The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Coping and Compassion (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   My dad is having a valve replacement. (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2924867)

Coachymom 05-11-2012 01:53 PM

My dad is having a valve replacement.
 
My dad has been in congestive heart failure for about seven years due to a calcified valve. He is having a heart catheterization on Tuesday to see the extent of the damage and whether he will need the new valve on Tuesday or if he can wait another couple weeks and have it then.

Our big Disney trip that we have been planing for two years is September 29th to October 6th of this year. This will be my first time traveling to Disney with my parents since 2001 and the first time my children will be traveling to Disney with my parents (ds went one other time without them and this is dd first time going to disney). My dad is BEYOND excited about the trip, as we all are!!!

I am being very optimistic about the procedure and think that he will feel better then ever when it is over. I think he will feel awesome for Disney and will out walk us all, lol. He is worried about not making it through the surgery and if he does, not being able to go on the trip. He has made us promise we will still go if he can't go and take my mom.

I am optimistic as I have said, but I am praying and thiking good positive thoughts!

Does anyone have any experience with his personally or know a family member who has had this done? Let me know.

Thanks for reading and hugs!!!

Southerngirl71 05-11-2012 02:40 PM

Hi,
My mom had open heart surgery in July. It was to replace her aortic valve and she also had one blockage that required bypass. She knew she was born with a defective valve but it came as a big surprise that she needed open heart surgery.

She was having trouble breathing and was weak. She went to the ER on a Saturday and was told she had a viral infection. She felt worse and went to her doctor on a Tuesday and he called an ambulance for her. She was suffering from congestive heart failure. The dr told her she had a 90% chance of surviving the surgery but only gave her a maxiumum of two years to live if she did not have the surgery.

She breezed right through the surgery and recovery. She stayed in ICU for 48 hours and only because of her age. She was discharged five days later.

If is very normal to worry about not making it through surgery. Heck, I was even worried when I had gallbladder surgery. I just knew I would not wake up.

I think your dad will feel so much better after his surgery. My mom did not realize how bad she truly felt until now that she feels so much better.

babyrich 05-11-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coachymom (Post 44859190)
My dad has been in congestive heart failure for about seven years due to a calcified valve. He is having a heart catheterization on Tuesday to see the extent of the damage and whether he will need the new valve on Tuesday or if he can wait another couple weeks and have it then.

Our big Disney trip that we have been planing for two years is September 29th to October 6th of this year. This will be my first time traveling to Disney with my parents since 2001 and the first time my children will be traveling to Disney with my parents (ds went one other time without them and this is dd first time going to disney). My dad is BEYOND excited about the trip, as we all are!!!

I am being very optimistic about the procedure and think that he will feel better then ever when it is over. I think he will feel awesome for Disney and will out walk us all, lol. He is worried about not making it through the surgery and if he does, not being able to go on the trip. He has made us promise we will still go if he can't go and take my mom.

I am optimistic as I have said, but I am praying and thiking good positive thoughts!

Does anyone have any experience with his personally or know a family member who has had this done? Let me know.

Thanks for reading and hugs!!!

I know at least 3 people personally who had heart valve replacement. All did fine during the surgery and all continue to do fine years later. Their ages range from 42-62. I'm sure by October he will be fine. If he still gets tired quickly, rent an ECV to make the day easier on him.

Good luck!:goodvibes

Coachymom 05-14-2012 08:47 AM

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me and your kind words. I am so glad that your mom is better! That sounds like a very scary situation.
It makes me feel better reading her and your story! Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southerngirl71 (Post 44859696)
Hi,
My mom had open heart surgery in July. It was to replace her aortic valve and she also had one blockage that required bypass. She knew she was born with a defective valve but it came as a big surprise that she needed open heart surgery.

She was having trouble breathing and was weak. She went to the ER on a Saturday and was told she had a viral infection. She felt worse and went to her doctor on a Tuesday and he called an ambulance for her. She was suffering from congestive heart failure. The dr told her she had a 90% chance of surviving the surgery but only gave her a maxiumum of two years to live if she did not have the surgery.

