The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   ***OFFICIAL Grand Floridian Construction Thread (new info!)*** (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2932302)

andyman8 05-26-2012 03:25 PM

***OFFICIAL Grand Floridian Construction Thread (new info!)***
 
With the hectic construction occurring at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, I have created a three to compile all of the information on the internet into a series of easy-to-read and simple-to-access pages. I will do my best to continually update this thread with the latest information and would appreciate it if any posters would post information they have on the matter. I will, also, continue to post updates on the progress of the construction on my website disneyparksplanning.com! The project is expected to be completed sometime by the end of 2013 with the work on the Beach Pool Bar ending this August. Please bump this thread, so all DISers can stay up to date! Stay tuned and thanks!

News Stories
Update with Photos from July 26, 2012
Update with Photos from May 23, 2012
Update with Photos from May 3, 2012
PHOTOS - Grand Floridian Beach Pool Bar & Grill Reopens

Photos
http://images2.wdwmagic.com/app_imag...D73LCXQPO2WCKQ

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/...e/54ad7891.jpg

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/...e/44043f41.jpg

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...egrl20/141.jpg

http://wdwnewstoday.com/wp-content/u...9W-800x531.jpg

Videos Courtesy of JeffLangDVD
Video from April 5, 2012
Video from March 20, 2012
Video from December 9, 2011

Other Resort Refurbishments
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa will also undergo several refurbishments from now until December 2012. The Courtyard Pool will be closed from mid September to December 2012 when it will be converted into a zero-depth entry pool. The Spa will be reopening sometime between the end of this year and "early 2013." Here are some other refurbishments occurring.

Sandy Cove Merchandise: August 21 to November 17, 2012
Ivy Trellis Salon: October 20 to December 3, 2012
Gasparilla Grill & Games: September 13 to Mid December, 2012
Courtyard Pool: Mid September to Late December, 2012
The Spa: September 19, 2011 to 2013
*Guests will be able to use DDP credits at Mizner's and Beach Pool Bar to purchase QS food at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

DebbieB 05-26-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyman8 (Post 44997991)
We just booked an awesome deal for Fourth of July Weekend at Grand Floridian. I am guessing it was a "renovation rate" because of all the work going on there. Here's my question, though:

I know, as of April 2012, there was a temporary "wall" surrounding the Beach Pool. What are the chances it will be gone by July? The beach pool is one of our favorite spots and the "walls" just seem to detract from the experience. Just wondering.

Not likely, the new DVC building is not scheduled to be complete until the end of next year. It will stay up probably until it's ready to open.

TheRustyScupper 05-26-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyman8 (Post 44997991)
. . . What are the chances it will be gone by July? . . .

1) Still there.
2) No chance of removal by July.

WDWKOOK 05-26-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyman8 (Post 44997991)
We just booked an awesome deal for Fourth of July Weekend at Grand Floridian. I am guessing it was a "renovation rate" because of all the work going on there. Here's my question, though:

I know, as of April 2012, there was a temporary "wall" surrounding the Beach Pool. What are the chances it will be gone by July? The beach pool is one of our favorite spots and the "walls" just seem to detract from the experience. Just wondering.

Not a "renovation rate," especially since no renovations are going on at the GF - only the construction next door of the GF DVC. However,you bring up a valid point, there should be a reduced rate, especially for those booking RPC since their view is the most affected and those rooms are the priciest rack rate standard rooms on property.

I hope you have a great vacation!

turningleaf 05-26-2012 09:34 PM

Just got back from GF today. That wall will def still be there in July. The construction is in full swing - mostly ground work and first storey - although this did not affect our Beach Pool experience. You can see the cranes over the wall though. We stayed in an outer building and didn't see the construction unless we were at the Beach Pool.

At the Main Pool, I asked about the Marshmallow Roast and they said they do not have it right now because of most of the beach being walled off.

andyman8 05-26-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turningleaf (Post 45000310)
Just got back from GF today. That wall will def still be there in July. The construction is in full swing - mostly ground work and first storey - although this did not affect our Beach Pool experience. You can see the cranes over the wall though. We stayed in an outer building and didn't see the construction unless we were at the Beach Pool.

At the Main Pool, I asked about the Marshmallow Roast and they said they do not have it right now because of most of the beach being walled off.

This is my concern. We love chilling on the beach. Is there any beach not walled off?

turningleaf 05-26-2012 10:08 PM

Hi, I was just over on the GF thread and I believe I just read that the whole beach is walled off and the hammocks are gone. You might want to check over there to be sure.

CoachBagFanatic 05-27-2012 07:36 AM

below is a video from YouTube that will show you just how much of the beach is left starting at 41 seconds. Hope this helps you out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxNai5-Jzro

k&a&c'smom 05-27-2012 08:11 AM

As others have posted, it is not likely the walls will be down any time this year, as the construction is projected at least through late 2013.

