The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disneyland Trip Reports (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Birthday Surprise on the Fly (Updated 10/13-World of Color pg3) (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2928546)

anewmac 05-19-2012 03:01 AM

Birthday Surprise on the Fly (Updated 10/13-World of Color pg3)
 
*Birthday Surprise on the Fly*

I have really gotten into posting trip reports ever since our Disney Cruise in 2008 (see links in my signature). The DIS hooked what can I say. Sadly though Im not a very good writer... and I mean this in so many different ways. Spelling, grammer, and just generally keeping up with posting. (I will tell you now, a week cruise takes me a year to finish) So if your still in for the LONG haul welcome! Actually were only doing 3days this time so it should only take me about 6months :rotfl2:!

Before I go any further let me introduce my crew:

DH- Elbert (aka E, Mac) US Marine debating retirement.... ugg :sad2: dont get me started! (I'm sure I'll vent about that later)

Me- Drea, wife of the Marine, Mom of 2 boys. Suffers from a case of OCVP (Obsessive Compulsive Vacation Planning, like most on this board, but I will tell you this trip it probably will not make an appearance :scared:.)

DS#1- Phoenix (aka P, Bubba) age 13 turning 14 :bday: on the Saturday we are at Dland. PlayStation efficianoto, the "whatever" kid, protecter of his lil brother (most the time)

DS#2- Justice (aka J, GG) soon to be 10, lover of cars... and food (kid after his moms own heart!), the "OK" kid, idolizes his big brother (most the time)

Here we are on our last vacation in 2011 a Carnival Cruise
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...1/scan0065.jpg

Normally we (I) have our plans laid out MONTHS in advanced. I know pretty much what we are doing daily if not hourly. But not for this trip. In fact we will be in Dland in 7days and I havent even booked the hotel. :scared1: There are different reasons for my lack of planning this time.
  • Just recently about 2 weeks ago P said instead of a party or anything all he wanted to do was go to Dland with his family. I asked what he really was buttering us up for but he said no that was all. I still dont believe him but how can I turn down a trip to see my Girl Cindy!princess:
  • We live 2hours from the mouses house, so normally we just do a day then head home. But since its for P's bday I figure we would make a nice weekend out of it. Plus work has been killing me, and E so we really need a getaway.
  • We've been to the Magic Kingdom many a times so it not like we dont know it. We usually hit it once a year (I know you die hard DIS'ers are going REALLY only once a year).. so I bring you back to my DH is in the Military we dont live the lifestyles of the rich and famous off his paycheck or mine LOL.
  • Ive been so busy fundraising, I sadly just havent had any energy to really PLAN things for this trip. (See I signed up to do the Susan G. Komen 3day 60mile walk and need to raise $2300 fin order to participate. So if anyone would like to help donate a link is at the bottom! shamless plug over LOL)

Lets see Ive covered the title regarding the Birthday part (P's bday), the Fly (no plans), as for the surprize. WELLLLL, when P asked to go to Dland, E looked at me (I have trained him well) and I said dude way to expensive sorry sweetie, he was very understanding. Plus its over the Memorial holiday that wont be fun (ok this part is kind of true but E and I didnt have much other time off, so it was now or never). I said we can do dinner and a movie with a friend if you like, and he shrugged and said ok thats fine. Awww I love when they are so sweet... and GULABLE .:lmao:. E and I were fine with doing Dland especially since they have a Military discount 3day park hoppers for $99 each. YEAH BUDDY!:thumbsup2. So P has NO clue.

There was going to be an added surprize of them not having to go to school on Friday as we were going to pull them out for the day. But our school district just announced (last week) a cut so Friday will be a furlough day for the teachers, which means no school for the kids. Darn it was hoping lots of others would still be in school that day so the crowds wouldnt be TOO BAD lol.

Now within the next 6days I hope to get a lil planning done. At least a hotel for us to stay in as we are not doing the 2hour drive back and forth to home or the 45mins to my grandmas. I have always wanted to stay in the Disney hotel or one of those, but ya at those prices... not this time! I do need to do a little packing for us its only 3day but we still need a change of clothes LOL. Also a few places semi planned to pick from for either Breakfast or Dinner.