She breezed right through the surgery and recovery. She stayed in ICU for 48 hours and only because of her age. She was discharged five days later.

If is very normal to worry about not making it through surgery. Heck, I was even worried when I had gallbladder surgery. I just knew I would not wake up.

I think your dad will feel so much better after his surgery. My mom did not realize how bad she truly felt until now that she feels so much better.


Coachymom 05-14-2012 08:49 AM

Thank you so much for sharing this. This also makes me feel better. That is a great idea about the evc...I don't know if he will take one, he is super independent and doesn't take help easily...but I hope he will if he is feeling not well.
Thank you for the luck and good vibes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by babyrich (Post 44859762)
I know at least 3 people personally who had heart valve replacement. All did fine during the surgery and all continue to do fine years later. Their ages range from 42-62. I'm sure by October he will be fine. If he still gets tired quickly, rent an ECV to make the day easier on him.

Good luck!:goodvibes


Southerngirl71 05-14-2012 05:23 PM

Also, I forgot to mention my mom's age. She is 78. She had surgery in December for a prolapsed bladder and was in terrible pain. I was really worried about the open heart surgery since she does not tolerate pain well but the nurses actually had to make her take pain meds because she claimed it did not hurt. Since her blood pressure was climbling, they thought it could be from the pain and encouraged her to take the medicine.

Let me know if you have any questions. It can be very scary not knowing what to expect. The hardest part is getting them to take it easy until their chest and ribs heal.

Coachymom 05-15-2012 10:02 AM

Thank you!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southerngirl71 (Post 44884753)
Also, I forgot to mention my mom's age. She is 78. She had surgery in December for a prolapsed bladder and was in terrible pain. I was really worried about the open heart surgery since she does not tolerate pain well but the nurses actually had to make her take pain meds because she claimed it did not hurt. Since her blood pressure was climbling, they thought it could be from the pain and encouraged her to take the medicine.

Let me know if you have any questions. It can be very scary not knowing what to expect. The hardest part is getting them to take it easy until their chest and ribs heal.


3Paige14 05-16-2012 02:19 PM

My granny had an experimental heart valve replacement surgery last October. Seven months later, though she's had her host of other issues (don't get me started; she likes to make a big deal out of what are minor things to others), she's felt well and did great at physical therapy.

Did I mention that she's 86?

Coachymom 05-17-2012 10:03 AM

Thank you for sharing. I am glad your granny did well and is doing well.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3Paige14 (Post 44902884)
My granny had an experimental heart valve replacement surgery last October. Seven months later, though she's had her host of other issues (don't get me started; she likes to make a big deal out of what are minor things to others), she's felt well and did great at physical therapy.

Did I mention that she's 86?


katy621 05-21-2012 10:40 AM

Heart Valve
 
My husband had a mitral heart valve repair last year in April, 2012, and thank God everything turned out good. DH & I are sending our prayers your way!

Coachymom 05-21-2012 10:51 AM

Thank you so much! Thank you for sharing and I am so glad that your husband's surgery went well.
Quote:

Originally Posted by katy621 (Post 44945000)
My husband had a mitral heart valve repair last year in April, 2012, and thank God everything turned out good. DH & I are sending our prayers your way!


katy621 05-21-2012 11:24 AM

I'm sorry, I meant 2011. Mom in law died this morning, I not thinking very clear.

Coachymom 05-22-2012 09:23 AM

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. {{HUGS}}

Quote:

Originally Posted by katy621 (Post 44945445)
I'm sorry, I meant 2011. Mom in law died this morning, I not thinking very clear.


aml3679 12-19-2012 08:58 PM

I work as an RN in a cardiac OR. I see a lot of valve replacements and they go fine. People say they have a better life afterwards because they are not so tired or out of breath. It is major surgery and recovery takes a bit.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.