The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Port of Miami sounds crazy - anyone help? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2897398)

fredgirls 03-20-2012 07:13 AM

Port of Miami sounds crazy - anyone help?

We've a 5-night booked for next year and I just thought i'd start taking a look at the port of miami.
I wish i hadn't! :goodvibes

Now, I realise, until the Wonder starts sailing from Miami, we're not going to have much info on how Disney's going to do it, but I keep coming across reviews and reports that the port is crazy busy with huge crowds, luggage on wrong ships (right room, wrong ship :scared1: ), Hours in custom lines, hours to get into the port etc. - traffic at a standstill. People from LA and Chicago that can't believe the traffic!

Anyone have any experience with the port of Miami? Guess we've been spoilt with the relative calm of PC. :)

Thanks for any info. Hoping an Official Miami Thread might start soon like the Seattle one. Maybe any locals out there can share some insight?

mkmommy 03-20-2012 08:41 AM

I sailed once from Miami and it was fine.

Stayed the night before at the Hyatt which was not more than a $20 cab ride from the airport. Took taxi to the port and that was less than $10.

Disembarking was painless (just did San Pedro and that was slow). Rented a car through one that had a shuttle to their airport location ( Alamo or Dollar?)and did not have any problems with that or driving in Miami.

I do remember the taxi drivers were crazy, but they are like that every where.

fredgirls 03-20-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkmommy (Post 44374713)
I sailed once from Miami and it was fine.

Stayed the night before at the Hyatt which was not more than a $20 cab ride from the airport. Took taxi to the port and that was less than $10.

Disembarking was painless (just did San Pedro and that was slow). Rented a car through one that had a shuttle to their airport location ( Alamo or Dollar?)and did not have any problems with that or driving in Miami.

I do remember the taxi drivers were crazy, but they are like that every where.

Thanks. :goodvibes

mjfisherdc 03-20-2012 10:54 AM

We were on Carnival out of Miami last March. We did fly into Ft. Lauderdale and were shuttled to the port. We had no issues coming or going.

toontoy 03-20-2012 11:05 AM

We are going on the 6 night new years even cruise. I have a few questions.

We are staying at South beach a few nights before the cruise, how far is it to the terminal. We are flying in and out of FLL and I hear its about 25 miles is that correct. We are wondering about transfer options for us, its just me and my wife.

Also does anyone have any recommendations for everglade tours?

We tried to sign up for the cruise meet but it doesn't look like its open?

thanks for any help you can give me.

jilljill 03-20-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toontoy (Post 44375925)

We are staying at South beach a few nights before the cruise, how far is it to the terminal. We are flying in and out of FLL and I hear its about 25 miles is that correct. We are wondering about transfer options for us, its just me and my wife.

Someone posted on another Miami transfer thread that DCL is taking names for those flying in/out of FLL and if there's enough interest they will offer transfers from there. You will need to contact DCL to get on a list for that.
Link to that thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2885839

If you don't see a cruise meets thread for your sailing on the Meets Boards feel free to start a thread for your sailing. Don't for get to post the link to the meets thread in the Find Your Wonder 2012 Meets Thread for the link to be added to the first post.

Have you looked on www.cruisecritic.com at their Miami port forum for an Everglades excursion?

dawne98 03-20-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toontoy (Post 44375925)

South beach is not that far away at all, also I fly in and out of FLL all the time (I live in South Miami), you get on I-95 and go south and go right to the port of Miami from it. If you look at a map it is going to look crazy but it's not hard at all to get from FLL to South beach and the port.
We'll be on the May 2013 Disney cruise out of Miami I can not wait:)

gatorfreud 03-20-2012 12:30 PM

I have sailed twice out of the port of miami twice and drove and parked there. No trouble at all either time. We do go early though... so maybe people who say it's crazy are arriving late? Just like WDW... sure it is packed when you show up at noon.

I wouldn't worry. :)

Kim

fredgirls 03-20-2012 02:16 PM

Thanks everyone. :grouphug:
We're probably flying into FLL too so I'll call and get on the wait list for transfers. If enough people ask maybe they'll offer it. :goodvibes

PizzieDuster 03-20-2012 03:45 PM

Miami is a beautiful place to sail away from. We loved it. We stayed at the Inter-Continnental and asked for a port view. Nice hotel, nice rooms, awesome views. Walked 15 minutes to the pier area where all the restaurants are.

Watch the sailaway from the star side (not port side) of the ship. (I think that's what it's called.) The mansions are beautiful and the views of South Beach are cool! :thumbsup2

fredgirls 03-20-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PizzieDuster (Post 44378259)
Miami is a beautiful place to sail away from. We loved it. We stayed at the Inter-Continnental and asked for a port view. Nice hotel, nice rooms, awesome views. Walked 15 minutes to the pier area where all the restaurants are.

Watch the sailaway from the star side (not port side) of the ship. (I think that's what it's called.) The mansions are beautiful and the views of South Beach are cool! :thumbsup2

Thanks. :goodvibes I'll take a look at that hotel.

breakingd_awn 03-20-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredgirls (Post 44377409)
Thanks everyone. :grouphug:
We're probably flying into FLL too so I'll call and get on the wait list for transfers. If enough people ask maybe they'll offer it. :goodvibes

Hi fredgirls :) We've never done the DCL transfers before. Is it just from the airport to the port?

fredgirls 03-20-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakingd_awn (Post 44380545)
Hi fredgirls :) We've never done the DCL transfers before. Is it just from the airport to the port?

Hi There! :wave:
Are you missing the :beach: as much as we are?

I have a feeling we'll be passing each other often in our 'mission to plan' over the next 11 months!:)

We've never used dcl transfers. I'm assuming the $20 is each way as you specify airport to port. And there's another option for port to airport. So you can choose either or both. That's it for transfers though I think.

See you around:goodvibes

fredgirls 03-20-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PizzieDuster (Post 44378259)

Best rate is $429. :scared1: Looks really nice but we'll need to find a deal to stay here. :)

PizzieDuster 03-20-2012 09:14 PM

OMG! I know way back I did not pay that much...we went through RCCL, airfare, hotel, transfers and all.

Good idea...don't pay that much! :thumbsup2

The only traffic we hit was the first cruise out of Miami, we were taking their transfer (bus) and ran into Miami Heat, or whatever pro basketball team) pre game time. Next time, I did not purchase transfers we took a cab much earlier then the transfer time and did not have to wait for the bus to go to other hotels and/or other late passengers. That worked our better.