Stay tuned I usually am a lil more witty and excited, and I promise to be next chapter just tired tonight, its late, had to work and had a fundraiser. Man I just sound like a bore.. I swear I really am a funny girl!:rotfl2: Full of excitement. :cheer2:

Easy Click on Chapters
Pre Trip
Sleeping in a Cardboard Box
Did someone say SHOPPING???
What's for dinner I'm Starving?
If it can go wrong, it has
P, you just turned 14 where are you going....I'm Going to Disneyland!!!!!!
Where do we start?
A sneak peak of CARSLAND
Hurray for Hollywood Complete with an breakdown from a non actor!
World of Color

Next Up: Sleeping in a cardboard box

MAGICFOR2 05-20-2012 12:59 AM

:cheer2:I'M FIRST! I'M FIRST! I THINK THIS IS THE FIRST TIME FOR ME TO BE FIRST!

I enjoy your writing, the fun comes through - and believe me you know how to have fun more than anyone! What a fun birthday surprise for P! How are you planning to tell him?

Grog 05-20-2012 12:04 PM

Since I really enjoyed your cruise TR, and I love DL, I thought I could get the best of both worlds by subscribing to this thread. Looking forward to hearing about the trip :thumbsup2

anewmac 05-21-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 (Post 44934998)
:cheer2:I'M FIRST! I'M FIRST! I THINK THIS IS THE FIRST TIME FOR ME TO BE FIRST!

I enjoy your writing, the fun comes through - and believe me you know how to have fun more than anyone! What a fun birthday surprise for P! How are you planning to tell him?

I have no clue yet.. any ideas LOL Was thinking maybe getting a hallmark card that plays music and getting a disney inspired one to say SURPRIZE .. or his "gift" (other than the trip) is a knock of flip camera (a minolta or kodak something like that LOL) he has wanted one. And giving it to him on Thursday and saying your gonna need this for for your Bday Weekend! Whatcha think?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grog (Post 44937077)
Since I really enjoyed your cruise TR, and I love DL, I thought I could get the best of both worlds by subscribing to this thread. Looking forward to hearing about the trip :thumbsup2

AWW your so sweet! I have to say I love Dland too. Actually Cali Adventure is my fav cuz you really can do everything in that park in one day even on the busiest day. Thanks for following!

anewmac 05-21-2012 12:49 AM

Sleeping in a cardboard box
 
Sleeping in a cardboard box


So with planning (or lack there of) over a Holiday weekend I was worried I wouldnt find anywhere to stay for 2nights. Or it would be an arm and a leg. and whats a gal with no time or very little options to do... I started getting picky. I checked out the Disney Friends and neighbors website then hotwire, then over to travelocity. I was up till midnight trying to figure it out. I wanted the Ramada Inn MainGate which is right across the street from the parks. Well since I waited so long it was sold out.

So the next one on my list was the Best Western which is RIGHT across the street also. But they didnt have any standard rooms left only a mini suite. Which is 2 queen beds and a sofa bed. Free continental breakfast, refridge, microwave, coffee maker and pool. So I booked it under the NO CAR special but then their website has an area to click and pay for their parking $8 a nite. I added that on and it ended up being under $260. But had I paid for the regulat rack rate it would have been $100 more.

I have a feeling this is going to bite me in the bum, and I will have to pay the difference when we arrive since we are driving there and will have a car. BUT why not try right LMAO. It was the last room available so better to ask for forgivness after the fact right then permission (isnt that how that theory goes? :rolleyes1) **feel free to flame on, I wear repelant!**

How can I pass up on being this close to the Land... this way I dont have to hear whiney kids complaining about walking to and from the parks! (yes those would be my whiney kids LOL. Plus there is an Ihop and a Dennys right near it if we need a late night snack(s)
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...12/bestbuy.jpg

Having booked that I feel some weight lifted off my shoulders. E's going to get the tickets tmrw at work. So thats another weight dropped. Just wish I could drop some of my own weight. Think its too much to try and get rid of 20lbs in 4days LMAO :eek::rotfl2: Ya I dream big!

