The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   The DIS Unplugged Podcast (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   am i the only one who is bothered that the rainforest is co-ed? - post 20 update (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2904940)

disneyholic family 04-04-2012 02:42 AM

am i the only one who is bothered that the rainforest is co-ed? - post 20 update

i was listening to Kevin's Disney Fantasy spa review and it reminded me about my recent discovery about the rainforest.

on our past cruises, we never went to the rainforest/spa - never even considered it (as we were busy with the kids).

But this time i'm taking my mom and sister on the Disney Dream, so i've been researching the different things we could do together.
The spa is something i thought my sister would adore!!!
so i thought the rainforest might be nice for all 3 of us....
that is, until i realized that it's co-ed.

Am i the only one who is bothered by the rainforest being co-ed? :confused3

Becx N Gav 04-04-2012 07:38 AM

It's not as if you are naked in there, I don't see the difference between that and the co-ed pools or hottubs :confused3

indychristine 04-04-2012 07:44 AM

I have not used the Rain Forest as of yet. We will be on the Fantasy in May and we are considering a day pass or 2.
I never really thought anything about it being Co-ed. Maybe that is because I am thinking of it kind of like the PP is....or maybe it is because my DH will be with me?
IDK.....but it does not bother me.

Fastpaks 04-04-2012 08:16 AM

I wasn't sure what to expect about it. Being a male not used to anything spa ish at all, once I got in the locker room and noticed everyone just trying to relax, I quickly forgot anything else other than it being a place to REALLY relax. I think you will too.

3BoysRDisneyFreaks 04-04-2012 08:37 AM

I guess I would be more surprised if it wasn't co-ed. Why wouldn't it be?

Sarah

ccgirl 04-04-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneyholic family (Post 44504103)
i was listening to Kevin's Disney Fantasy spa review and it reminded me about my recent discovery about the rainforest.

on our past cruises, we never went to the rainforest/spa - never even considered it (as we were busy with the kids).

But this time i'm taking my mom and sister on the Disney Dream, so i've been researching the different things we could do together.
The spa is something i thought my sister would adore!!!
so i thought the rainforest might be nice for all 3 of us....
that is, until i realized that it's co-ed.

Am i the only one who is bothered by the rainforest being co-ed? :confused3

All spas I go to are co-ed. They do not discriminate on the basis of gender. It's not like the men will be in the room with you as you get a massage.

DisneyKevin 04-04-2012 08:54 AM

I can understand what Beth is saying.

While spas are usually co-ed....steam rooms, saunas and showers are usually reserved for one gender or the other.

The Rainforest Room also has hot tubs and great, heated chaise lounges.

I'm certainly not offended by this being co-ed....and I wasn't offended by the public exfoliation....but I have to say, it did surprise me.

Think about being in a steam room with 10 people from your neighborhood, office, PTA etc...and they are all in bathing attire.

Now think about watching them smear and rub sugar scrub over all of their exposed skin.

And then......think about those same people rinsing sugar scrub off in large showers (while still in bathing attire) open to the rest of the Rainforest Room.

Maybe it's me....but I thought it was weird.

It's like shaving or shaving your legs with an audience.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with it.....but it's weird for it to be a communal co-ed activity.

shawy1269 04-04-2012 09:23 AM

I was wondering the same thing. It does sound strange. Then again, I have a hard time picturing how big the space is.

stenogoddess 04-04-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyKevin (Post 44505524)
I can understand what Beth is saying.

While spas are usually co-ed....steam rooms, saunas and showers are usually reserved for one gender or the other.

The Rainforest Room also has hot tubs and great, heated chaise lounges.

I'm certainly not offended by this being co-ed....and I wasn't offended by the public exfoliation....but I have to say, it did surprise me.

Think about being in a steam room with 10 people from your neighborhood, office, PTA etc...and they are all in bathing attire.

Now think about watching them smear and rub sugar scrub over all of their exposed skin.

And then......think about those same people rinsing sugar scrub off in large showers (while still in bathing attire) open to the rest of the Rainforest Room.

Maybe it's me....but I thought it was weird.

It's like shaving or shaving your legs with an audience.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with it.....but it's weird for it to be a communal co-ed activity.

I was good with it until you put it like that. Now I'm all :scared1::scared1::scared1:

DisneyKevin 04-04-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawy1269 (Post 44505817)
I was wondering the same thing. It does sound strange. Then again, I have a hard time picturing how big the space is.

Think 10 feet wide by 20 feet long with marble benches all around the perimeter.

Also....know that I'm really bad at estimating room size.

SamSam 04-04-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stenogoddess (Post 44506067)
I was good with it until you put it like that. Now I'm all :scared1::scared1::scared1:

I'm with you! I think I would find it hard to relax getting a scrub in a coed room.

Gigi22 04-04-2012 12:04 PM

Ever since I found a co-worker changing her clothing in the ladies' washroom at work, it's much harder to offend me. The same co-worker also flossed her teeth over the sink in the washroom. If there's something that should be private, it's flossing!

tjevans 04-04-2012 01:21 PM

The saunas I've been to provide rather skimpy towels, and sitting like a man tends to, with legs not together, all of your business is exposed.

So, yes, it surprised me when I heard it was co-ed.

Quicklabs 04-04-2012 04:27 PM

Nah--we lived in Germany for five years. First time to a spa, it was we who were getting strange looks because we had on our bathing suits. We were told in no uncertain terms by the Frau in charge that it wasn't allowed. The military community in which we lived was within walking distance to a gorgeous spa. We all went there regularly--it was just too nice to pass up. So, it got to be where we would run into our friends, neighbors and co-workers who were bathing "au natural". I laugh when I think of how hard we all tried to keep our eyes straight ahead as if we were walking in a formal military parade.

mytripsandraces 04-05-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quicklabs (Post 44509656)
Nah--we lived in Germany for five years. First time to a spa, it was we who were getting strange looks because we had on our bathing suits. We were told in no uncertain terms by the Frau in charge that it wasn't allowed. The military community in which we lived was within walking distance to a gorgeous spa. We all went there regularly--it was just too nice to pass up. So, it got to be where we would run into our friends, neighbors and co-workers who were bathing "au natural". I laugh when I think of how hard we all tried to keep our eyes straight ahead as if we were walking in a formal military parade.

Very OT, but I lived in Germany in/near the military community, too. Where were you? We lived in Mainz-Kostheim and used the Wiesbaden base for school, shopping, etc.