Do you mind posting what great deal you found? So far, I've only seen the AP rate and a Summer code that is 20% off rack - not so wonderful to my mind, as many of the other deluxe resorts are up to 30% off. I've been quite vocal about my disappointment at the lower discount for a resort having such major construction impacting a good portion of the resort's amenities.:headache:

CoachBagFanatic - great video, you need to post that over on the FAQ.;)

andyman8 05-27-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom (Post 45002140)
As others have posted, it is not likely the walls will be down any time this year, as the construction is projected at least through late 2013.

Do you mind posting what great deal you found? So far, I've only seen the AP rate and a Summer code that is 20% off rack - not so wonderful to my mind, as many of the other deluxe resorts are up to 30% off. I've been quite vocal about my disappointment at the lower discount for a resort having such major construction impacting a good portion of the resort's amenities.:headache:

CoachBagFanatic - great video, you need to post that over on the FAQ.;)

I agree! The only real reason we are staying here was because the Polynesian and Contemporary were MORE expensive. Anyways, we are FL Residents. The CM on the phone told me that they had "upped" the Florida Resident discount at GF because of all the construction.

On another nother, CoachBagFanactic, thanks for the video. It really is a bummer. I don't see why anything past the end of the Beach Pool needs to be closed off. Just seems a bit "unnecessary?" Oh, thanks everyone for all your help! It's great!

ETA: This is what I thought was walled off but apparently there is now more, so this photo is outdated. This is what should be walled off, not most of the beach.

http://wdwnewstoday.com/wp-content/u...9W-800x531.jpg

CoachBagFanatic 05-27-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom (Post 45002140)
CoachBagFanatic - great video, you need to post that over on the FAQ.;)

If my memory serves me correctly, our good friend BCV23 posted this or one similar on the GF thread but I couldn't find her post this morning on the thread to refer back to it. There's a lot of chatting going on over there and I know it's there somewhere.;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyman8 (Post 45002198)
On another nother, CoachBagFanactic, thanks for the video. It really is a bummer. I don't see why anything past the end of the Beach Pool needs to be closed off. Just seems a bit "unnecessary?" Oh, thanks everyone for all your help! It's great!

ETA: This is what I thought was walled off but apparently there is now more, so this photo is outdated. This is what should be walled off, not most of the beach.

http://wdwnewstoday.com/wp-content/u...9W-800x531.jpg

Oh I completely understand and this is the reason why we are only staying at the GF for two nights instead of 8. At least we get our GF fix in until the construction is done.

That photo was from when they first started enlarging the ground area. Well they do think they need to take that much of the beach as they have to access the pipes that are over by the pool bar. mindy20 posted a photo on page 236 of the GF thread showing them digging in the dirt access what I believe to be pipes.

andyman8 05-27-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachBagFanatic (Post 45002935)
If my memory serves me correctly, our good friend BCV23 posted this or one similar on the GF thread but I couldn't find her post this morning on the thread to refer back to it. There's a lot of chatting going on over there and I know it's there somewhere.;)


Oh I completely understand and this is the reason why we are only staying at the GF for two nights instead of 8. At least we get our GF fix in until the construction is done.

That photo was from when they first started enlarging the ground area. Well they do think they need to take that much of the beach as they have to access the pipes that are over by the pool bar. mindy20 posted a photo on page 236 of the GF thread showing them digging in the dirt access what I believe to be pipes.

Just saw the picture. So are they getting rid of that beach by the Beach Pool? I'm in construction and development and know that inserting pipes into the ground won't take more than a month and a half. Once that is completed, is it possible that park of the beach will be reopened or, again, are they just getting rid of it?

For those there, please post pictures of the construction. I am following this carefully.

CoachBagFanatic 05-27-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyman8 (Post 45003500)
Just saw the picture. So are they getting rid of that beach by the Beach Pool? I'm in construction and development and know that inserting pipes into the ground won't take more than a month and a half. Once that is completed, is it possible that park of the beach will be reopened or, again, are they just getting rid of it?

For those there, please post pictures of the construction. I am following this carefully.

I can't see them getting rid of the beach all together but until that part is done, I am assuming the beach will be closed. Not that this will help you any, but we will be there June 25th which I know is close to your trip, but I will take pictures when I go. Did you take a lot at the GF thread. I do know that there are some people that are going soon or are there as we speak.

I truly understand your concerns and dilemma as the beach pool/beach is one of the reasons why we love the GF so much. The construction is the reason why we have only decided to stay there for two nights instead of the 8.

turningleaf 05-27-2012 12:26 PM

We just spent 2 nights at GF and had only 25% off the rack rate as FL residents. I wish I had booked through bounceback back in March as that was 35%. Did you get a better rate than 25%? I would like to know maybe next time I'll try to call instead of booking online.

Thanks.

andyman8 05-27-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turningleaf (Post 45003953)
We just spent 2 nights at GF and had only 25% off the rack rate as FL residents. I wish I had booked through bounceback back in March as that was 35%. Did you get a better rate than 25%? I would like to know maybe next time I'll try to call instead of booking online.

Thanks.

I believe we, too, got 25% off the rack rates as FL Residents. That being said, this is in the middle of Fourth of July. Also, the discounts at the other monorail resorts were only 5-15% off:scared1:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.