Next Up: Did someone say.. SHOPPING? :rolleyes1

limace 05-21-2012 10:39 AM

Sounds like my hotel indecision syndrome-ugh. Good job finding a great place to stay! What an awesome surprise for your kids.

MAGICFOR2 05-21-2012 11:15 AM

Great score on the suite! No flames here - in fact, I would say play the Military card. Have E whip out his I.D. and give your last name at check-in. Who is going to give a soldier a hard time? :goodvibes

Tell the boys that walking over from there ends up just as close as the in the parks, and if you had to park and shuttle from their lot out in the Strawberry fields it takes about 45 minutes to get there

Hmmm, surprise? Maybe you could get one of those recordable cards and tell him that way? :confused3 I like your camera idea too!

CRdisMom 05-21-2012 02:28 PM

yippee for a last minute trip..I've stayed at the DL hotel. Nothing special--well it wasn't in '98. They hadn't broken ground on CA yet. I think you will be jsut fine with the no car deal. I want lots of photos. I'm dying to see how it all has changed. Ya know this is how I plan on vacationing for the rest of the year...thru everyone elses trip. hahaha.

anewmac 05-22-2012 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limace (Post 44944981)
Sounds like my hotel indecision syndrome-ugh. Good job finding a great place to stay! What an awesome surprise for your kids.

Im going to remember to look into renting point to stay at the Dland hotel (1 of them) for a next trip someday LOL. Just so I can cross it off my bucket list

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 (Post 44945369)
Great score on the suite! No flames here - in fact, I would say play the Military card. Have E whip out his I.D. and give your last name at check-in. Who is going to give a soldier a hard time? :goodvibes
HA I totally thought that too.. I was surprized their website didnt have a government discount.

Tell the boys that walking over from there ends up just as close as the in the parks, and if you had to park and shuttle from their lot out in the Strawberry fields it takes about 45 minutes to get there
Ya we have done that before, its no fun IMO. Plus I didnt want to pay $25 for parking a day. or whatever god awful amount it is now. Also wanted to be close enough to go back if they wanted to nap or if it was hot to dip in the pool. Since we dont HAVE to go diehard at the parks cuz its not like we have NEVER been (unlike when we went to WDW)

Hmmm, surprise? Maybe you could get one of those recordable cards and tell him that way? :confused3 I like your camera idea too!

OHH I love that idea too. K going to hit up Halmark tmrw on my lunch break to see if I can find a Disney one!:thumbsup2

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRdisMom (Post 44947527)
yippee for a last minute trip..I've stayed at the DL hotel. Nothing special--well it wasn't in '98. They hadn't broken ground on CA yet. I think you will be jsut fine with the no car deal. I want lots of photos. I'm dying to see how it all has changed. Ya know this is how I plan on vacationing for the rest of the year...thru everyone elses trip. hahaha.

Well its been redone recently and now all the headboard light up nothing GREAT but still magical... swoon :hug: LOL Click here to see a Youtube video on the new rooms. I plan on doing lots of pics. I got a new camera for xmas and am finally learning how to use it LOL (DONT JUDGE ME :lmao:) So Im going for creative shots, I might take some with the boys it it too. :rotfl2:

Well I hope to make it entertaining then for you! And you know for sure I will have a tasty beverage for ya! :rolleyes1

anewmac 05-22-2012 02:22 AM

Did someone say SHOPPING???
 
Did someone say SHOPPING???

After work I hit up the Disney store to get the boys a new tshirt. Were not into matching or anything but I know its fun to wear mouse gear.. plus it looks cute in pics! They had a deal going 2 for $28, which meant everyone got a new shirt YEAH! :goodvibes

This is what I got myself (since all my ol shirts from the cruise seem to have shrank... weird?:confused3)
http://cdn.s7.disneystore.com/is/ima...merclistlarge$

Got this one for E.. figure its not too cutesy that he wont mind wearing it.. maybe..
http://cdn.s7.disneystore.com/is/ima...merclistlarge$

This one for P.. also not so dorky/cutsy so I think he will wear it.. I hope?
http://cdn.s7.disneystore.com/is/ima...merclistlarge$

and this one for J. Which is perfect cuz he LOVES Steamboat Willey
http://cdn.s7.disneystore.com/is/ima...merclistlarge$

Found out P has outgrown all his shorts too.. well he has a few pairs but he doesnt like them. So guess Weds after J's open house I will take P to get a pair of shorts or 2, yeah more shopping E will LOVE IT lol. Maybe I will find a pair for me too (tell you that closet of mine just is a shrinking room... too bad it doesnt do that to ME! :sad2:

Also need to remember to buy coffee creamers to take with me, I cant drink coffee without flavord creamer (and a bottle of Kaluha! :cool1: well on vacation that is!).

