made me make several changes! But I really do think I am set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabead (Post 45192254)
How wonderful that you are going to have another trip to enjoy with your son! I know what you mean when you say that you never know if this trip to Disney World is your last with him, as I too have a 16 year old son. Thankfully, he is still willing to go along for my sake (actually I think he enjoys it almost as much as I do, but that's our little secret ;)) and is already talking to me about our next trip (no dates in mind yet but will hopefully be sometime next year). The only catch is that he wants to bring his girlfriend next time! :lmao:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your final dining plans. And I won't hold it against you if you continue to make changes. For me, that's just part of the Disney trip planning process...one of my favorite parts! ;)

I think DS likes it as much as I as well but won't admit it. DH is pushing for us to take a Mom & Son only trip next year before DS starts his senior year. Even though I feel guilty that DH may not come along, I admit that I would love it!

wilma-bride 06-15-2012 02:26 PM

Loved your last reviews and really looking forward to your next. We are at WDW the same time as you also - looks like there will be plenty of us DISers around :thumbsup2

iloveeeyore 06-15-2012 05:28 PM

We will miss you by a few weeks...we are going the beginning of August. I can relate to "needing" to extend the trip to reduce the price of the airfare! We would much rather give our money to Disney than JetBlue. I had forgotten you are a Sox fan...I blocked that out about you! ;)

Can't wait to see the lineup!

GoofySon'sMom 06-15-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilma-bride (Post 45192631)
Loved your last reviews and really looking forward to your next. We are at WDW the same time as you also - looks like there will be plenty of us DISers around :thumbsup2

Thank you & welcome! Definitely a lot of Disers at the end of August! :thumbsup2

Quote:

Originally Posted by iloveeeyore (Post 45194345)
We will miss you by a few weeks...we are going the beginning of August. I can relate to "needing" to extend the trip to reduce the price of the airfare! We would much rather give our money to Disney than JetBlue. I had forgotten you are a Sox fan...I blocked that out about you! ;)

Can't wait to see the lineup!

:rotfl: And I will forget that you are probably a Yankee fan!

GoofySon'sMom 06-15-2012 07:25 PM

Ok so back in February when I made our ADRs, I told myself that I was going to stick with my initial plan and not make any changes. Ok, seriously? What was I thinking!

So first we were going to do all of the signatures. Then we realized that we really don't like to go into the Parks after a signature meal so that had to change or we would miss too much night Park time.

Then I was going to try mostly new restaurants. Then I went back to old favorites. Then I started reading dining reviews. I am really making myself crazy trying to eat everywhere in 11 days. As we all know, that is just not possible. So this is the best I could do!

Ok, so the first two days are out of pocket -

Arrival Day, Thursday, August 23rd - this day is just DS and I.

Mara Lunch
Flying Fish Chef's Table for Dinner

August 24th

Breakfast at Boma
Lunch at Sanaa (DH arrives!)
Free AKL Culinary Tour - Since we ate at all of the restaurants, we skipped this
Dinner at Jiko

August 25th - Check out of AKL and into Coronado


Breakfast at Main Street Bakery
Lunch at The Plaza
Dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse

August 26th

Breakfast at Crystal Palace
Snacking the MK
Dinner at The Wave
Wishes Dessert Party We got a refund because of Isaac

August 27th

Lunch at Hollywood Brown Derby
Dinner at La Hacienda

August 28th

Breakfast at Cape May Cafe
Yak & Yeti Lunch
Dinner at California Grill with a surprise!

August 29th

Lunch at Le Cellier
A Wonderful Dismeet
Dinner at Artist Point

August 30th

Breakfast at 'Ohana
Lunch at Via Napoli
Dinner at Narcoossees

August 31st

Snacking around the World
Dinner at Tokyo Dining

September 1st

Breakfast at Starring Rolls - Cupcakes!
Lunch at Mama Melroses
Dinner at Chefs de France
Illuminations Cruise

September 2nd - Check out of Coronado and into All Star Movies

Breakfat of MK Snacks
Lunch at Tony's Town Square
Dinner at 'Ohana


We leave early on September 3rd so we will probably use snack credits for some airport/airplane treats.

So there you have it. Now lets see if I can actually stop messing with the plan! :rolleyes1


martinolichfamily 06-15-2012 07:50 PM

I'm in! :goodvibes

vettegirl 06-15-2012 07:55 PM

Sounds like you are going to have a great time. See you are dining at some of my favs :thumbsup2

GoofySon'sMom 06-15-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martinolichfamily (Post 45195353)
I'm in! :goodvibes

Quote:

Originally Posted by vettegirl (Post 45195395)
Sounds like you are going to have a great time. See you are dining at some of my favs :thumbsup2

Welcome! Thanks for joining in!

I hate wishing the summer away, but I really cannot wait for this trip!

DonaldDoleWhip 06-15-2012 08:26 PM

Great itinerary! So many places I'm looking forward to hearing about: the Wanyama Safari (dinner sounds like a fun sampling of Jiko offerings), Yachtsman, Brown Derby, and Artist Point (some of my true favorites), CRT breakfast (I've been wanting to hear more about their updated menu), Trail's End lunch (I was pleasantly surprised when I went there, but it's so rarely reviewed), and of course everything else. :laughing:

emmysmommy 06-15-2012 08:27 PM

I compared your ADRs to ours since we are planning to eat at some of the same places but we are off by a day or two for most of them! But you know... some of mine are still subject to change. :laughing:

Your trip itinerary and dining line up look great!

blairzo 06-16-2012 11:19 AM

Sounds like a great time! I can't wait to hear about your Illuminations Cruise! I am wanting to do that on our trip in April. Was it easy to book? You said you're "sharing" it, what does that mean?
Can't wait to read your reviews!:banana:

GoofySon'sMom 06-16-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip (Post 45195623)
Great itinerary! So many places I'm looking forward to hearing about: the Wanyama Safari (dinner sounds like a fun sampling of Jiko offerings), Yachtsman, Brown Derby, and Artist Point (some of my true favorites), CRT breakfast (I've been wanting to hear more about their updated menu), Trail's End lunch (I was pleasantly surprised when I went there, but it's so rarely reviewed), and of course everything else. :laughing:

I don't remember your Trails End review ... may have to go search for it. We have never been to Ft Wilderness and wanted to check it out in general, then DS realized there are chicken & waffles on the menu so the ADR was needed!

I am really looking forward to the Jiko dinner with the safari. It will be nice to sample so many things.


Quote:

Originally Posted by emmysmommy (Post 45195626)
I compared your ADRs to ours since we are planning to eat at some of the same places but we are off by a day or two for most of them! But you know... some of mine are still subject to change. :laughing:

Your trip itinerary and dining line up look great!

Too bad our days are off. Maybe we'll be in EPCOT at the same time to meet up for a beverage!

Quote:

Originally Posted by blairzo (Post 45199465)
Sounds like a great time! I can't wait to hear about your Illuminations Cruise! I am wanting to do that on our trip in April. Was it easy to book? You said you're "sharing" it, what does that mean?
Can't wait to read your reviews!:banana:

I booked the Cruise (very easy) and then posted here on the Dis for families to share. So we basically invited two families to join us and split the cost. DS and I shared a Wishes Cruise with two other Dis families on our Mom & Son trip. If you can, I say book it and then post for folks that want to share.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.