Next Up: What's for dinner I'm Starving?

monkey30 05-22-2012 10:40 AM

I am joining in!

Love the surprise trip, I wish I lived closer, but that is just not in the cards for us! As for kaluha... yummm, that or Baileys!

anewmac 05-23-2012 01:31 AM

What's for dinner I'm Starving?
 
What's for dinner I'm Starving?

Planning lunch and dinners for us at Dland isnt like WDW. There are SOOO many more options in WDW than Dland.. at least thats how I feel.. probably cuz Ive been to Dland a bazillion times. Were not big into character dinning so thats out. We all have our must haves, for the boys its a churro and me a cinnamon roll while we watch the fireworks. Its our tradition on how we end a great day at the park. My only issue is they closed down Blue Ribbon Bakery and that is where I always got my cinn roll its a tradition to go in there, now I have to go to the Jolly Holiday Bakery. Im sure they taste the same.. but the place wont be :sad1:

Since our hotel will have complimentary breakfast its enough to fill us up and get us out the door into the park. So all I really need to figure out is lunch and dinner..and really I dont need to figure it out cuz we just end up eatting where ever we are in which ever land we happen to be in at that moment when we get hungry.

Regarding Dland, I have always wanted to eat at Blue Bayou, its in the same que as the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, as a kid I always thought that was so neat. But now as the adult that would pay for it, I will wait for an adult only trip to enjoy it LOL. We will probably have burgers one day, pizza the next (or at least the boys will) Im thinking Bengal BBQ for some bacon wrapped asparagus!!

Cali Adventure gets easier.. and better options... Im talking about Rita’s Baja Blenders (HELLO!!!!! RITA!:thumbsup2), then there is always Bayside Brews as for food.. who cares :rotfl2:. Im sure E will like Cocina Cucamonga Mexican Grill, works for me next to RITA!:woohoo:

Then theres downtown where Im sure we will hit up ESPN zone for E. La Brea Bakery is another one of my favs. I dont think we have tried Tortilla Jo's so we may do that one day.
Then to wash it all down a trip to the Uva Bar.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...202012/013.jpg

My friends and I spent one day there and went on like 2 rides all day LOL
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...%202012/41.jpg

Hey I never specified what my Happy Place on earth really is! Does it count that I found a hidden Mickey then? lol
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...%202012/11.jpg

I see there is also a cupcake store there so Im sure we will hit it up for a late night snack to take back to the room, and also at Cafe' Renee they make crepes.. MY FAV! YUP Ill be on the news as that lady that busted out of her clothes at Dland. :rolleyes1 Im ok with it.. just someone remember to get screen shots Ive never been on tv before~:lmao:

OHHH and I got a call today from the Best Western, there was a slight discrepency with my reservation.... I was caught.. read handed! But I just said opps I must have been clicking on the wrong thing since I clicked the car button. They fell for it LOL. So they asked if I had AAA which we dont so I pulled the ol Do you take military Id.. YOU DO! SWEET NIBLETS... and it is only $24 more a day. SCORE.. still better then full rack rate that would have been another $50 LMAO hey thats my bar tab at Ritas one day!:cool1:

Next Up: Let's get Crafty! OHH might wanna get packing too!

MAGICFOR2 05-23-2012 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anewmac (Post 44953308)
Im going to remember to look into renting point to stay at the Dland hotel (1 of them) for a next trip someday LOL. Just so I can cross it off my bucket list


OHH I love that idea too. K going to hit up Halmark tmrw on my lunch break to see if I can find a Disney one!:thumbsup2


Well its been redone recently and now all the headboard light up nothing GREAT but still magical... swoon :hug: LOL Click here to see a Youtube video on the new rooms. I plan on doing lots of pics. I got a new camera for xmas and am finally learning how to use it LOL (DONT JUDGE ME :lmao:) So Im going for creative shots, I might take some with the boys it it too. :rotfl2:

Well I hope to make it entertaining then for you! And you know for sure I will have a tasty beverage for ya! :rolleyes1

Wow! In that video it looks like the 1 bdrm suite is about half the size it was when we stayed there a couple of years ago. Maybe that was the refurb - double the number of rooms :confused3

MAGICFOR2 05-23-2012 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anewmac (Post 44964543)
What's for dinner I'm Starving?

Planning lunch and dinners for us at Dland isnt like WDW. There are SOOO many more options in WDW than Dland.. at least thats how I feel.. probably cuz Ive been to Dland a bazillion times. Were not big into character dinning so thats out. We all have our must haves, for the boys its a churro and me a cinnamon roll while we watch the fireworks. Its our tradition on how we end a great day at the park. My only issue is they closed down Blue Ribbon Bakery and that is where I always got my cinn roll its a tradition to go in there, now I have to go to the Jolly Holiday Bakery. Im sure they taste the same.. but the place wont be :sad1:

Since our hotel will have complimentary breakfast its enough to fill us up and get us out the door into the park. So all I really need to figure out is lunch and dinner..and really I dont need to figure it out cuz we just end up eatting where ever we are in which ever land we happen to be in at that moment when we get hungry.

Regarding Dland, I have always wanted to eat at Blue Bayou, its in the same que as the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, as a kid I always thought that was so neat. But now as the adult that would pay for it, I will wait for an adult only trip to enjoy it LOL. We will probably have burgers one day, pizza the next (or at least the boys will) Im thinking Bengal BBQ for some bacon wrapped asparagus!!

Cali Adventure gets easier.. and better options... Im talking about Rita’s Baja Blenders (HELLO!!!!! RITA!:thumbsup2), then there is always Bayside Brews as for food.. who cares :rotfl2:. Im sure E will like Cocina Cucamonga Mexican Grill, works for me next to RITA!:woohoo:

Then theres downtown where Im sure we will hit up ESPN zone for E. La Brea Bakery is another one of my favs. I dont think we have tried Tortilla Jo's so we may do that one day.
Then to wash it all down a trip to the Uva Bar.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...202012/013.jpg

My friends and I spent one day there and went on like 2 rides all day LOL
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...%202012/41.jpg

Hey I never specified what my Happy Place on earth really is! Does it count that I found a hidden Mickey then? lol
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...%202012/11.jpg

I see there is also a cupcake store there so Im sure we will hit it up for a late night snack to take back to the room, and also at Cafe' Renee they make crepes.. MY FAV! YUP Ill be on the news as that lady that busted out of her clothes at Dland. :rolleyes1 Im ok with it.. just someone remember to get screen shots Ive never been on tv before~:lmao:

OHHH and I got a call today from the Best Western, there was a slight discrepency with my reservation.... I was caught.. read handed! But I just said opps I must have been clicking on the wrong thing since I clicked the car button. They fell for it LOL. So they asked if I had AAA which we dont so I pulled the ol Do you take military Id.. YOU DO! SWEET NIBLETS... and it is only $24 more a day. SCORE.. still better then full rack rate that would have been another $50 LMAO hey thats my bar tab at Ritas one day!:cool1:

Next Up: Let's get Crafty! OHH might wanna get packing too!

Love the Un-planning for a very merry Un-birthday, or something like that! ;)

We always eat wherever we are for lunch, too. I do like the food choices in CA much better for sure. Rita is always friendly too! :thumbsup2 We really enjoyed Taste Pilots Grill last time.

I love walking over to the GardenWalk and going to CPK or Cheesecake factory - or even out to Orangethorpe and going to Joe's Crab Shack - but that's all because we have no restaurants here. :rotfl2: Storyteller's in CG is really good, too!

I'm interested to see if you find a card. :3dglasses

podsnel 05-23-2012 08:14 AM

Cool!! I'm in and going back to read later today! :banana:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.